Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and the B word (brexit)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering what is your opinion regarding Autopilot's full features being unlocked if the UK leaves EU and obviously not under EU regulations anymore. Do you think it will happen?

Not interested in a brexit debate :) Just hoping that we will sometime in the future enjoy the full features of Autopilot, one way or another.

I was wondering what is your opinion regarding Autopilot's full features being unlocked if the UK leaves EU and obviously not under EU regulations anymore. Do you think it will happen?

Not interested in a brexit debate :) Just hoping that we will sometime in the future enjoy the full features of Autopilot, one way or another.

As far as I understand it all European regulations will apply across the board when we leave ... at least until a specific change to the relevant applicable law is made. I would be surprised if this will be seen as much of a priority given that there will be so much other stuff to consider for change. Will politicians really want to be seen as responsible for reducing the level of safety in the UK over what it is at present? I think it is much easier to not apply a restriction in the first place ... unfortunately, given that we already have the restriction, it will be a (politically) harder decision to remove it.

zero chance, as with most EU legislation (the autopilot regs are actually UN regs which UK has adopted). We will still want & need to trade with Europe, so we will have to follow current and future EU regulations - we'll just have no say in what they are.

Tesla could be a bit cute and programme the cars to follow UK rules in the UK, and EU rules in the EU. The question is whether HMG will relax the rules from the EU level to the US level.

There are a couple of things that point to them possibly doing this: the stated drive on tech innovation, and the Transport Secretary owning a Model 3...

For a couple of years back around 1997 - 9 I was Head of Type Approval for all UK maritime radio, radar, navigation aids etc, and a Notified Body in EU-speak. This meant I was fairly heavily involved in rule-making, including stuff like the LV and EMC Directives. TBH, the only really significant flaw with EU rule making was that large manufacturers within the EU had, IMHO, far, far to much influence. Often it seemed that regulations were framed more to protect commercial interests (especially, but not exclusively, those within Germany) than they were to make goods safer, more reliable and more effective.

The vast majority of EU regulation is, not withstanding that criticism, fairly well drafted and sensible. The primary flaws we experience seem to be associated with a peculiarly British tendency to try and follow regulations to the letter, rather than use them as guidance. The French, in particular, never seemed to be able to understand why we would get so vexed about a particularly rigorous and difficult regulatory element. At times there was almost a Gallic shrug, indicating that "the rosbif's are mad, again". Much of the UK annoyance with EU regulation is not with EU regulation at all, but the manner in which we have effectively re-written it into statute law here, We like to make rules even where none really exist, for reasons I've never wholly been clear about.

As far as vehicle TA goes, I doubt anything at all significant will change. We buy a large volume of cars from the EU, so it seems unlikley that we'd adopt different standards. We may choose to tidy up some of the slightly bonkers bits of vehicle approval legislation, but my guess is that, if anything, we would try to tighten up other areas, particularly those surrounding full self driving. Some countries in the EU will be an easier proposition than the UK for FSD, just because their road neoworks are no where near as complex a driving environment.

• Disagree
Reactions: T.F.S.