Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any eta? A big value of FSD would be reducing the speed in “special” speed zones because they are so short, dangerous, and can also need speed traps.
We never get real ETAs from Tesla. There are a list of things not programmed into FSD currently and school zones/school busses are near the top that upset people, but it's not actually Full Self Driving, it's a driver assist tool currently.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Any eta? A big value of FSD would be reducing the speed in “special” speed zones because they are so short, dangerous, and can also need speed traps.

I think it's a feature Tesla is deliberately not working on first, as to not give you a false sense of security. Because it doesn't recognize special speed zones now, you must pay attention in them and manually adjust your speed. Take it as an opportunity to monitor the road extra carefully around children.

We never get real ETAs from Tesla. There are a list of things not programmed into FSD currently and school zones/school busses are near the top that upset people, but it's not actually Full Self Driving, it's a driver assist tool currently.
Understood
I subscribed this am and did my first “FSD” drive. It’s a mind bender beyond AP. Liked that it was instantaneous from subscribe to use.
The occasional turning signal on and then off for when there is no turned planned is strange.
I have a 1500 mile trip coming up and will be amazong. As stated, currently on 11.3.6 and would be great if Tesla moved me to 11.4.6 soon.
I do I send strange event issues to Tesla?

Understood
I subscribed this am and did my first “FSD” drive. It’s a mind bender beyond AP. Liked that it was instantaneous from subscribe to use.
The occasional turning signal on and then off for when there is no turned planned is strange.
I have a 1500 mile trip coming up and will be amazong. As stated, currently on 11.3.6 and would be great if Tesla moved me to 11.4.6 soon.
I do I send strange event issues to Tesla?
You can do voice notes if the window pops up after a disengagement.

You can also do the regular bug report, but that does not go to Tesla (Tesla has to actively download it):
"You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Report", "Feedback", or "Bug report" followed by brief comments."

This is getting very off topic for this thread though. There are a ton of other threads about FSD operation, including ones about your specific version (or you can start your own).

Reactions: kpanda17
You can also do the regular bug report, but that does not go to Tesla (Tesla has to actively download it):
"You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Report", "Feedback", or "Bug report" followed by brief comments."
This doesn't go to Tesla though, so it's a waste. It just tags the information for service to pull later and only stays in the car for about 30 days.

What "permit" do you imagine they need to be able to introduce Robotaxis in many places?

(Disclaimer- I don't think Tesla is anywhere near the system being capable of being a robotaxi--- but the idea they need "regulators to approve it to do it at all" simply is not true)

????
Who & through what process does a company become able to legally have a car on the road without a driver in America?

????
Who & through what process does a company become able to legally have a car on the road without a driver in America?
Almost nothing on the federal level, as long as it meets fmvss (which any retrofitted car does) it can be put on the road. There are many states that have no permit or approval procedures.

It is the companies trying to put vehicles out without steering wheels for example that need federal approval.

????

Seems like you already got some answers.

But yeah- in the states that allow them (and there's a decent # now) you mostly just have to self-certify the car can drive itself and obey traffic laws and you have insurance.

That's it.

They don't even check if you're lying.

For example the form to fill out for Nevada:

Excluding basic identifying info like who your company is and what model(s) the form is for it's ONE page where you check off a few boxes that are essentially TRUST ME BRO IT SELF DRIVES.

L4 is where the car can drive itself without a human, not L5.

Indeed, the many companies operating robotaxis to the public today are all L4.

Ugh why did you split the quotes apart, makes a reply next to impossible...

First for Teslas announced robotaxi yes you need level 5. Level 4 explicitly needs geofencing and Tesla has opted against this...Also you can just drop all your comments about other companies as they have opted for different technology than Tesla so they are irrelevant. TLDR yes for Tesla you *need* L5.

Re: Liability
Waymo is willing to take that liability on. There is no evidence that Tesla will do so, in fact given the current liability model they are pushing the liability onto the driver/owner. It remains to be seen when they hit L5 and offer robotaxis (in several decades) how they will handle liability then. Like I said it is a non-technical question that needs an answer. Talking about Waymo, different technology, different solutions, is again totally irrelevant to this thread.

Re: Fault
My point was, with a witness and police report one insurance company denied fault until an arbiter found their driver at fault. Your comments about cameras again totally irrelevant. Today with witnesses this stuff happens, cameras will make no difference.

Re: State lines
I just said what happens if the car crosses state lines, yes I meant and gets in an accident obviously, but responsibility and clean up and cost of clean up all have to be addressed as different states have different laws.

Re: Sued for death
Your answer of Waymo means you think Tesla will get sued if a Tesla robotaxi kills someone. Guarantee you 100% that Tesla will *NEVER* release robotaxis if they think they can get sued for a death involving their software. Their lawyers will 100% force someone else to take the responsibility.

>That's not to say there aren't complexities that need to be worked out....just...not most of the ones you've raised.
As I demonstrated yes exactly the ones I mentioned as your answers are completely and totally 100% irrelevant to Tesla.

First for Teslas announced robotaxi yes you need level 5. Level 4 explicitly needs geofencing

Again your basic facts are wrong.

L4 does not require geofencing. It can HAVE geofencing and still be L4, but it can also NOT be geofenced while still being L4.

Waymo is willing to take that liability on. There is no evidence that Tesla will do so

Elon calling out autopilot isn't autonomous so the driver would be legally liable-- but that will change once their cars are autonomous.

Previously he'd said that, even with just autopilot (and so obviously extending to higher levels) that "If it is something endemic to our design, certainly we would take responsibility for that"... and once you remove the human the only place left for the fault to lie is with their design (assuming it was caused by the Tesla vehicle at all).

Also the fact that most states that allow certifying your cars as autonomous require a declaration of insurance from the car company for just this reason.

My point was, with a witness and police report one insurance company denied fault until an arbiter found their driver at fault. Your comments about cameras again totally irrelevant. Today with witnesses this stuff happens, cameras will make no difference.

The difference between video and a fallible human witness is quite large, legally speaking.

I just said what happens if the car crosses state lines, yes I meant and gets in an accident obviously, but responsibility and clean up and cost of clean up all have to be addressed as different states have different laws.

They already are since all that stuff happens today with humans driving.

Your answer of Waymo means you think Tesla will get sued if a Tesla robotaxi kills someone. Guarantee you 100% that Tesla will *NEVER* release robotaxis if they think they can get sued for a death involving their software.

Then they will never release robotaxis, because they'd have to be responsible for any death caused by their self-driving system.

Their lawyers will 100% force someone else to take the responsibility.

That's....not how liability works... at all.

A lawyer can't "force" someone else to take responsibility for something they have no responsibility for.

Last edited:
Level 4 explicitly needs geofencing and Tesla has opted against this...

This is incorrect. L4 does not require geofencing. L4 just requires a limited ODD. Geofencing can be one of those limits but is not the only limit. You could also limit the ODD by time of day, weather, road type, traffic conditions etc... So for example, a robotaxi could be non-geofenced but only allowed to drive between the times of 5am to 5pm and it would also be L4. Or a robotaxi could be non-geofenced but only allowed to drive on clear days and it would be L4. So no, Tesla does not need L5 to do robotaxis just because they don't geofence, Tesla could do L4 robotaxis that are non-geofenced but have some other ODD limit.

First for Teslas announced robotaxi yes you need level 5. Level 4 explicitly needs geofencing and Tesla has opted against this...Also you can just drop all your comments about other companies as they have opted for different technology than Tesla so they are irrelevant. TLDR yes for Tesla you *need* L5.

Waymo is willing to take that liability on. There is no evidence that Tesla will do so, in fact given the current liability model they are pushing the liability onto the driver/owner. It remains to be seen when they hit L5 and offer robotaxis (in several decades) how they will handle liability then. Like I said it is a non-technical question that needs an answer. Talking about Waymo, different technology, different solutions, is again totally irrelevant to this thread.

Your answer of Waymo means you think Tesla will get sued if a Tesla robotaxi kills someone. Guarantee you 100% that Tesla will *NEVER* release robotaxis if they think they can get sued for a death involving their software. Their lawyers will 100% force someone else to take the responsibility.

>That's not to say there aren't complexities that need to be worked out....just...not most of the ones you've raised.
As I demonstrated yes exactly the ones I mentioned as your answers are completely and totally 100% irrelevant to Tesla.
L4/5 means Tesla is the driver. The driver is the insured entity. There is no way they are changing laws to get out of that, period. They'll have to accept responsibility for driving because by definition the car is driving itself. Anyway this is all about tesla and not progress in the field in general. Which is the point of this thread.