Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Key

Are you pro full autonomous or con?

• I'm a pro

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Always the con (not artist)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anon2

Of Course I Trust You Will Do The Right Thing
So many buyers of Tesla models, particularly 3, are opting out of the fully integrated autopilot software option. Mind you it includes pre installation of full autonomous features operational at some future point. But not yet. These car buyers are saying they'll pass.

Maybe that's wise based on trends in technology that suggest applications are often upgraded multiple times in a five-year cycle. Over life of a car lease or loan that could mean at least three generations of the Model 3 and or it's software applications like autopilot. Flipped Tesla's technology is proving a few steps ahead in a right direction. Idea of early install means seamless transition to full autonomy later. And that I am thinking as safety regulations and vehicular laws catch up with reality of driverless vehicles. Of course I'm going to need assurances. Here's where my personal story weighs in.

What happens if systems fail? Requiring driver takes the wheel? For the blind there has to be some intuitive algorithms in the code. Commands, like those in planes, steer the car to nearest safest full stop location. It would necessarily have to anticipate a system or network outage. Being vision impaired an autonomous car ok'd by DMV restores the independence I treasured as a licensed driver. Those of you who have always been such imagine not being able to hop in your Tesla whenever you want. Having to depend on others or public transportation to get around. Constantly on someone else's clock and good graces. We do what we must but if now there's a way to make things right in our mobility world? Absolutely count me in.

By the time I'm reserving my Tesla I'll be opting for that software pre-stall. It's key to my mobile independence.

That is the hope of course. I’m excited about t, but imagine that future can get here soon enough for folk with vision problems. Several of my friends are likewise looking forward to FSD to help their elderly parents who are still able to get around but themselves but their who’s driving skills have deteriored as they have gotten older. There is certainly great promise for many out there to help with their independence. Hopefully we are only a few years away.

Reactions: Anon2
I'm not too concerned about the viability of FSD. The whole point is that it is supposed to be way smarter and way safer than an average driver. Otherwise, what is the point of full autonomy if it's more dangerous than a normal driver?

If something were to fail or is about to fail, the nice thing about Tesla is that they can detect it from headquarters (or wherever they detect Model S/X problems) and then come in and take action somehow would be my guess. Perhaps they would literally be able to "remote drive" the car from HQ in certain situations.

Reactions: Anon2
Remote friendly commandeering interesting very doable possibility to enhance that safety bit in what if scenarios. Also in thinking AI and downsides it's a jobs creator. You'll need human monitors to operate live take over vehicle emergency situations.

Reactions: Bebop