Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want my money back! 2023 MY threatening to permanently disable autosteer? WTF? Are you kidding? I don't live in Red China last I checked. What is this "recall" that has messed my car up? I want my money back and I'll go buy a car that doesn't torture me. The autosteer is so poor anyway when there's an on ramp it yanks you to what it thinks is the middle of the road but isn't. And then it is now refusing to help me when things are controllable, but I was "bad" a few times. Are you kidding me right now?! And I WASNT bad! WTF?! Give me my money back you a$$holes. The blind spot warning does not even work EITHER! just a red car, no audible notice. You A$$holes! I want my money back! I'll NEVER BUY ANOTHER TESLA. YOU JERKS!
Your car will not permanently disable autosteer.

Trade your car in for something you will enjoy. It might cost you a little money, but it seems that you will be more satisfied and live a less stressful life.

Or keep your Tesla and buy the EVOOOR TSL6 anti-nag device that plugs into the center console under the rear vents. Costs $150 and takes 5 minutes to install, then simply cover your in cabin camera and enjoy unlimited hands free autopilot. So far there's two of us on this forum that own this anti-nag device and it fixes the autopilot "problem".

The only thing better than Tesla ADAS for non freeway driving is Comma AI Openpilot, but most of the cars it supports are ICE vehicles with laggy acceleration and annoying engine noise :rolleyes:

Or keep your Tesla and buy the EVOOOR TSL6 anti-nag device that plugs into the center console under the rear vents. Costs $150 and takes 5 minutes to install, then simply cover your in cabin camera and enjoy unlimited hands free autopilot. So far there's two of us on this forum that own this anti-nag device and it fixes the autopilot "problem".

The only thing better than Tesla ADAS for non freeway driving is Comma AI Openpilot, but most of the cars it supports are ICE vehicles with laggy acceleration and annoying engine noise :rolleyes:
I might try this and thank you for the suggestion! However, the Tesla should work with me in its native form, not punish me for being "bad" by disabling the feature that makes it safer and why I bought the car ion the first place. Boo on these people for crippling my car. I am probably going to follow the advice of Supcom and unload this thing on someone willing to deal with it and buy some BEV that is my partner, not my nanny. I want to go with BEV but if there's nothing better than this nanny Tesla I have, then I might go back to ICE for a while.

I might try this and thank you for the suggestion! However, the Tesla should work with me in its native form, not punish me for being "bad" by disabling the feature that makes it safer and why I bought the car ion the first place. Boo on these people for crippling my car. I am probably going to follow the advice of Supcom and unload this thing on someone willing to deal with it and buy some BEV that is my partner, not my nanny. I want to go with BEV but if there's nothing better than this nanny Tesla I have, then I might go back to ICE for a while.
I just wanted to clarify that I don't use the autosteer anywhere except the interstate and it doesn't even cut the mustard there. If I'm in the right lane and there's an entry ramp merge lane the darned car veers into the "center" of the lane. If I'm looking down the road 100 meters or so and I see brake lights my car should too. No. it flies on down the road till the guy in front of me slams on his brakes, then... guess what? And in stop and go traffic, why does the car not create a buffer space, but rather drives like the guy in front of me constantly zooming forward and slamming on brakes? I have it in chill mode. This thing just is not ready for prime time IMO. Thanks again for your kind reply.

Reactions: OxBrew
The blind spot warning does not even work EITHER! just a red car, no audible notice
The screen is pretty useless unless you really get in the habit of using it (tricky because it is often not useful when raining, when arguably needed most).

However, it will beep at you as you change lanes into other vehicles. But you actually have to be making the move, not just signaling. Good, because it would be annoying if it beeped whenever you signaled with someone in your blind spot. Change lanes slowly!

If I'm in the right lane and there's an entry ramp merge lane the darned car veers into the "center" of the lane.
Yep. Everyone gets this. I think most people either live with it, knowing that it's just an annoyance, or they move over a lane.

If I'm looking down the road 100 meters or so and I see brake lights my car should too.
Yep. If traffic is stopping from a high speed, do some manual braking. Just disengage the system. Again, it's an annoyance.

And in stop and go traffic, why does the car not create a buffer space, but rather drives like the guy in front of me constantly zooming forward and slamming on brakes? I have it in chill mode.
Try Assertive. You may like that behavior better.

The thing about Autopilot is that it's a driver assist feature. Ignore its name because it's really just a lane keeping and speed keeping feature. There's nothing sophisticated about it, and it doesn't drive your car for you. It's best used on long open stretches of road (e.g. road trips). If you're using it in challenging conditions, you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting it to drive as well as you do, you're going to be disappointed.

Just as an academic point, you may want to look into Full Self Driving V12 videos on YouTube. That technology isn't going to help you today because it likely isn't going to trickle down to Autopilot for years (it's not even being made available to FSD owners yet), but it's something to draw hope from if you're someday expecting your car to drive competently. For now, V12 focuses on secondary roads, and it's impressive. In time, I expect them to tackle highways. Once they get that sorted, they should be able to create a really nice Autopilot. Perhaps for your next car.

Reactions: navguy12
I think the biggest issue here is ultimately that strikes never disappear after some period of good driving. I don’t know what the percentage is, but I think many of us will end up with five strikes, not because we’re terrible drivers, but because “things” happen over time.

I got my first strike a month ago. I own it. I think I was trying to find a podcast and my kids were in the car, and I just wasn’t thinking to tug on the wheel. I was definitely paying attention, but not well enough. Eventually this will happen four more times and I will strike out. It might take a year or two, but eventually I will get five. My plan is, once I get three, to intentionally strike out twice right before I go on a week-long vacation.

None of this is ideal. But I can live with that.

Honestly, what those of us who are concerned about this should really be worrying about, is the day that they remove the feature altogether. That would really suck. Autopilot has done wonders for my professional life, which includes a lot of driving. I’m totally addicted to my Tesla!

Reactions: ph0ton
I just wanted to clarify that I don't use the autosteer anywhere except the interstate and it doesn't even cut the mustard there. If I'm in the right lane and there's an entry ramp merge lane the darned car veers into the "center" of the lane. If I'm looking down the road 100 meters or so and I see brake lights my car should too. No. it flies on down the road till the guy in front of me slams on his brakes, then... guess what? And in stop and go traffic, why does the car not create a buffer space, but rather drives like the guy in front of me constantly zooming forward and slamming on brakes? I have it in chill mode. This thing just is not ready for prime time IMO. Thanks again for your kind reply.
AP1 handled much of this better. The MobilEye single-front-camera hardware with radar was better at keeping a consistent gap to the car ahead. (Never available on 3/Y, only earlier S and maybe X.) It was a more limited system than we have currently, but it performed well. Crest a steep hill where the camera could only see sky and it would lose its composure, however.

Newer Tesla hardware (AP2/2.5/3) with radar may have also done a better job than the current radarless vision-only system, but I only have my old 2015 P85D for comparison, never drove an earlier 3 with radar.

Reactions: ph0ton
This thing just is not ready for prime time IMO.
I couldn’t disagree more. I’ve got 87,000 miles on my car and 90-95% of them were while on AP. The only thing I didn’t like about it was having to disengage/change lanes/re-engage (with chimes that disrupted my music). But I picked up EAP when it was on sale a couple of years ago and that problem was solved.

It’s a driver assist tool, not a chauffeur. I acknowledge that I still need to pay attention while driving and I still need to intervene once in a while (such as the coming up on slow/stopped vehicles in traffic when driving faster as you mentioned). But what it DOES do is relieve me from having to make a ton of micro-decisions in my normal driving and I have noticed a huge drop in my daily commute stress.

You can choose to focus on the 0.1% of it not working. I love the 99.9% that AP does its job.

I want my money back! 2023 MY threatening to permanently disable autosteer? WTF? Are you kidding? I don't live in Red China last I checked. What is this "recall" that has messed my car up? I want my money back and I'll go buy a car that doesn't torture me. The autosteer is so poor anyway when there's an on ramp it yanks you to what it thinks is the middle of the road but isn't. And then it is now refusing to help me when things are controllable, but I was "bad" a few times. Are you kidding me right now?! And I WASNT bad! WTF?! Give me my money back you a$$holes. The blind spot warning does not even work EITHER! just a red car, no audible notice. You A$$holes! I want my money back! I'll NEVER BUY ANOTHER TESLA. YOU JERKS!
Not sure, but you seem upset. How do you feel about that?

Until they work out the bugs/force me to have more nagging/strikes.
  1. It's never going to be "bug free" (no software is). I'm not sure what bugs you're worried about at this point
  2. I do a lot of things while on AP that I shouldn't, but have yet to get a "strike." I really don't understand what people are doing to get these. Yes, I get the "Pay attention to your driving" warnings, but never lost the "right" to be on AP. I have forgotten to disengage AP before going over 85 (usually to pass someone) and couldn't engage Auto Steer for the rest of the drive, but that has been there since long before the "recall" (and have only had it happen twice I think).