Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brad Templeton has good article on the big Cruise stall:

He offers a few solutions:
1) Have the cars use more than 1 data connection so that if one fails, there is a back-up.
2) Cars could use a spare TV broadcast channel to communicate with remote assistance.
3) Have cars communicate with each other in a mesh.
4) Get the autonomous driving better at handling these cases without remote assistance

His conclusion:

I’m sure Cruise doesn’t need to be told this, but they need to improve their actions in these stall-outs. They are trying to be cautious, but as a result they are doing things that are not at all like human problems. The general goal is that robotaxis will drive better than humans, first of all on a safety basis, but also in other ways. Human driven vehicles just don’t often get stuck like this for long periods. If they have mechanical failures, usually they are pushed off the road by willing passers-by within a minute or two, and that’s very difficult to imagine happening with a robotaxi. Cruise recently implemented a system so that emergency workers can get into the cars and drive them away — Waymo has had this for some time — but they are not ready to trust random strangers to guide or drive them.

The public should be more tolerant of these mistakes, but the public is not likely to feel that it should. In the big picture, a few mistakes with early small fleets speed up the arrival of big fleets of vehicles that make fewer mistakes than humans, for a big net win — a few mistakes with a small fleet in exchange for reducing problems at large scale. We only can see what’s right in front of us, rather than what is to come. At least on social media.

Reactions: Bitdepth
Here's some additional local San Francisco news related to commercial auto autonomy:

In the commentary, there was an interesting reference about having the possibility
of first responder overrides, similar to firefighters having keyless overrides (by law)
for elevators...

They also quipped about the booing of Waymo during a Patti Smith concert.
As it happened, I was at the Stern Grove event too, joining in the boos, mainly reflecting
the youthful protest energy just for oldtimes sake.

Because of safety alone, I'm warming up to Waymo here in town, although
I remain concerned about congestion disintermediating public transportation.
Would their business model fail with congestion pricing?

At least folks are starting to realize that safety as the #1 factor is finally ruling
the day. It may be that Tesla has missed the market opportunity to the pioneers
at least in SF.

Last edited:
Here we see another example of Cruise not stopping for pedestrians crossing the street and just maneuvering around them at close range. You can see the pedestrians look back at the Cruise like "WTF".

Since we don't get to see the visualizations on Cruise like we do with Tesla, we don't know if this was a perception issue or a coding issue - did it properly see the pedestrians and their distance from the car? If so, the coding was at fault. If it did not, then the sensors were not working properly.

Since we don't get to see the visualizations on Cruise like we do with Tesla, we don't know if this was a perception issue or a coding issue - did it properly see the pedestrians and their distance from the car? If so, the coding was at fault. If it did not, then the sensors were not working properly.

True, we don't know for sure. But the conditions were normal and I don't see any reason why the sensors would not have detected them. So I am assuming the perception did properly detect the pedestrians and their distance from the car. So my guess is that it is a planning issue but I think it is deliberate. I think the Cruise is programmed to be that assertive since we've seen this behavior consistently from Cruise for awhile now. In fact, it is possible that Cruise deliberately programmed the cars to be assertive with pedestrians because of the issues before where pedestrians would jump in front of the Cruise to cause them to stall. And since the cars have excellent perception and good path prediction of pedestrians, Cruise probably feels like the cars can confidently get that close to pedestrians and not hit them. I get that you don't want AVs to be overly cautious to the point of paralysis but I don't like this behavior from Cruise. I think it is too aggressive. I know I would be freaked out if a driverless car just drove right at me like that. I think AVs do need to yield to pedestrians.

Reactions: Dewg
Cruise probably feels like the cars can confidently get that close to pedestrians and not hit them. I get that you don't want AVs to be overly cautious to the point of paralysis but I don't like this behavior from Cruise. I think it is too aggressive. I know I would be freaked out if a driverless car just drove right at me like that. I think AVs do need to yield to pedestrians.
Depending on locality it is likely illegal behavior. I'm pretty sure that in Oregon you are required to stop, and stay stopped, until the pedestrians have cleared the next lane past the one you are traveling in. (Which for a two lane road would mean that they completed their crossing.)

Reactions: nativewolf
Depending on locality it is likely illegal behavior. I'm pretty sure that in Oregon you are required to stop, and stay stopped, until the pedestrians have cleared the next lane past the one you are traveling in. (Which for a two lane road would mean that they completed their crossing.)

Oh yes, it is definitely illegal behavior.

Reactions: nativewolf

It seems that Cruise is not actually stopping for pedestrians but rather passing them at a distance the Cruise thinks is "safe". Cruise really should stop and yield. That is the law.
Here we see another example of Cruise not stopping for pedestrians crossing the street and just maneuvering around them at close range. You can see the pedestrians look back at the Cruise like "WTF".

I’ve noticed they’re a little too impatient lately. Seeing similar behavior at stop signs where it will start rolling well before the intersection is clear of pedestrians, even if it hasn’t waited longer than a reasonable amount of time and there is plenty of space to go after the pedestrians crossed. Also they will pose fairly aggressively for unprotected lefts (e.g. both at an angle and with the wheels turned), even rolling towards the intersection with oncoming cars sometimes. Feels a bit too far on the wrong side of assertive IMO

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
Oh yes, it is definitely illegal behavior.
I'm going to play contrarian and say it's not illegal in California. California law only requires yielding to pedestrians. It does not require the car to wait until the pedestrian is fully crossed nor does it have other similar more narrow requirements (like clearing the next lane over), nor does it require the car to come to a complete stop in front of the pedestrian (other than the separate requirement due to stop sign, which the Cruise did stop for already).
Do California drivers have to wait for pedestrians to cross the entire street?

Relevant section of law as it relates to drivers:

VEHICLE CODE - VEH

DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336]

( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 5. Pedestrians’ Rights and Duties [21949 - 21971]

( Chapter 5 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian.
Law section

A similar idea applies to cars crossing a stop sign intersection. You are free to start moving as soon as the car with right of way does, and swerve around and pass behind them. You are not required to wait until their car has fully crossed the intersection before you move from your stop.

So while the car was very aggressive (and scary for pedestrians, given there is no way to have "eye contact" to establish the car is aware of the need to yield), what it did was not illegal.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
"A Cruise vehicle got stuck in wet concrete driving around San Francisco’s Western Addition Tuesday afternoon."

ratio3x2_720.webp

Is Cruise experiencing more difficulties since they were approved by CPUC? Or are people watching and scrutinizing their driving more after the approval?

Since the CPUC permit, Cruise is adding more riders and more miles will mean statistically more chance of experiencing an issue. But part of it could be coincidence too. For example, the festival with the cell signal outage just happened to occur the day after the CPUC vote. Also, I do think Cruise is facing much more scrutiny because the people who are against the CPUC permit are on the lookout for anything they can use against Cruise.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ