Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I highly doubt there's any credibility to that Reddit post, Tesla and MobileEye are parting ways so I gotta believe that we are still a ways out from AP 2.0. Just my opinion...

I believe the separation of ME and Tesla was at Tesla's behest. I don't believe it has implications for timing of AP2. Also Mobileye will still sell Tesla the IQ3 chip. The rest of the recognition I am pretty sure is Tesla sw.

Reactions: benemac
In some ways, it makes sense if Tesla makes the hw announcement sooner than later if indeed it intends to allow Model X and refresh Model S to be upgraded. Otherwise, the more cars that are out there, the upgrades will flood the service centers; unless, they stagger the upgrades.

I strongly believe that something will be coming out soon in the news by Elon because he needs to test the Model 3 out in the open and before this happens he wants the world to know what he has cooking up with the newest technology in the Tesla world. This only makes sense. Elon would not want the newest technology to be seen on the streets before you reveals it to the world. Elon did mention that at the end of the year part 2 of the Model 3 will be revealed I believed.

Does anyone else want to share there opinion on this?

Hope that Elon will replace AP2 with AD1 (Autonomous Driving) meaning that the new system will guarantee autonomous driving at least when the current AP1 is able to work. Think that new hardware has to be added, Maybe it will be a little more expansive but who cares if safety is better guaranteed?

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Elon did mention that at the end of the year part 2 of the Model 3 will be revealed I believed.
That appears to be a common expectation, but all Elon actually said was there would be an Autopilot announcement near the end of the year.

I think there will be an announcement about the new capabilities of Autopilot (whatever those may be), and that Models S and X will see them right away (or after the first of the year). He may not even mention Model 3.

I think Reveal 2 for Model 3 will be in March or April next year.

I strongly believe that something will be coming out soon in the news by Elon because he needs to test the Model 3 out in the open ... Elon would not want the newest technology to be seen on the streets before you reveals it to the world. Elon did mention that at the end of the year part 2 of the Model 3 will be revealed I believed.

They don't have to test new AP technology in a M3, they can put the hardware in either a MS or MX just as easily for testing purposes. We'll probably see M3 prototypes on the streets well before the 2nd reveal.

I don't think he said specifically when the 2nd reveal would be, only that it would be closer to actual production. I'm with FloridaJohn above, the next reveal will be in April of next year, about a month before the first people are asked to configure. Which should be about 2 months before the first deliveries ... hopefully!

But is it autopilot 2.0 on the Model 3 ???
Well, this is exactly what Elon answered with "we're doing the obvious thing". And I think it is the obvious thing to add AP 2.0 to TM3 if it is ready (and in use in the Model S/X).

... on the other hand, if the HW was not ready when the pencils were down for the Model 3, maybe the obvious thing is to wait for a later inclusion ;)

Well, this is exactly what Elon answered with "we're doing the obvious thing". And I think it is the obvious thing to add AP 2.0 to TM3 if it is ready (and in use in the Model S/X).

... on the other hand, if the HW was not ready when the pencils were down for the Model 3, maybe the obvious thing is to wait for a later inclusion ;)
Elon has confirmed the hardware is ready and available today and it's only a matter of software.

Elon Musk on Tesla fully autonomous car: ‘What we’ve got will blow people’s minds, it blows my mind… it’ll come sooner than people think’