Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Lane Splitters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moving forward maybe I’ll get a dash cam to catch a plate. Oh well....Thanks again.

I'm glad your mirror wasn't busted. The dashcam was the first and best add on I made immediately after each delivery. It's primarily for insurance purposes but has provided excellent AP evidence for my SvC, crazy footage for CHP of a DB careening out of control while taking 3 cars out with him, and even a laugh at myself while cussing like a truck driver following a double blow out. Highly encourage you to get one. Safe driving!

Reactions: .jg.
. Anyway, I pulled off the I-5 (San Diego Co. by Encinitas) and reset my passenger mirror which was fortunately not broken.

Curious, folding and unfolding the mirrors didn't work? I say that because, not even realizing we had the feature, I was trying to clean Frozen rain off my mirrors, as well as the rest of the car, when I was on vacation once. A mirror popped loose and I thought I'd broken something. Tesla help instructed me to push the button twice. Sure enough it reset everything.

I tried folding and unfolding the mirror but it rotated the wrong direction (full forward) which I thought was odd. I did not push the button twice in succession. Maybe that’s the difference.

Wow. Advocating aggravated assault/attempted murder. Nice guy you are.
I didn't "advocate" anything. A. Learn how to read. B. Get a dictionary and look up the word "advocate." You're in for a big surprise.

I'm a great guy...I don't go around ripping mirrors off of cars and I always move left for the approaching bikes. But you start damaging my property you don't get to flee.

I should just ignore this thread but like the other dozen - I cannot.

I lane split. I have spilt lanes for 30+ years without one incident. I am obviously very pro-motorcycle. I get passed more on my morning commute than an A group track day session (and I am not that fast).

I hate A$$hats that give motorcycles bad names...but there are A$$hats in cars - including Tesla owners.

I video my ride into work. Here is my summary from today.

A cop pulled someone over on the right side - 3 waze solo commuters jumped out of the HOV lane without looking - they are more worried about a ticket than killing me.

I had a blue Fusion at very slow speed purposely move to block me from splitting. He was old and I am assuming bitter - he can was only able to block me because I split slow.

I had white F250 construction truck do the same as the blue Fusion.

I had someone change lanes - then signal - then swerve back into their lane after they saw me - almost hitting the car who sped up to take his spot when he changed lanes.

I had one person in a silver Mercedes watching a movie or facetiming. They didn't see traffic was moving again and the car behind honked on the freeway!

I had a couple dozen people texting - so many I dont count.

I had one person smoking weed (down from my 2.5 average)

I had dozens of cars move to let me over - I wave to almost everyone every day.

I only had one motorcycle pass me this morning - it was the only motorcycle I saw on my 17 mile bumper to bumper commute. The whole commute was gridlock.

Yes, the guy who knocked the mirror and flipped the OP off is an A$$hat and as others have pointed out dumb motorcyclists have a Darwin way of sorting things out. Unfortunately Darwin does not help thin the 4 wheel A$$hat number - so think that combined with smart phones helps the A$$hat 4 wheel number keep growing.

I prefer not to be an A$$hat...I apologize for the A$$hat motorcyclist.

I sometimes lane split, but it is always 100% on my own responsibility. Nobody is required to move over to let me through. If the lane is tight...I wait.

Just because lane splitting is not illegal, does not mean the splitters are entitled.

Bikers are now aware of autopilots and need to adjust accordingly.

Had a friend say that there is no road rage where he lives in Alaska, because everyone carries a gun. Think about that for a minute before slapping a mirror.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
The reason lane splitting is dangerous is not because of the bike, it's because the person on the bike is trusting the average idiot in the car to not make a sudden, unsignaled lane change.

Lane splitting, when done with a reasonable degree of caution, is actually shown to be safer for motorcyclists FYI because one of the leading causes of idiot drivers killing motorcyclists (rear-ending) is effectively removed. Also reduces traffic, as an extra bonus for people in cars.

Lane splitting is illegal in most US states. It is legal in California but the onus is on the motorcycle rider to prove that it was safe to perform the manoeuvre and that the other road user instigated any collision e.g. lane change with indicating

I live in California, where lane splitting is legal.

My brother lives in SoCal and these lane splitters scare the crap out of me when I'm driving... mainly because it's illegal where I live (but doesn't seem to stop everyone from doing it).

BUT, and this is my question... my brother says it's only legal if traffic is moving at or below some speed. I thought he said 30 MPH. Is this the case? If so, no one seems to care about that little nuance.

My brother lives in SoCal and these lane splitters scare the crap out of me when I'm driving... mainly because it's illegal where I live (but doesn't seem to stop everyone from doing it).

BUT, and this is my question... my brother says it's only legal if traffic is moving at or below some speed. I thought he said 30 MPH. Is this the case? If so, no one seems to care about that little nuance.

This is not the case. There is no speed limit to splitting (well, other than Prima Facie), but they DO require lane splitters to wear helmets so when they get cut off and fall down, they have a better chance to survive........

Reactions: mknox
The reason lane splitting is dangerous is not because of the bike, it's because the person on the bike is trusting the average idiot in the car to not make a sudden, unsignaled lane change.

…which is substantially less lethal than being rear-ended by some sock clucker futzing about on his phone and rear-ending and then running over the rider, which is one of the most common ways that car drivers kill motorcyclists (the other being violation of right of way by turning across the path of an oncoming bike).

Getting hit from the side is actually not THAT big of a deal if your speed differential isn't huge. I had someone merge into me from the side when overtaking at ~ +10mph and stayed upright and stopped safely without too much drama. Even if I'd been bumped into another car, the outcome likely would have been the same.

The main risk from splitting is doing it with a LARGE speed differential and potentially hitting the back of a car that is changing lanes or being diverted into the rear of the car in the next lane. This is actually pretty rare.

I find it INCREDIBLY ironic that on a forum that whines incessantly about uninformed people having strong negative opinions on Teslas and EVs in general because they believe things not based in fact, people self-righteously do the exact same things towards riding a motorcycle.

Reactions: SkooterG

The CHP had guidelines posted for a while until it was determined they didn't have the legal authority to do so, then they were given the legal authority, but have not yet created new guidelines. Right now it's basically up to a cop to decide if you're being reckless, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: mknox
Lane splitting is illegal in most US states. It is legal in California but the onus is on the motorcycle rider to prove that it was safe to perform the manoeuvre and that the other road user instigated any collision e.g. lane change with indicating.
Known as lane filtering in the UK, it is legal in the UK and most of Europe - but not in some circumstances e.g. near a pedestrian crossing.

It is neither legal nor illegal in California. (Go figure CA would come up with that.)

dmv.CA.gov said: