Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before ordering this was a concern of mine but I just had to order. I may have missed it by only a few weeks "In Transit" now. No regrets! Next month it will be some other update etc.....Like twonius said "such is life in the world of continuous improvements "

Reactions: Canuck
Author of the article here. @ecarfan is right. While new housing are going into production, it doesn't mean that the vehicles will have AP 2.0 hardware suite.

Tesla's current vehicles have housing for two cameras in only one is being used: Tesla Model X delivered with dual front-facing camera housing hinting at Autopilot 2.0

It could simply have to do with the timing in the supply chain. The new housing is ready and doesn't make sense anymore to produce/order the old one.

I missed out AP hardware on the first go round but my windshield has the shaded out part where the camera was placed (and it looks odd). So it seems to me they got related parts ready for the addition of the hardware in advance, as they seem to be doing now.
I agree that retrofit is highly unlikely. Even if it could be done, most service stations are behind just trying to keep up with maintenance and repair appointments.

I commend twonis and Chopr147 for their attitudes of no regrets. I think some regret will creep in now and then but that's just the nature of the beast. You just have to put it out of your mind and really appreciate what you have. After 2.5 years I still really look forward to getting into my Non-AP, large frunk, 80 amp charger car.

But I'm also looking forward to a fully loaded Model 3 with the new AP 2.0.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I agree that retrofit is highly unlikely. Even if it could be done, most service stations are behind just trying to keep up with maintenance and repair appointments.
But I'm also looking forward to a fully loading Model 3 with the new AP 2.0.

Agree on the service station part. Repairs and service are proving to be the two weak points Tesla has.
.. speaking of continuous improvements, you're going to be so jealous of AP 3.0 in my future Model S2.

I missed out AP hardware on the first go round but my windshield has the shaded out part where the camera was placed (and it looks odd). So it seems to me they got related parts ready for the addition of the hardware in advance, as they seem to be doing now.

I commend twonis and Chopr147 for their attitudes of no regrets. I think some regret will creep in now and then but that's just the nature of the beast. You just have to put it out of your mind and really appreciate what you have. After 2.5 years I still really look forward to getting into my Non-AP, large frunk, 80 amp charger car.

But I'm also looking forward to a fully loaded Model 3 with the new AP 2.0.
Once I get my S I think I will be so happy that any regret will be just silly. If I waited for the best and latest I would still be in a Yukon for years

I am not going to spend $110k and have an attitude of "No Regrets." To be honest, I would probably find a nice corner to cry in :D especially considering how it will affect resale down the road. The whole reason I'm buying the X is for autopilot since most of my driving is on the highway. I am just sick and tired of driving! I pushed back my delivery after the AP 2.0 rumors broke last month and I'm sure tons of others are doing the same thing. I hope Tesla can upgrade current vehicles because it's an easy revenue stream. I'm sure thousands of people would pay for an upgrade to their current hardware.

My wife and I have a little expertise in radars having helped design a few of them at Jhuapl there only seems to be on radar based on that schematic there's a radar/camera combo and 3 additional tripple cams now I don't know if those tripple cams have there own integrated radar but it looks like there using the cameras to assist the radar in target Id of the tracks the radar sees.. How I see an inherit design issue here as the radar is only going to able to track so many things at once and the cameras going to see more than the radar does and wiring is only going to allow so much bandwidth ... But hey maybe it's changed by now..

I wonder if level 3 or 4 autonomy will still only cost $2500 considering the extra hardware.

Um, consider the roadster battery upgrade. My Dad would say "That was more than my house!".

My wife and I have a little expertise in radars having helped design a few of them at Jhuapl there only seems to be on radar based on that schematic there's a radar/camera combo and 3 additional tripple cams now I don't know if those tripple cams have there own integrated radar but it looks like there using the cameras to assist the radar in target Id of the tracks the radar sees.. How I see an inherit design issue here as the radar is only going to able to track so many things at once and the cameras going to see more than the radar does and wiring is only going to allow so much bandwidth ... But hey maybe it's changed by now..

O.K. , but I want to hear from your wife too.

• Funny
Reactions: fallen888
I am not going to spend $110k and have an attitude of "No Regrets." To be honest, I would probably find a nice corner to cry in :D especially considering how it will affect resale down the road.

Regret is a state of mind that is easily remedied. I had my car for the summer before AP hardware was added in Sept 2014. It was a great summer with my car, wife and kids (not necessarily in that order). The number of summers I have left in my life (and days) are winding down fast. I'm only 50 but still that leaves me with about maybe 25 good and healthy, being able to drive, summers left (knock wood). I hope it's 35 more. But the point is, even one day on this earth without my car is too long for me. While I have tinges of regret sometimes, I will never get that summer back with my car and it was a great one, and I wouldn't do anything differently.

As to resale value, get ready for the value of your vehicle to fall like a rock after you drive it off the lot, whether it be AP 1.0 or AP 2.0. I never look at a car as an investment. I look at my investments as investments.

After 2.5 years I still really look forward to getting into my Non-AP, large frunk, 80 amp charger car.
But I'm also looking forward to a fully loaded Model 3 with the new AP 2.0
Right there with you! My situation is exactly the same.

Though I confess I will miss my huge frunk -- and the super cool auto extending door handles -- when I trade in my S for a Model 3. Nevertheless, my wife and I want a smaller car.
Um, consider the roadster battery upgrade. My Dad would say "That was more than my house!".
The reason the Roadster 3.0 battery is so expensive is well known: they are essentially built by hand and in very low volumes.

I predict that future versions of AP, even up to full autonomous driving, will cost essentially the same as the current version costs. The electrek.com article predicts that AP 2.0 will be 4 additional radars and two additional cameras: not a lot of extra cost in hardware.

Last edited:
Right there with you! My situation is exactly the same.

Though I confess I will miss my huge frunk -- and the super cool auto extending door handles -- when I trade in my S for a Model 3. Nevertheless, my wife and I want a smaller car.

I'm also looking forward to a smaller car to zip around town in. But I'm keeping my S and our Leaf will go. My wife now drives our Leaf more than her BMW - at least when our kids are not driving it - and I just can't bring myself to part with my S.

I can look closely when I take delivery of mine, likely on 8/13.

Given that the author of the article posted in this thread that the housing is going into production, I doubt you'll see the actual hardware in two days, but it will be interesting to hear what you get...

Author of the article here. @ecarfan is right. While new housing are going into production, it doesn't mean that the vehicles will have AP 2.0 hardware suite.

Reactions: javawolfpack