Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomy Investor Day - April 22 at 2pm ET

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually think that this investor day was arranged by TESLA because they had to show something positive prior to the terrible Q1 numbers that will be released two days later. Just a thought that I haven’t heard anybody mention.

I've been thinking about this, If that was the case, wouldn't you want to to do the Autonomy Investor Day after the Q1 release?

I've been thinking about this, If that was the case, wouldn't you want to to do the Autonomy Investor Day after the Q1 release?

Absolutely not. Make people feel good before dropping a bomb on them. It's an attempt to lighten the downward pressure on the stock after they announce crappy numbers. Sorry, the timing is too much of a coincidence for me.

If people like me didn't invest in Tesla based on "shiny sugar Musk sold you", none of us would be driving Tesla cars today.

If you don't get the difference between hardware and software, then maybe you shouldn't invest. Tesla is better with hardware actually doing what is intended (691HP P85DL and battery specs aside) and lies about software (almost constantly).

Rather than substantively discuss something to which there presently is no substance, I suggest you probably read up on software and Tesla and the relative dearth of actual ability to deliver true autonomy either with the present hardware or any touted future hardware.

I'm not here to educate people that clearly believe no matter what.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
If you don't get the difference between hardware and software, then maybe you shouldn't invest. Tesla is better with hardware actually doing what is intended (691HP P85DL and battery specs aside) and lies about software (almost constantly).

Rather than substantively discuss something to which there presently is no substance, I suggest you probably read up on software and Tesla and the relative dearth of actual ability to deliver true autonomy either with the present hardware or any touted future hardware.

I'm not here to educate people that clearly believe no matter what.

I completely agree. By and large, the cars live up to the hype and then some, esp with the Model 3 which was designed almost too well that it is cannibalizing S and X sales.

But in terms of Autopilot, it is the exact opposite. I have had AP for 2 years now, and to be honest, the improvement in performance has been marginal. It has tracked the lane and parallel parked very well, but beyond that, I have not seen much improvement at all. I have been using NOA with lane change, and it doesn't work very well IMO. It will change in and out of lanes for no reason sometimes, and it stays in the passing lane far too long, even when a car comes up behind me and starts tailgating. One thing that has improved is that it won't change lanes until it sees the adjacent lane is clear.

It can't even drive very well in a straight line on a city street. It doesn't follow closely enough after the car in front starts moving, and it is jittery around curves. And don't even get me started on those autowipers which still don't work properly after 2 years - and FSD is supposed to be feature complete by the end of this year?

Honestly, I'm guessing that Elon is overhyping Autopilot to promote the cutting edge image of the brand, and to earn extra margin on low margin hardware by making loyal followers "believe". Why else would they sell something that doesn't even exist, and now scare people into buying by raising the price on May 1? And maybe they moved NOA, Summon, and Autopark into FSD because they knew that it will be a long time before real features could be delivered, and this will be a way to offer something in the interim to entice people into buying it.

I hope they can deliver something on Monday, but as another poster has said, the 2016 FSD video was already impressive and nothing has happened since.

I have had AP for 2 years now, and to be honest, the improvement in performance has been marginal.

It can't even drive very well in a straight line on a city street. It doesn't follow closely enough after the car in front starts moving, and it is jittery around curves. And don't even get me started on those autowipers which still don't work properly after 2 years

I've had AP2 since it came out and my experience has been the exact opposite. I have seen tremendous gains in what it can do and what it can handle. I have no problem following city streets and recently don't even worry about going through intersections anymore, it handles them so much better than before when it didn't seem to know which lane it needed to be in on the other side of the intersection and would sometimes dart left or right mid-intersection. Your comment on auto wipers made me realize since my last update, 2019.8.5, I have not had to touch my wiper button once. We've had some rain recently and it wipes exactly as I would want it to now.

I'm certainly not trying to dispute your experiences with it, I just find it interesting that for some people there is no improvement over years of updates and for others there's a tremendous improvement. It makes me wonder if it's something within individual cars that makes some perform better than others or if it has to do more with the location where you live. Or is it influenced by something else entirely like our expectations? That makes me wonder if we swapped for a day - I drove your car in your area and you drove my car in mine, if we would still feel the same way afterwards.

Reactions: donauker
But in terms of Autopilot, it is the exact opposite. I have had AP for 2 years now, and to be honest, the improvement in performance has been marginal. It has tracked the lane and parallel parked very well, but beyond that, I have not seen much improvement at all. I have been using NOA with lane change, and it doesn't work very well IMO. It will change in and out of lanes for no reason sometimes, and it stays in the passing lane far too long, even when a car comes up behind me and starts tailgating. One thing that has improved is that it won't change lanes until it sees the adjacent lane is clear.

It can't even drive very well in a straight line on a city street. It doesn't follow closely enough after the car in front starts moving, and it is jittery around curves. And don't even get me started on those autowipers which still don't work properly after 2 years - and FSD is supposed to be feature complete by the end of this year?

I have a AP2.5 car and my experience is the exact opposite. AP has made big improvements for me.

I've had AP2 since it came out and my experience has been the exact opposite. I have seen tremendous gains in what it can do and what it can handle. I have no problem following city streets and recently don't even worry about going through intersections anymore, it handles them so much better than before when it didn't seem to know which lane it needed to be in on the other side of the intersection and would sometimes dart left or right mid-intersection. Your comment on auto wipers made me realize since my last update, 2019.8.5, I have not had to touch my wiper button once. We've had some rain recently and it wipes exactly as I would want it to now.

I'm certainly not trying to dispute your experiences with it, I just find it interesting that for some people there is no improvement over years of updates and for others there's a tremendous improvement. It makes me wonder if it's something within individual cars that makes some perform better than others or if it has to do more with the location where you live. Or is it influenced by something else entirely like our expectations? That makes me wonder if we swapped for a day - I drove your car in your area and you drove my car in mine, if we would still feel the same way afterwards.

Following lanes has improved marginally, but I definitely need to take over frequently when driving in a straight line in the city. Following a line on the highway is far better, but it has always done that well. One improvement I noticed is that it handles lane splitting much better. But it’s nowhere even close to being safe enough to not pay attention. I frequently need to engage and disengage with tricky situations.

Funny thing is that autowipers works much better in my X than 3. In my 3, it basically doesn’t work at all. Go figure.

I’m just saying that Elon is promoting this dream to people when it is nowhere close to becoming a reality. But let’s see what happens on Monday.

Reactions: am_dmd
"When I use the feature improperly, it doesn't work very well"?

https://electrek.co/2017/02/15/tesla-autopilot-autosteer-local-roads-enhanced-autopilot/

Try again.

If they didn't want it used on local roads, they wouldn't say it can be used on local roads. Further, AP2 as geofenced initially (trust me, I've been using AP2 since the beginning). They took that off with the release mentioned in the above article.

Stop lying that AP isn't for anything AP works on. I'm sick of people drunk off Kool Aid attacking people while spouting useless non-sense off like its reality.

Tesla enables Autosteer on ‘local roads’ for new Enhanced Autopilot vehicles

Try again.

If they didn't want it used on local roads, they wouldn't say it can be used on local roads. Further, AP2 as geofenced initially (trust me, I've been using AP2 since the beginning). They took that off with the release mentioned in the above article.

Stop lying that AP isn't for anything AP works on. I'm sick of people drunk off Kool Aid attacking people while spouting useless non-sense off like its reality.

Agreed. I believe in Elon’s mission as well, but I just find the whole marketing of Autopilot controversial. It is worded and promoted in a rather misleading fashion, giving people hope that “falling asleep at the wheel” is just around the corner.

But then again, I may be eating my words after Monday’s presentation. Maybe Elon will be snoozing all the way from SAN Francisco to New York!

Reactions: croman
Take it back a notch chief. I didn't notice the repositioning. That doesn't imply lying, nor does it imply what I do or don't drink.

Man, hostility at TMC keeps getting worse every time I come back to visit. Part of why I do so less often these days. It's degraded significantly.

I completely agree. By and large, the cars live up to the hype and then some, esp with the Model 3 which was designed almost too well that it is cannibalizing S and X sales.

Honestly, I'm guessing that Elon is overhyping Autopilot to promote the cutting edge image of the brand, and to earn extra margin on low margin hardware by making loyal followers "believe". Why else would they sell something that doesn't even exist, and now scare people into buying by raising the price on May 1? And maybe they moved NOA, Summon, and Autopark into FSD because they knew that it will be a long time before real features could be delivered, and this will be a way to offer something in the interim to entice people into buying it.

I hope they can deliver something on Monday, but as another poster has said, the 2016 FSD video was already impressive and nothing has happened since.

I have HW 2.0 for two years too. All the updates were marginal improvements but if you compare the feature set to two years ago, it has been remarkable a remarkable journey. The auto-wipers were basically useless in the beginning, then they were OK during daylight and useless at night. Since the last update they work 98% perfect!
Autopilot itself.. I remember it bouncing between the lines. Now it works great!
NOA is working good for an introductory application. I think the timing is sometimes off for changing lanes and taking exits. The next updat will be incrementally better, just like the auto wipers. Etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Richt and MTOman
Take it back a notch chief. I didn't notice the repositioning. That doesn't imply lying, nor does it imply what I do or don't drink.

Man, hostility at TMC keeps getting worse every time I come back to visit. Part of why I do so less often these days. It's degraded significantly.

Still much better than Reddit. You get downvoted to oblivion for sneezing while surfing /r/teslamotors.

Maybe you should follow your own advise and take it back a notch. You are the one that started swinging at someone for reporting their use on local roads. You could have ensured your information was accurate before going after them.

Further, the article I cited is 2 years old. This is not new news but users keep attacking anyone who uses AP on local roads like its negligent or that Tesla somehow disapproves of it.

Its a tired old untrue attack line and one that has been repeatedly used.

Finally, use on local roads is why Tesla has any data at all to use for FSD in cities (which is what they will be showing off supposedly during this investor event). So I'm not entirely sure why people attack owners for using the system as intended on local roads (its not FSD, so owners are always responsible anyways).

Reactions: gregoryg
It means he has a bridge to sell you.

Or if you believe that, also some ocean front property in Kansas for dirt cheap.

If you still don't get it, well then you never will and you probably pay way too much for everything.

Isn't he and others bitter because they bought in anticipation of self-driving arriving soon?

I apply the fool me once aphorism to any early adopter for any product.

I cut someone slack if they're in their early twenties although most of us learned the lesson in our teens.