Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That appears to be a common expectation, but all Elon actually said was there would be an Autopilot announcement near the end of the year.

I think there will be an announcement about the new capabilities of Autopilot (whatever those may be), and that Models S and X will see them right away (or after the first of the year). He may not even mention Model 3.

I think Reveal 2 for Model 3 will be in March or April next year.
You might be right. Tesla has plenty of time for any kind of reveal.
I believe Tesla is going to be quiet for a long long time. What new news could they possibly wow the crowd with?

You might be right. Tesla has plenty of time for any kind of reveal.
I believe Tesla is going to be quiet for a long long time. What new news could they possibly wow the crowd with?
Just the obvious thing. ;) I agree with others who've said that around the end of the year Elon will announce AP v2 and that it will be/has already been added to recently built MS/MX's. Then Reveal 2 will take place around March of '17.

I think you are guessing well.
1. Tesla has stated that the S/X will always be technology leaders --> AP2.0 will be introduced to them first. If AP2.0 requires new hardware, it will be intriduced to S/X first.
2. A 3 second-reveal will require new protypes to be built, this will take a while, both from hardware and software aspects. I think late 2016 thru spring 2017. A year post the first reveal sounds like a good bet.

Can't wait :)

2. A 3 second-reveal will require new protypes to be built, this will take a while, both from hardware and software aspects. I think late 2016 thru spring 2017. A year post the first reveal sounds like a good bet.
Meh pencils down already and they just ordered parts for potentially 300 Model 3's. The hardware will not be an issue for a reveal later this year.

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
Same here. Sounds like cars delivered next week will be the ones with new hardware.

It would be a bit annoying to have missed the cutoff by 2 weeks but such is life in the world of continuous improvements and I'm still very happy with my car.

I wonder if level 3 or 4 autonomy will still only cost $2500 considering the extra hardware.

Reactions: Canuck
That news item has no update on when the MCU will arrive. Unless the MCU is on board all new sensors will not function to the fullest abilities

It doesn't make sense for them to release the new hardware in stages if new MCU will not be part of the retrofit, so I am not entirely trusting this article.

Interesting article - Tesla Autopilot 2.0: next gen Autopilot powered by more radar, new triple camera, some equipment already in production
Anyone notice any differences in the newest cars? Also if the above is true, pretty much means that 2.0 is going to rely heavily in new hardware. Not so optimistic that older cars will have an upgrade path, but still hoping for the best.
I think this quote from the article answers your question:

QUOTE: "The new sensors have yet to be introduced in production vehicles, but everything points toward a release fairly soon. Several components have already been introduced in the production cars, like wiring harnesses and as previously mentioned, the housing for the triple camera system on the rearview mirror cutout."

So the "some equipment" phrase from the article headline means a new wiring harness and a new camera housing where the rear view mirror is. It does not mean the additional radars and forward facing cameras mentioned in the article as being part of AP 2.0.

I am as certain as I can be that Tesla will not offer an AP 2.0 retrofit for the AP 1.0 cars (those produced from mid-September up to now).

That news item has no update on when the MCU will arrive. Unless the MCU is on board all new sensors will not function to the fullest abilities

It doesn't make sense for them to release the new hardware in stages if new MCU will not be part of the retrofit, so I am not entirely trusting this article.

Unless the current MCU can handle things with the new sensors but with AP1.0 software, and that an entirely new module will be added to handle Autopilot things and take that load off of the MCU. (The wiring harness could be there, and once the module is available you just plug it in, set a configuration option, and redeploy the firmware. Bam. AP 2.0)

I'm not saying that is what will be done, but it is certainly possible for them to plan to retro-fit this.

Sounds like cars delivered next week will be the ones with new hardware.
I saw nothing in the article that indicated AP 2.0 cars would be "delivered next week". The article states this:

QUOTE "With this said, there are also several other essential components to Autopilot 2.0 that need to make it to the vehicles before Tesla can release the system and we can’t confirm at which stage of development/production they are at the moment and therefore, we can’t offer an expected time of arrival for Autopilot 2.0."

Perhaps you read this paragraph from the article and thought it was referring to the coming new AP 2.0 hardware, but it does not:

QUOTE: "In the meantime, Tesla owners with autopilot can still expect some significant improvements with the upcoming v8.0 of Tesla OS. There’s still no word on when the wide release of the update should happen, but it has been in closed beta for over a month now. Based on Tesla’s history of closed beta programs, it should be just a few weeks away from release."

This is what I was referring to. People have been waiting for the new triple cam for a while

"Additionally, the system will feature a new front-facing triple camera system for which we are told Tesla started installing new housing in cars this week."