Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read in one of waymo reviews that in self driving mode the safety driver is not allowed to operate. If he tries the car will go to the side and park.

Not sure whether they do this during regular taxi service.

From the Waymo One article only "disengagement" was mentioned. Did the review mention what is the purpose of car go to the side and park?

Nobody but Tesla accepted payment from customers for a product that did not yet exist.
To play devil’s advocate, Tesla is charging an extraordinarily small fraction of the real value of FSD. Since they have an extraordinarily small chance of success maybe they’re charging a fair price for that possibility? Obviously they should explicitly say that in their marketing though.
I mainly posted the article because @CarlK was complaining that other companies were not offering timelines for getting rid of safety drivers. As pointed out in the article, they have offered many failed timelines, just like Tesla. They are now much less confident than they used to be.

Reactions: scottf200
To play devil’s advocate, Tesla is charging an extraordinarily small fraction of the real value of FSD. Since they have an extraordinarily small chance of success maybe they’re charging a fair price for that possibility? Obviously they should explicitly say that in their marketing though.
I mainly posted the article because @CarlK was complaining that other companies were not offering timelines for getting rid of safety drivers. As pointed out in the article, they have offered many failed timelines, just like Tesla. They are now much less confident than they used to be.

I can not read the NYT article without subscription although I'm certain the author, like most everyone, could only see superficial things but does not have a deep technical understanding. Although sometimes even superficial things could give you a lot of clue of what's going on.

Complaining is not the right word. Pointing things out is what it is. It's very clear, from Waymo to Mobileye to Uber, they were lot more confident a year or two ago about full self driving cars than they are now. Everyone seems to be just silent on this whole subject. They started with what they knew best (that does not mean much though) at the time. After struggled for a few years finally they realized nothing they do will get them there, my words of course but I can't think of any better explanation than that.

As for if you think the price of FSD now is a good deal or not it's all your own decision. Just like when you buy a pre-IPO stock anything is possible. There are always people who made the right decision and people who did not. On the eventual FSD value my thought is it could worth $100K for commercial use but it should worth a whole lot less for private use only. How much less I don't know but Tesla may not even has a pricing strategy figured out yet. I don't own a FSD eligible Tesla but if I do I would just pay the $6,000 for what I will want to use it for. It will definitely worth that money in a year of two even if it could not be a full driverless robot taxi.

I paid for high speed charging on my 2011 Leaf ($2k). For 2 years there were no high speed chargers nearby (even with 500M federal government grant).

Sprint charged me for 4G that didn't exist in my region.

Did either of these companies sell you the product along with a video showing it working (in your area specifically I guess?), and imply it was ready to go "pending validation and regulatory approval"? Like, look, here's a 4G cell tower installed right down the street from your house, we just need the FCC to give us the go-ahead to turn it on!

Did either of these companies sell you the product along with a video showing it working (in your area specifically I guess?), and imply it was ready to go "pending validation and regulatory approval"? Like, look, here's a 4G cell tower installed right down the street from your house, we just need the FCC to give us the go-ahead to turn it on!
Well, Tesla has not said "its ready to go", either. They are saying feature complete end of year i.e. the feature is not even built yet.

In the case of Leaf, yes, there were multiple videos of Leaf charging on CHAdeMO. Washington was one of the 5 states selected to have the first chargers installed.

Cutting edge/bleeding edge has such issues. How many bought HDTVs when there was no TV programming in HD (except for a few HD loops on PBS) ?

Nope, they said it was in Chicago and charged me anyway, didn't give me a choice (unless I wanted a lesser device).

Well, Tesla has not said "its ready to go", either. They are saying feature complete end of year i.e. the feature is not even built yet.

History lesson -- back in 2016 when they announce and started selling AP2 they put out a demo video showing the car driving itself autonomously on city streets and parking lots, also parking itself autonomously in a large parking lot. They used this video (which in hindsight, we all know was essentially faked and was a dead-end, technologically) to sell FSD as pretty much done and just "pending validation and regulatory approval".

That's why a lot of people are legitimately upset at Tesla. It's not because they missed their targets or were over-optimistic. It's because they were over-optimistic and they misled people about what the current state of the technology was, while accepting payment for that technology. In my book that's called fraud.

Reactions: Cheburashka
History lesson -- back in 2016 when they announce and started selling AP2 they put out a demo video showing the car driving itself autonomously on city streets and parking lots, also parking itself autonomously in a large parking lot. They used this video (which in hindsight, we all know was essentially faked and was a dead-end, technologically) to sell FSD as pretty much done and just "pending validation and regulatory approval".

That's why a lot of people are legitimately upset at Tesla. It's not because they missed their targets or were over-optimistic. It's because they were over-optimistic and they misled people about what the current state of the technology was, while accepting payment for that technology. In my book that's called fraud.

Sprint canceled 4G in favor of 4G LTE. I used it for a total of 3 days when I visited DC.
Not that it matters.

They used this video (which in hindsight, we all know was essentially faked and was a dead-end, technologically) to sell FSD as pretty much done and just "pending validation and regulatory approval".
I'm sure there was more than just this when they sold FSD option. Do you remember all the small font disclaimers ?

BTW, I'm not defending Tesla practice or the demo video here - but to say they were the only ones who have "accepted" money for future feature promises is not being truthful.

All "ads" can potentially come under the same category, too. Will you really start dating that supermodel if you buy that car ?

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlK and rnortman
I'm sure there was more than just this when they sold FSD option. Do you remember all the small font disclaimers ?

BTW, I'm not defending Tesla practice or the demo video here - but to say they were the only ones who have "accepted" money for future feature promises is not being truthful.

All "ads" can potentially come under the same category, too. Will you really start dating that supermodel if you buy that car ?

Exactly -- caveat emptor, because there are hucksters like Musk around every corner.