Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0 hardware rumored this year on EyeQ3, article link enclosed - 8 cameras!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I actually enjoy driving for driving so not having this no biggie. I didn't order AP on mine and will probably never upgrade it either. Not having summon and crap in 3+ years when it's actually out may drop my resale value but what on earth would I sell my car for outside of another Tesla but I already own one :)

Q: When will you build in new AP hardware into the MS
A: Not immediately. We are working on a new hardware suite but it will be some time before that enters production.

And we know "Elon Time" is usually longer than expected. Now he says "it will be some time before that enters production." Can we put this imminent 8-camera multiple-EyeQ3 rumor to bed for a few months at least? :smile:

It has been a couple months... Now that there are a number of new Model Xes on the road and the model 3 will be shown soon, I wonder if an Autopilot 2.0 is getting nearer

Here's my data-free speculation: the March 31 Model 3 unveiling will also contain some updates for Model S, but not AP 2.0 hardware - maybe ventilated seats, new nosecone and the 100 kwhr battery. However, at some point before the end of 2016 Tesla will introduce AP 2.0 hardware - in October it will have been 2 years since the introduction of AP 1.0 hardware, and MBZ is coming to market in June with the new E-class bristling with more cameras and radar.

I have no idea if this will be the case, but there has been a lot of shuffling around of the AP team and I wonder if they are still at work trying to sort out / decide what, exactly, the hardware package will be for AP 2.0.

Furthermore the current autopilot 1.0 behavior has gotten so good (at least I am consistently mind blown in my 70D) through its software iterations that I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla feels they have a bit of breathing room to take their time designing the next hardware version.

This just showed up on Reddit, could be relevant ;)
dfJXcn6.jpg

uulAUJc.jpg

Qrbfmxx.jpg

8yyaIls.jpg

oh boy. can't wait to hear all the whining from all the pissed off owners that just picked there car that's suddenly outdated again.

Don't know that I'd call it whining. In my case it'll just be resignation. Kind of like every time I buy a new iPhone, iPad or iMac I know that an even better one will be out in a few months.

But on the up side for some, once the cars with the new system are out, those wanting to buy used Teslas will have a lot to choose from as owners trade in the old for the new.