Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomy Investor Day - April 22 at 2pm ET

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now this is more interesting, the triggers evolving. Too bad Elon had to interject with some mumbo jumbo about ”every mile” training networks, which is clearly not happening (nor probably will ever happen) — and the network training still happens in the back end anyway — but the cut-in trigger certainly is interesting.

This is FASCINATING stuff. And he actually just used the term "Shadow Mode". Is this the first time they've publicly confirmed shadow mode?

We have known about the triggers that are running there for a very long time, there was a list of them even. But this is a good update on what they are doing today with them.

Shadow mode itself is a bit of a marketing term though. It is trigger-based, not constant.

I am not convinced by their reasoning against Lidar. Even Andrej uncharacteristically disappointed there.

Sure if you have poor vision then Lidar can be a crutch but others have much greater vision than Tesla has and have Lidar in addition to that... so the argument does not stand... it felt like something Andrej was made to add there. Quite uncharacteristic considering they showed how other redundant sensors in Tesla were a benefit... suddenly Lidar only is a hinderance... ;)

I did like the update on the triggers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dutchie
Sure if you have poor vision then Lidar can be a crutch but others have much greater vision than Tesla has and have Lidar in addition to that... so the argument does not stand... it felt like something Andrej was made to add there. Quite uncharacteristic considering they showed how other redundant sensors in Tesla were a benefit... suddenly Lidar only is a hinderance... ;)

Yeah, I can see LIDAR as still being useful as a back up, especially in inclement weather where vision might be slightly impaired.

Yeah, I can see LIDAR as still being useful as a back up, especially in inclement weather where vision might be slightly impaired.

Yes, most importantly it is a redundant sensor with different benefits from vision. Everything they say about training redundant sensors applies to it so it is a bit hard to take the attack on Lidar seriously. Seems something they tacked on to convince investors it really is not needed.

I would have actually felt better without piling on Lidar and instead just convincing us on their vision. It would have felt more believable in my view. ”Lidar and many kinds of sensors can certainly be useful but we feel we have a optimal solution for our great vision engine” and this allows us to get there first etc etc...

Now they are trying to convince us a bit too much on that point. To the point where it is not that believable.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
I would have actually felt better without piling on Lidar and instead just convincing us on their vision. It would have felt more believable in my view. ”Lidar and many kinds of sensors can certainly be useful but we feel we have a optimal solution for our great vision engine” and this allows us to get there first etc etc...

Yeah, except that if people believe that LIDAR is an absolute requirement for self-driving, then no matter how good your vision is, it won't matter to them. So it is not good enough to prove that you have excellent camera vision, you have to make the case that LIDAR is not needed.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Yeah, except that if people believe that LIDAR is an absolute requirement for self-driving, then no matter how good your vision is, it won't matter to them. So it is not good enough to prove that you have excellent camera vision, you have to make the case that LIDAR is not needed.

Then that case so far has definitely not been made. I’m not sure badmouthing your competition is ever the best tactic but I guess they feel they can change the industry narrative so they try — instead of just convincing us their solution works great without Lidar and ignoring Lidar...