Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was shocked, too, but Coccina House in Wooster, Ohio beat anything I've ever tried...by a noticeable amount and I've been all over and typically always get a slice when I'm traveling.

I actually like Juliana's/Grimaldi’s over Di Faras, so judge that as you will.

I was lucky enough to have Di Faras while the old man was still there cutting basil onto the pies by hand... and, weirdly, their only location in the world other than the original one in Brooklyn is right here in NC.... That said I do marginally prefer Grimaldis, but have less access to it apart from travelling these days and it's fairly close.

Also now I'm hungry, thanks.

This guy is so ignorant it ac
Not often you see something like this, accident footage from a vehicle that was operating with FSD Beta at the time

Based on the forward camera this was completely avoidable if a human was driving. The swerve from the other guy was basically telegraphed. The same thing the SUV did is usually what you're supposed to do.

Someone swerves into your lane to avoid someone swerving into their lane.

You are then supposed to swerve to the outside of your lane to avoid it or in the case of being at the left most lane, you sometimes have the shoulder so even more space.

I can't count how many times i have had to use the shoulder to either avoid being hit or avoid hitting someone (in cases where the forward car is tailgating the car ahead / not paying attention when there's stopped traffic and swerve at the very last second).

Reactions: kabin
This guy is so ignorant it ac

Based on the forward camera this was completely avoidable if a human was driving. The swerve from the other guy was basically telegraphed. The same thing the SUV did is usually what you're supposed to do.

Someone swerves into your lane to avoid someone swerving into their lane.

You are then supposed to swerve to the outside of your lane to avoid it or in the case of being at the left most lane, you sometimes have the shoulder so even more space.

I can't count how many times i have had to use the shoulder to either avoid being hit or avoid hitting someone (in cases where the forward car is tailgating the car ahead / not paying attention when there's stopped traffic and swerve at the very last second).

To be fair, from the front camera, the pickup was almost fully blocked by the SUV, so it seemed like the SUV was going to wait for Tesla to pass first. Only having seen the side camera passing the cars is it obvious.

That said, I've come up to similar situations and when I see a wishy-washy car that looks like it wants to cut in, I tend to slow down enough that I can brake if necessary to avoid collision (even without going into shoulder or adjacent lanes).

It's not entirely clear the NOA logic (even "single stack") allows shoulder based lane intrusion avoidance. With the current accident as it happened, the Tesla has no fault, even though it was damaged. Avoidance maneuvers can lead to an accident that owner has to self pay (if for example lost control or hit wall) or to at fault (as Buick did), so it's a mixed bag.

From the article:

"Initially, Cruise said connectivity issues from a "large event" presumed to be the Outside Lands music festival caused at least 10 cars to become immobilized, but clarified that instead, a pedestrian interfered with one of the cars, and that the car stopped as it awaited further instructions from a remote advisor.

As the first car stopped, more pedestrians came into contact with the "lead car" which delayed "overall resolution time" further. Other Cruise cars picking up or dropping off riders queued up behind the lead car.

It took around 15 minutes for the autonomous vehicles to continue driving their routes as usual.

Cruise clarified that "limited bandwidth issues" created a lag in their remote advisors' ability to "provide expedient guidance" to several cars.

Many Cruise riders Friday night were festival goers, which created a "higher concentration of [Cruise vehicles] in a congested area." Because of higher-than-normal congestion levels, remote assistance was provided to help navigate.

"Congestion from massive crowds of this size can and did impact our AVs’ ability to maneuver in areas close to Golden Gate Park," Cruise's statement read. "Normally, our remote advisors might have been able to more quickly move our vehicles, but the above data lag combined with enormous pedestrian crowds resulted in several of our cars being moved by our field support teams."

----------

So is Cruise revising their statement to avoid blame?

I feel like the truth might be somewhere in the middle. There might have been some pedestrian interference that contributed to the stop of the lead car but then things got worse as other Cruise vehicles behind the lead car could not proceed and remote assistance was not able to connect quick enough due to the slow data connection.

I have a few thoughts:

1) Did the lead car stop because of malicious interference by pedestrians or simply because of big crowds from the festival?
2) Unfortunately, I am not sure AVs can do much about deliberate interference. And sadly, robotaxis do seem to be the target of malicious interference (for ex: coning).
3) I still think Cruise needs a better contingency plan for when the vehicles lose the data connection.
4) It does feel like Cruise cannot reliably handle large crowd events as large crowds will cause the lead car to stall, since there is a large crowd event there wll be other Cruise vehicles bringing other rides to the event, leading to higher chance of a mass stall event.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and nativewolf
So this is a new one. Cruise as always will do gymnastics to put a positive spin, but this time it was delayed. Perhaps they had to go back to review footage?

As mentioned, while the initial car stopping may be able to be explained by pedestrian interference (which may or may not be intentional, there was a festival and North Beach has a lot of partygoers who may be drunk), the rest stopping for 15 minutes is still because of the initial reason of mobile network congestion.

Reactions: diplomat33
Seems like you already got some answers.

But yeah- in the states that allow them (and there's a decent # now) you mostly just have to self-certify the car can drive itself and obey traffic laws and you have insurance.

That's it.

They don't even check if you're lying.

For example the form to fill out for Nevada:

Excluding basic identifying info like who your company is and what model(s) the form is for it's ONE page where you check off a few boxes that are essentially TRUST ME BRO IT SELF DRIVES.

Well, that is utterly pathetic. Gobsmackingly unbelievable.