Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic Emergency Braking - very aggressive, almost caused me to be rear-ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time I had AEB kick in last night and it was so aggressive that it almost caused me to be rear-ended. This was in busy city driving in San Francisco last night at evening rush. After accelerating from a red light and over-cooking my speed a bit, I was braking hard (but totally in control) to avoid rear ending a car that was stopped in my lane. It was a rapid deceleration but totally in control and not panicked but in the last 20-25 feet AEB kicked in and abruptly slowed the car to a dead stop. The car behind me stopped quick enough to avoid hitting me but I got a dirty look from that driver.

I was definitely going too fast but I was also in control of the braking with room to spare between me and the stopped car so the abruptness really surprised me.

Curious if anyone has had a similar experience with AEB? I'm guessing the computer misread something, it was dark with lots of rush hour traffic.

For the first time I had AEB kick in last night and it was so aggressive that it almost caused me to be rear-ended. This was in busy city driving in San Francisco last night at evening rush. After accelerating from a red light and over-cooking my speed a bit, I was braking hard (but totally in control) to avoid rear ending a car that was stopped in my lane. It was a rapid deceleration but totally in control and not panicked but in the last 20-25 feet AEB kicked in and abruptly slowed the car to a dead stop. The car behind me stopped quick enough to avoid hitting me but I got a dirty look from that driver.

I was definitely going too fast but I was also in control of the braking with room to spare between me and the stopped car so the abruptness really surprised me.

Curious if anyone has had a similar experience with AEB? I'm guessing the computer misread something, it was dark with lots of rush hour traffic.

Videos are popular here. You should post one of the incident to get more traffic on your post!

The car behind you needs to leave enough space that it can brake safely if you brake. What you are describing is that you went too fast and the guy behind you drove too fast and too close behind you.

Last edited:
This is the first time I've read of an AEB activation that actually seemed like a real AEB as opposed to phantom braking on TACC. Glad to hear it worked. But yes, modulating the brake to maximize the braking distance for the car behind you is always on my mind in these situations. Kind of tough to hit the accelerator to do that if AEB has taken over.

Let me see if I got this correct:

1) you were driving too fast in an extremely congested city
2) you were hammering the throttle coming off a stop light
3) The guy behind you does the same as he is tailgating you
4) You notice a car in front of you, which if you maintain current speed, you will crush into
5) You start to slow, and as your car gets within 8 yards of the car in front, slows even more.
6) And since the car in front of you is at a dead stop, your car stops too, so you don't rear-end it.

And this is a problem?

But yet you apparently complain bcos the guy who was tailgating, and also speeding in a congested city, gave you a dirty look?

(Sorry, I don't get it.)

Let me see if I got this correct:

1) you were driving too fast in an extremely congested city
2) you were hammering the throttle coming off a stop light
3) The guy behind you does the same as he is tailgating you
4) You notice a car in front of you, which if you maintain current speed, you will crush into
5) You start to slow, and as your car gets within 8 yards of the car in front, slows even more.
6) And since the car in front of you is at a dead stop, your car stops too, so you don't rear-end it.

And this is a problem?

But yet you apparently complain bcos the guy who was tailgating, and also speeding in a congested city, gave you a dirty look?

(Sorry, I don't get it.)

Yes, that’s pretty much it. I was driving too fast as was the car behind me and he was traveling too close.

Not complaining. I’m grateful for the tech and there’s no way my car could have known that I was totally in control. It did the right thing and took over but it just really surprised me and the fool who was following to close. It’s like my car brake checked him on its own.

I’ve had the car for a year and a half and have been so impressed with all of its features. Driving a rental BMW for a week now and really missing my car from the future.

• Disagree
Reactions: dahaz22
Yes, that’s pretty much it. I was driving too fast as was the car behind me and he was traveling too close.

Not complaining. I’m grateful for the tech and there’s no way my car could have known that I was totally in control. It did the right thing and took over but it just really surprised me and the fool who was following to close. It’s like my car brake checked him on its own.

I’ve had the car for a year and a half and have been so impressed with all of its features. Driving a rental BMW for a week now and really missing my car from the future.

Then a better title might have been: 'I've driving like a fool in the city at night at AEB saved my behind.'

• Disagree
I too have had the AEB kick in too easily, and its not fun. Best to remember to not drive so aggressively, that's the computer trying to prevent you wrecking.
If AEB takes over, a sharp press of the brake or turning the wheel hard will override it in theory. You cannot accelerate out of an AEB event with gentle throttle.

If it's perfect (don't get me wrong, I love my model 3 stealth) but I have been driving at the speed limit on dry straight flat road (cruise control on) and have had the emergency brake take over and nearly bring me to a complete stop just because of oncoming traffic.
It was my attempt at humor...it seemed that everyone in the thread was denying it's an issue so I was poking fun at the fan bois. Love my Tesla but some things are not ready for prime time.