Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was backing into my driveway this afternoon and Autopark flashed up on the screen. Unfortunately it took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting it so I didn't use it. It had a blue rectangle around the car with a blue 4 next to it. I'm not sure what that all means or the significance yet. I'm wondering if the car has learnt where I live and will now Autopark perpendicularly off of the road for me. That would be helpful. I might be late to this party though :) but not seen much about it on here.
Any body else used it yet, especially when parking at home?

Autopark is currently only based on the ultrasonic sensors, it doesn’t learn anything and is overall pretty simple: if you are below the speed limit listed in the manual and the car detects a gap of a set width, it will offer to “park” you there. This approach generates quite a few false positives.

Reactions: PrGrPa
Autopark is currently only based on the ultrasonic sensors, it doesn’t learn anything and is overall pretty simple: if you are below the speed limit listed in the manual and the car detects a gap of a set width, it will offer to “park” you there. This approach generates quite a few false positives.
That was my first false promise today ;) - after 3 months use. Looking forward to using it the next time.

Mine offered to park me on some steps leading up to the house, so don't be too eager to take up its offer! Its also offered to park at right angle between two parked cars that were nose on to each other.

Until it learns to park within lines and not rely on adjacent cars, I will much rather park myself. Im hoping that is what the upgraded parking feature will add when they eventually get around to releasing it - thought it may have come with advanced summon.

• Funny
Reactions: drewpost and pmg102
I've used it a little bit, but only for on-street parking. Got to drive past the spot at about 2mph, not too close to the side of the other cars, and if the spot is too tight it won't show up. Had it try to park me in a spot clearly marked "no parking", and put me slap bang in the middle of a double length space, so don't expect miracles. Also had it bump the kerb the other week on a routine park which was slightly odd - not completely sure why, but I'm guessing it was because it was dark and at the furthest point from the 2 nearest street lights. It also seems to park further from the kerb than most manually parked cars, which might be a problem on some particularly narrow streets.

But it is pretty cool when it works though. According to my nephew "this cannot be happening", and according to my wife "there's no way I'm ever going to use that" (she uses it now and I think might secretly quite like it).

Having owned an e-Golf for three years I have to say that VW's ParkAssist is the king of automatic parking -- with parallel and perpendicular -- and it does it only using proximity sensors.. I must say I miss it.

I must admit I only recently learned that autopark didn't use cameras, so good to know it can be done successfully without, although I guess other cars manage without. I wasn't sure how much the current sensors can see down low, like bay lines, and still not convinced that the ultrasonics are sufficient when parking in bays with adjacent pillars.

I must admit I only recently learned that autopark didn't use cameras, so good to know it can be done successfully without, although I guess other cars manage without. I wasn't sure how much the current sensors can see down low, like bay lines, and still not convinced that the ultrasonics are sufficient when parking in bays with adjacent pillars.

I think there are a couple of USA threads in the Model S forum on car damage when using auto park to get into spots near columns. if I remember correctly, the manual says 'don't do it'. It's only meant for parking between cars for now.

I find auto park indispensable. My experience in my Model S persuaded me to get it in our Model 3. It does spot some non-existent parking opportunities though. And there was one time a year or so ago when it said there was a space but there was a light silver Nissan already there.

It does seem to zip into perpendicular spaces a bit faster than I would. It is a lot better at parallel parking than I am and tends to leave a nice gap between rims and kerb.

Great to hear that VW have it nailed, shame they have a ways to go on increasing their EV offerings.

I think there are a couple of USA threads in the Model S forum on car damage when using auto park to get into spots near columns. if I remember correctly, the manual says 'don't do it'. It's only meant for parking between cars for now.

I find auto park indispensable. My experience in my Model S persuaded me to get it in our Model 3. It does spot some non-existent parking opportunities though. And there was one time a year or so ago when it said there was a space but there was a light silver Nissan already there.

It does seem to zip into perpendicular spaces a bit faster than I would. It is a lot better at parallel parking than I am and tends to leave a nice gap between rims and kerb.

Great to hear that VW have it nailed, shame they have a ways to go on increasing their EV offerings.
The only thing VW auto park nailed was my front garden rockery when my old Passat CC tried to park on top of it. I think I paid around £200 as an option and used it once. Dire. I kinda miss the build quality though

• Funny
If I back up to my garage, will it see it as a space, or to I need to be driving perpendicular to the opening?

I've found that autopark doesn't alway display the P symbol. That is, I drove past a parking space, and even though I didn't see a P, I put it in reverse, and it allowed me to autopark.

• Informative
Saw my first Autopark prompt when backing into my drive. Thought I’d give it a go but it insisted on driving forwards, presumably to get a better run at it. But when I let it go it almost crashed into a tree opposite! I find it frustrating that I am unable to control the speed with the accelerator, while touching the brake causes it to pause, then continue at the same speed when pressing resume.

Shame it therefore seems almost useless..

Saw my first Autopark prompt when backing into my drive. Thought I’d give it a go but it insisted on driving forwards, presumably to get a better run at it. But when I let it go it almost crashed into a tree opposite! I find it frustrating that I am unable to control the speed with the accelerator, while touching the brake causes it to pause, then continue at the same speed when pressing resume.

Shame it therefore seems almost useless..

I have had similar actions. A favourite is for self park to wedge the car between adgacent rows of parked cars early on in the manoeuvre only to thrown up its 'hands' or 'wheel' and tell me it can't do any more. Ends of rows and corners are good for this too.

So embarrassing! I only do it in private now when no one is around.

My Renault Kadjar seems to make a far better stab at both identifying spots and steering into them. I have to control gears and accelerator but positioning is usually spot on.

Reactions: Cogarch and Roy W.
Autopark on my old 4 series (2015 model) was amazing although it only did the steering - told me when to move forward and backwards on the display. Haven't been brave enough to try the Tesla yet, too much traffic to fumble around with options, need to find somewhere quiet :)