Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove to work this morning with autopilot.

It makes you keep your hands on the wheel. YUK. Hoping for future changes that release us from this as it considerably hurts the appeal of the feature.

Its going to take a lot of getting used to. The car steers pretty well, but it doesn't drive the way a human does. On curves instead of hugging the inside of the lane it almost hugs the outside, which is annoying. When passing other cars it doesn't react by sliding over a little, but rather stays right where it wants to be. So you have to get used to being closer to other cars than you might be if you were driving.

I had one episode of "Take Over Immediately" this morning. I told it to change lanes, and it did. When I turned the turn signal off, it panicked and gave me the message. I'm thinking maybe I turned the signal off too soon. Or it might have been that the lane I was in was exiting one freeway and feeding to a huge exit ramp into the sky, so maybe it didn't like that?

Was it not able to detect your lane markings and therefore asked you to hold the wheel? Your report contradicts everyone else that says you don't really have to keep your hands on (despite what the release says)

Speaking of verbiage, was anyone else surprised to see that in the blog post Tesla is still talking about the ultrasonic sensors operating at all speeds?
I am not surprised. I think the ultrasonics operate at all speeds because of the park g sensor function and the collision avoidance function, so they need to be working at very slow speeds and after speeds.

At least the release notes, not that most people read them, have more proper language.

I just started watching MarcG's video, and stopped to post this.

Apparently when one enables the "Autosteer Beta" option, a set of instructions pop up that must be acknowledged. However when one enables the "Auto Lane Change", there is no pop up.

This is a missed opportunity on Tesla's part.

Odd. At 7:42 in the video when he takes off, I'd swear I heard the grunt of an ICE V8 as he accelerated.

Things I don't like:

• No temperature unless you display the clock app which I'd never do.
  • No kw meter unless you display the trip.
  • kw meter has less usable resolution. Has anyone checked if the REST API still works?
  • No time window display on the meter. Can you still select 5 15 and 30 minutes?

The overall layout is a big step backwards. If they were moving from version 7 to 6, I'd call that an improvement. The V6 layout feels a ton more refined and useful. It's not just be getting used to it. I liked the old layout from the very beginning.

Odd. At 7:42 in the video when he takes off, I'd swear I heard the grunt of an ICE V8 as he accelerated.

Things I don't like:

• No temperature unless you display the clock app which I'd never do.
  • No kw meter unless you display the trip.
  • kw meter has less usable resolution. Has anyone checked if the REST API still works?
  • No time window display on the meter. Can you still select 5 15 and 30 minutes?

The overall layout is a big step backwards. If they were moving from version 7 to 6, I'd call that an improvement. The V6 layout feels a ton more refined and useful. It's not just be getting used to it. I liked the old layout from the very beginning.

Actually both time and temp were still at the top of the 17" display, which I believe was not the case in some of the leak videos, so that appears to be a change Tesla made, perhaps in response to complaints.

Also the probable 7.1 UI that was shown yesterday "by mistake" on the media kit website has changes that I think you would view as improvements. Perhaps you haven't seen those posts, or that screen shot of the UI.

Actually both time and temp were still at the top of the 17" display, which I believe was not the case in some of the leak videos, so that appears to be a change Tesla made, perhaps in response to complaints.

Also the probable 7.1 UI that was shown yesterday "by mistake" on the media kit website has changes that I think you would view as improvements. Perhaps you haven't seen those posts, or that screen shot of the UI.
Time and temp at the top of the 17" display I'll take as an acceptable compromise, not perfect, but acceptable.
I'd also consider moving all the energy stuff to the app that takes up the right side to be an acceptable compromise, IF it had better resolution and markings, but it doesn't, so it's just a gigantic leap backwards.

There is a strong element of user preference at work here. I love the new layout and would characterize it as more refined and useful. It seems to me that the new functionality advising you what the car plans to do in autopilot mode is mission-critical data and the things that it replaces are to my mind far less important.

I do agree with you that there is no reason to remove those elements when you aren't in autopilot mode, but I suppose they were trying to have a consistent look and feel.

To answer your last question, the energy meter does still track to the time period selected on the main screen as it did previously. I haven't checked the REST API, but Remote S and the official Tesla app still appear to work, so I am optimistic. I'll check REST when I get home assuming someone else doesn't report sooner.

Tested AP Lanekeeping again on way to work. Drifted out of lane a couple of times. Demanded I take control which I did of course. I think it's definitely a Beta!! But it's fun. Works well on highway where the lanes are clear and the traffic is fairly light. Will be awesome for long distances. Not sure I trust it right now.

Was it not able to detect your lane markings and therefore asked you to hold the wheel? Your report contradicts everyone else that says you don't really have to keep your hands on (despite what the release says)

I only got one warning to put my hands on the wheel. I put them on for the rest of the trip. Not sure why it happened - maybe it was not a nag, but auto-pilot was unsure of the road and wanted me to drive (as you suggest)?

- - - Updated - - -

Tested AP Lanekeeping again on way to work. Drifted out of lane a couple of times. Demanded I take control which I did of course. I think it's definitely a Beta!! But it's fun. Works well on highway where the lanes are clear and the traffic is fairly light. Will be awesome for long distances. Not sure I trust it right now.

My commute is through Houston rush hour traffic - it did fine on the highway, no trouble at all. It did get confused when I-10 and 59 split - it couldn't decide which way but finally followed 59. I hope they continue to improve it - I'd like it to follow the inside of the curve more than the outside for example.

7.0 is going to look awfully silly in a 2013 Model S ordered before even parking sensors existed.

I really don't want to see some mini-me image of the car where the speedo used to be, when that image can't do anything (other than headlights I guess... whoppee).

Has anyone tried auto parking?

From another thread:

The auto park is actually my favorite feature. At first it didn't seem to work for me either. But I think it has to do with speed, your lateral distance from the parked cars and the amount you pull up passed the space. It does a beautiful parking job! Completes with a stop with equal distance from the front and back cars. But I think the "P" symbol should appear a bit brighter on the instrument panel so you know it "sees" the space and is ready to park