Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-unlock no longer working...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put mine in a bowl in the house when I walk in and I grab it out of the bowl when I'm walking out to get in the car. If I'm already outside and need to get in my car then I walk inside and grab it out of the bowl.
I'll be curious to see if my key bowl will be too close to my Tesla in that it causes issues and drains the fob battery.

You could drive away with it on the bumper if you were not paying attention. Then when it fell off it would get interesting if you got out of the car and it locked. :)

Would that be possible? I wonder if the car would let me drive away if the fob was outside yet that close? Scary thought. If so, all the more reason to be in the habit of keeping it in my pocket. I guess I have an experiment to try tomorrow...

I'm in the same boat, but with a slightly different twist. When my car updated to 2.17.95, auto-present stopped working and my passenger falcon wing door wouldn't open. My local SC fixed the falcon wing door issue with a reset to the door controller, but at the time they didn't know how to fix the failed auto-present feature. I'll schedule an appointment to have the keys re-paired. I really miss the magic of the door opening for me. :)

I put mine in a bowl in the house when I walk in and I grab it out of the bowl when I'm walking out to get in the car. If I'm already outside and need to get in my car then I walk inside and grab it out of the bowl.
I'll be curious to see if my key bowl will be too close to my Tesla in that it causes issues and drains the fob battery.

Ahh the key bowl - we have a bowl full of keys next to our door as well, and we even call it the key bowl.

"Honey where is my spare car key?"
"I don't know, check the key bowl..."

Seems that if it was too close you should be able to go to the car without the fob and be able to open the door.

Reactions: loganintx
You could leave your fob on the rear bumper until you are ready to drive or get in.
The last item I left on the rear bumper of a car was a Sony Walkman and I was about 10 years old. We retraced our path through town and I found it laying on the side of the road in the gutter. It still worked. Was scraped up a bit and needed scotch tape to keep the door closed. I've never put a valuable item on the bumper of a car since then.

I was told by my SC that, for whatever reason, 2.17.95 managed to mess up the security code with the FOBs for SOME cars, so the car does not think the key is legit and won't open via proximity or auto present. Same issue is causing car not to recognize key and give the "key not in car" warning.

I said that's really odd considering it will still unlock the car with button presses and the car will acknowledge the key to let car turn on and go. They said it is odd, but the security for proximity is different than starting car, etc.

As far as I know, the key has two radios in it. It uses Bluetooth LE (similar to iBeacons) for the proximity stuff, and then it has a more traditional RF radio that transmits the security codes to the car that allow it to unlock, start, etc - similar to how the older keys worked.

The BTLE stuff allows the car to more precisely place the key around the car and identify which direction you're walking from and so on. This is why the self-presenting doors are a bit more complex than the presenting door handles in the S, it can tell the RF radio is "close" but not which way you're coming from or anything else.

EDIT: The key also has an RFID chip in it that doesn't need power, and that's how you can use the key to unlock and start the car by holding it in a special area when the battery goes dead in the key.

Coming back to this, it seems my X has developed an issue with auto unlock now. When I walk up to it with the key and press a door handle or the rear hatch button it's like it doesn't immediately recognize the key and nothing happens. I have to press a second time and then it unlocks and opens. This started last night... This morning it did it again I drove it about 10 miles and when I returned to the car and got in, I had the red alert symbol on the large touchscreen and the touchscreen would not respond. Dash display said "Touchscreen needs service". Hmmm.... So I did the reset by pressing in the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel and after a reboot, everything seemed to operate normally again except the auto unlock. Hmmm...

I started having the same issue including charge cable removal with a recent update. My X is at the Service Center for rear seat replacement and they are going to update our fobs while they have it. I'll post if that changes anything.
OK, quoting myself now.:rolleyes:
Car is still in the shop. Last update I was told that they got one key fob to work properly but not the other one. They tried a new fob and that didn't work either. They are suspecting the body control module, but were in communication with the factory techs on whether that is the source of the problem. Personally I put the blame on the recent software update.

I'll re-post on the solution when I get the car back.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
I picked up my X on Wednesday 5/18 and have found the non functioning auto unlock when approaching the car to be a royal pain.
You have to press try handle in once to unlock, then go to the back of car to unplug and then press door handle a second time for the door to swing open.
I know I can use the fob to unlock on approach but the fob is usually in a bag or pocket.
I called the 1800 tesla line and they blamed it on a weak battery in the fobs but from what everyone is saying here is that version 2.17.95 is the problem!

Definitely not a weak battery problem. I bet your auto-unlock will work just fine if you turn on the auto-presenting front door (if you have it). But then you have to deal with the annoying door. Our auto-unlock worked as it should when we took delivery of the car and quit working about 3 days later. I don't think there was a software update in the meantime, but we're on 2.17.95 like everyone else. First thing I did was replace the fob battery. I've done everything but a factory reset. Seems one of the service guys at our local SC says that will usually fix the problem, although temporarily as it will fail again. They are positive it's a software problem as most of us here believe.

On the other hand, the auto-unlock not working as it should seems pretty minor compared to many of the other problems I read about from other X owners. Outside of that issue, our car is perfect. I do have one alignment issue with the rear hatch that seems to have developed since taking delivery. Looks like an imbalance of tension or force between the hinges or cylinders.

Auto unlock hasn't worked for me since picking up my X. I don't really mind having to press the handle to get the door to open since I expect to do that anyway (auto open is turned off), but it's been a nuisance when it comes to unplugging the charging cable. Hopefully they are able to fix it in the software soon.

Auto unlock and auto present worked perfectly for me until 2.17.95. Right after it installed, they stopped working. X is heading to SC tomorrow to fix this issue. I replaced fob batteries and that's not it. I will keep everyone posted.

Any update? My auto-unlock worked today while I was out and then failed again after returning home. I'm thinking now that even though the car locks when I walk away, it doesn't unlock again because the fob never travels far enough away. I'm going to do more testing and put the fobs in the room of our house furthest from the garage and will see how it does as I'm out and about some more over the next several days. I've been in a habit of double-pressing the fob to unlock it while out because I usually have kids with me that race ahead to the car so I haven't really thought about it.

My car needed a new "Central Body Controller". Now auto present and auto unlock are working like a charm. I probably just jinxed myself.

Luckily, my SC is awesome and guessed it was the body controller so they ordered the part before my appointment and got it done ASAP rather than making me wait for the part to come in. I love them!