Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Robot delivery startup Nuro announced plans to layoff a portion of its workforce and to pause its commercial operations as it pivots to more research and development. The news comes amid a broader set of financial challenges for the burgeoning autonomous vehicle sector."
May 2023

Layoffs in May and hiring heavily 6 months later.

Say goodbye to TuSimple.

It couldn't find a buyer to take it over so it shuts down in the US.

Is it really worthwhile to pursue robotrucks .... what is the labor cost as a percentage of overall cost ? Unlike urban robotaxis (majority of cost is labor) - the operational aspects are difficult too. Imagine trucks getting stuck in nowhere land ... like Cruise.

Reactions: diplomat33
Is it really worthwhile to pursue robotrucks .... what is the labor cost as a percentage of overall cost ? Unlike urban robotaxis (majority of cost is labor) - the operational aspects are difficult too. Imagine trucks getting stuck in nowhere land ... like Cruise.
I think it's an excellent application.

Machines love doing repetitive tasks: the less thinking, the better.

Truck routes from a company depot to a depot are not indefinite. The routes are pretty much unchanging. Thus, it's all set once it learns how to drive in one particular route! No new learning is needed.

GM Cruise got stuck because it had to learn strange places, new routines, routes, and behaviors:

The Cruise on the left pondered whether it should yield to the one on the right. The one on the right was thinking the same. Too much thinking, and the whole neighborhood got stuck with a bunch of Cruise cars!

Cruise-Austin-traffic-jam.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Machines love doing repetitive tasks: the less thinking, the better.

Truck routes from a company depot to a depot are not indefinite. The routes are pretty much unchanging. Thus, it's all set once it learns how to drive in one particular route! No new learning is needed.
Actually machines don't feel anything ;)

Seriously - even though truck routes are simpler (and repetitive) - it doesn't mean you can make a particular truck learn that one route or have different software for different routes. You need a single software that handles all the routes.

Besides, Its not just the route - its the ever changing traffic and weather. Think of all the variations FSD has to handle just in your one commute route.

Finally - its a business question. Is it economically worth it. Will they ever recoup the billions spent developing.

ps : Besides the whole idea of trucking is stupid - should be using trains.

Actually machines don't feel anything ;)

Seriously - even though truck routes are simpler (and repetitive) - it doesn't mean you can make a particular truck learn that one route or have different software for different routes. You need a single software that handles all the routes.

Besides, Its not just the route - its the ever changing traffic and weather. Think of all the variations FSD has to handle just in your one commute route.

Finally - its a business question. Is it economically worth it. Will they ever recoup the billions spent developing.

ps : Besides the whole idea of trucking is stupid - should be using trains.
I like trains but ..no. They don't work for modern freight needs. They are fixed and not dynamic which is the USA differentiator. For long long distance runs from one coast to another, super, for commodities that can sit for weeks, super. Just try to do anything freight wise with trains, it is horrid. You have to book weeks/months in advance. You have to send a truck to a client, then the truck to some rail yard, deal with brokers, do it all backwards at the other end. Horrid. You can't build a logistics hub beside a rail line because rail lines aren't where the logistics hubs need to be. Clients are almost never by rail so there are 2 trucks and rail at a min. Usually 2 rail companies (so therefore requiring a broker) and 2 trucks (or more).

With a truck I can call a broker, picked up at a client site, in hours or a few days it is delivered to the client. Done..that's it. One bill. For a larger company it is even easier, arrange trucking directly. Or larger yet own the truck and ship where and when you need it. 80% is by truck and when new cities emerge and freight destinations change trucking can adapt. To send anything from a medium sized city to another medium sized city on either coast (basically across time zones) is going to mean that the train car is going to go to a major hub like Chicago or Kansas City and get routed from 1 company to another and get delayed, lost, broken into, etc. By the time it's all said and done the 2 day truck ride is a 2 week train ride with a complex set of interactions (and potential failure) to manage and monitor.

You can hire companies like JB Hunt to ship a container and they'll figure out if they can send it part way via train as they have freight forwarding agreements with rail yards. Maybe instead of rerouting something from LA to Pittsburgh via Chicago by changing trains they just pull the container in Des Moines and ship by truck to Pittsburgh (for example). They'll figure that out and price it and keep most of the extra profit but pass a few dollars back. It's not a huge savings.

This is why freight has been shifting from train to truck for decades. Trains are also at capacity in many areas so we have chokepoints. The economics aren't there to expand and NIMBYs don't want a new massive train depot in the backyard. Trains are great for bulk commodities (coal, grain, etc) and regular scheduled trips from a port to a distribution center but no so good for anything else.

Unedited video of Wayve autonomous driving in London using their embodied AI end-to-end approach:

At 5:27, I think the car should have slowed more and yielded to the 2 older women crossing the street. I feel like it zipped by way too close to them. If they had not stopped, that could have been a serious collision.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Unedited video of Wayve autonomous driving in London using their embodied AI end-to-end approach:
Sorry - can't let that slip through.

It is only unedited if you ignore that they chose exactly which route and exactly which video to show. All other routes and takes were edited / censored.

If its not 3rd party, with no strings attached - its propaganda / marketing /PR.

Sorry - can't let that slip through.

It is only unedited in the sense they chose exactly which route and exactly which video to show. All other routes and takes were edited / censored.

If its not 3rd party, with no strings attached - its propaganda / marketing /PR.

When I say unedited, I mean there are no edits or cuts during the video, ie the video is a continuous unedited drive from A to B. In contract to Tesla's "paint it black" video which took several pieces and edited them together to look like a continuous drive when it was not.

And I never said that the video was not marketing/PR. But the video is a sample of end-to-end autonomous driving with some interesting scenarios. Considering, how much this forum is discussing end-to-end approach, I thought a video showing some end-to-end autonomous driving would be worth posting.

. Considering, how much this forum is discussing end-to-end approach, I thought a video showing some end-to-end autonomous driving would be worth posting.
Sure - that’s why rated your post as informative.

Unedited and edited videos only differ in how many times the PR is willing to try before getting a take that they can publish ;)

Thanks, I'd never seen that. I knew about the multiple attempts, but thought the "spliced" claims were just TSLAQ FUD. I guess the lesson learned is to always doubt Tesla and never doubt TSLAQ (j/k @EVNow , put down your flamethrower :)
Demos are just that ... you want to show something (that might work in the future). Just see the controversy now surrounding Google AI demo.

In the old days - people used to do live demos on stage. The chances of something going wrong was high ... so started recording the demo and showing on stage. Enter fake demos.

If someone wants to prove their FSD works - give the car to an independent journalist for a week - don't tell him which routes to follow and let him show how it worked. Ofcourse, the best way to figure out is what Tesla is doing now - send it out to a million users to test.

ps : Do I think Tesla would fake demos - absolutely !