Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't sound right. US driverless is a bit over 10m miles -- Cruise hit 5m in September and Waymo should have been pretty close behind.

OK, maybe 44m includes all miles. But 34m miles with safety drivers is too low. Waymo announced 20m at the start of 2020, almost all with drivers. It took them a little over a year to go from 10m to 20m, at that pace they'd be 50m+ by now. I doubt Cruise has that many, but has to be at least 10m. Then you have all the others. Many only have a car or three each, but Zoox must have a small fleet. 100 test cars driving 1k miles/week each is 5m miles per year.

Doesn't sound right. US driverless is a bit over 10m miles -- Cruise hit 5m in September and Waymo should have been pretty close behind.

OK, maybe 44m includes all miles. But 34m miles with safety drivers is too low. Waymo announced 20m at the start of 2020, almost all with drivers. It took them a little over a year to go from 10m to 20m, at that pace they'd be 50m+ by now. I doubt Cruise has that many, but has to be at least 10m. Then you have all the others. Many only have a car or three each, but Zoox must have a small fleet. 100 test cars driving 1k miles/week each is 5m miles per year.

The 44M includes all autonomous miles, with and without a safety driver.

Reading their recent tweets, feels like they are trying to distract off of Cruise and push the "AVs are safe" line (not that I disagree, now that Cruise is off the road).

Autonomous Vehicle Industry Association is a pro-AV lobby. So yes, they push a pro-AV agenda.

Would like to see the number without safety drivers in place.

Same here.

I kind of like the Waymo design. It's still traditional car design compared to the Zoox and Origin.
cm1e-front-quarter-jpg-65429ff67b4ab.jpg
cm1e-doors-open-jpg-6542a6f1ca463.jpg

cm1e-interior-jpg-6542a3d5e7b75.jpg

I kind of like the Waymo design. It's still traditional car design compared to the Zoox and Origin.
cm1e-front-quarter-jpg-65429ff67b4ab.jpg
cm1e-doors-open-jpg-6542a6f1ca463.jpg

cm1e-interior-jpg-6542a3d5e7b75.jpg

Yeah, Cruise and Zoox tried to go more futuristic, perhaps too much. Waymo vehicle looks modern but still utilitarian. I like it, although I don't care for the blue personally. The blue looks too bright and fun. But maybe that is the point. The sensors also look a bit more minimalistic than the current I-Pace. I wonder if they are the same sensors in a slimmer package or whether Waymo has developed a "6th Gen" suite?

Depends on the limits of each node. Each node would need to be able to, with reasonable safety, bring the vehicle to a safe stop within its domain of operation.
Yep, the definition only requires each node to be able to independently bring the car to a minimal risk condition to meet redundancy requirements, it does not require both to be exact mirrors of each other.

Yeah, Cruise and Zoox tried to go more futuristic, perhaps too much. Waymo vehicle looks modern but still utilitarian. I like it, although I don't care for the blue personally. The blue looks too bright and fun. But maybe that is the point. The sensors also look a bit more minimalistic than the current I-Pace. I wonder if they are the same sensors in a slimmer package or whether Waymo has developed a "6th Gen" suite?
I am a fan of the Zook for a robotaxi. Completely functional, there is no forward or reverse, don't back out or back into anything. Designed to be cleaned. Legroom is good, etc. The bench row in the waymo and bucket seats are just throwbacks. Not functional. But obviously preferences probably dont mean much. First one I can ride, in DC area, I will. It really doesn't matter.

Definition of what?
Definition of redundant hardware for L3+ cars under SAE J3016. All the redundant hardware is tasked to do is enable the car to reach a safe state, it is not tasked with being an exact mirror such that the car can operate fully as if nothing happened if one node fails, as people keep suggesting is required.

You can see a similar idea discussed for Mercedes' L3 system: