Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you need windshield wipers press the button on the stock. The wipers come on. Wiper controls appear on the lower left of the screen for 5 or 10 seconds. Select the speed you want.
No other car manufacturer has such an ergonomically poor solution. Want wipers? Just take your eyes off the road, refocus on the lower part of the screen. Pray that the road is not bumpy. Then pick a speed, if you can read them. Then look back at the road.

Reactions: fholbert
They’re not fixed. I don’t see how they can be without an actual rain sensor.
Someone posted on X that they were fixed and Elon responded saying how difficult it was to fix. But you are right, a rain sensor would be the real fix. I don't like that Tesla keeps removing or not using systems that have been working really well for decades and don't cost much.

Reactions: E90alex
Someone posted on X that they were fixed and Elon responded saying how difficult it was to fix. But you are right, a rain sensor would be the real fix. I don't like that Tesla keeps removing or not using systems that have been working really well for decades and don't cost much.

I give them credit for trying new things... otherwise we wouldn't know what's possible... but at some point, they should concede and add rain sensors. I mean, what's the cost of a rain sensor? $3?

Nope, they're still broken. Big time.

I give them credit for trying new things... otherwise we wouldn't know what's possible... but at some point, they should concede and add rain sensors. I mean, what's the cost of a rain sensor? $3?
There's a HUGE difference between R&Ding new features or options to bring to market and what Tesla is doing which is forcing customers to alpha test features before they even bother determining if it's a thing or not. They have a track record of doing this and it's especially infuriating when they remove perfectly good systems to do so.

Rain sensing wipers are broken on Teslas. Pretty important aspect of a car that needs to work for safety. I know of no other car company that has had this kind of problem with raining sensing wipers going back decades. Quite the glaring omission for a car company that claims to be the epitome of safety.

I too give credit where credit is due however if a product is tested before release, any manufacturer knows if the problem has been fixed or not. There is no need to release something to the public and see what happens. Fix it, test and then know the outcome. Based on my experience with current software (end of April 2024) the problem is not fixed and therefore should not have been advertised as such. It may be better, but it still does not work and the manual wiper control is sub par to even my 2018 Honda. I am not the Tesla test facility, I don’t need to be part of their ‘new things’ testing program.

Someone should text Elon on X about this because he claimed they got it working right now, which isn't true. Mine started wiping a few times for no reason while driving on a trip over the weekend, my windshield was already clean.
Last thing I saw was a tweet from someone who's responsible for this (can't remember his name) saying that major improvement was coming soon. That was a month or so ago I think. Haven't seen anything roll out via OTA yet. Maybe that guy was laid off...

Auto wipers have never been great, but since the last update I've had at least one or more dry-windshield wipes on almost every drive. It used to be that this would happen only when the car was facing into the sun, but now it seems to happen in all sorts of lighting conditions. This is happening on both my Model 3 and Model Y, and neither activated the auto-wipers in those conditions in the past.

I've installed S3XY buttons in both cars and have a button on the back of the left steering wheel spoke set for a long press to toggle the auto wipers on and off, a short press to increase speed, and a double press to reduce speed, which is marginally easier than using the voice command or touchscreen to do the same actions.

Totally agree. Forget about FSD, which is still five years out for the NHTSA to approve it (especially after the first few deaths). Fire the 5th Grader in the basement who writes code for the wipers and hire a wiper engineer from ANY other company.

Not a drive goes by without the wipers turning themselves on, even from an OFF position and rubbing a dry windshield. Has Musk just bought a wiper blade company, or what??

Disgusting. They obviously worked before. "IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T BREAK IT!"

Fix the damn wipers!

Seriously.

Cameras don't see rain. You cannot 'see' something you can't see with processing tricks if it can't see it in the first place.

Rain in a constant moving video stream of car cam is just a slightly bigger blur. You are trying to unblur the rain separated from everything else and failing.

Neat problem to solve though and that's probably why it's priority number two after fixing FSD. Hell, it may even be priority number one because solving it would be a game change for the robot spying on the world for how to drive.

I think that Elon thinks that all of these problems will eventually be sorted out in software, but I'm not convinced.

I actually don't care about auto wipers much... I just wish the manual wiper controls were better. As you mentioned, they're also subpar.
I'm sure software can fix the issue, just not yet and wish they used hardware that is proven to work instead, until they can get the software to work. And we should have the option not to have auto wipers or auto high beams on with Autopilot/FSD. If the computer wants the wipers or high beams on to see better then it could prompt us and turn off Autopilot/FSD if we don't respond. But don't force us to use a system that doesn't work right due to bad software.

I'm sure software can fix the issue, just not yet and wish they used hardware that is proven to work instead, until they can get the software to work. And we should have the option not to have auto wipers or auto high beams on with Autopilot/FSD. If the computer wants the wipers or high beams on to see better then it could prompt us and turn off Autopilot/FSD if we don't respond. But don't force us to use a system that doesn't work right due to bad software.
This is a hardware problem.

Reactions: L_Mont and E90alex
This is a hardware problem.
The fact that it could easily be solved with hardware doesn't make the software problem a hardware problem.

It's really more a problem of ego over common sense. The task was set, detect rain by way of camera images. It's not a new problem as I previously mentioned. It has never been solved.

Most people would have gone with going back to proven hardware a long time ago and continued to work the problem in the background. Big E is not most people.

The fact that it could easily be solved with hardware doesn't make the software problem a hardware problem.

It's really more a problem of ego over common sense. The task was set, detect rain by way of camera images. It's not a new problem as I previously mentioned. It has never been solved.

Most people would have gone with going back to proven hardware a long time ago and continued to work the problem in the background. Big E is not most people.
You can’t eliminate the hardware required for a function and then declare when that function no longer works it’s a software problem. The root of this problem is that the correct hardware was eliminated.