Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just downloaded 7.0 ... here are the release notes. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4078.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4079.JPG
    IMG_4079.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4081.JPG
    IMG_4081.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4082.JPG
    IMG_4082.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 70
Cross posting-

There is an analog speedometer! (sort of)

The TACC indicator, when not engaged (gray) acts as an analog speedomoter. As you speed up and slow down the little line moves up and down. When you engage TACC, the little line turns blue (as well as the whole indicator) and gets set to the triangular mark above it showing your engaged TACC speed.

It's kind of cool. Not functional (since it's so small), but a nice touch. Good job Tesla.

Cross posting-

There is an analog speedometer! (sort of)

The TACC indicator, when not engaged (gray) acts as an analog speedomoter. As you speed up and slow down the little line moves up and down. When you engage TACC, the little line turns blue (as well as the whole indicator) and gets set to the triangular mark above it showing your engaged TACC speed.

It's kind of cool. Not functional (since it's so small), but a nice touch. Good job Tesla.

The funny part is that it's skewmorphic to a speedometer that's no longer on the car. Nice touch Tesla! :)

I tried it this morning after we got back in town. I couldn't get it to activate until, of course, I read the release notes and found out how to engage it first in 'P'. But then I was on surface streets. Oh well. Engaged it and it drove great! I'm so stoked about this. And I love the new UI. I've already seen whiners on here about how it can be further improved and how it's trying to leave the freeway in the right-hand lane all the time. But it's BETA. So I'm cool with all that. Let the road trips begin!

I've already seen whiners on here about how it can be further improved and how it's trying to leave the freeway in the right-hand lane all the time. But it's BETA. So I'm cool with all that.

Posters who are trying to help Tesla improve the software are "whiners?"

You may be "cool" with the software trying to leave the freeway from the right-hand lane because it's a beta, but I don't think that justifies referring to others who are trying to help improve the software as "whiners."

That's not cool.

Posters who are trying to help Tesla improve the software are "whiners?"

You may be "cool" with the software trying to leave the freeway from the right-hand lane because it's a beta, but I don't think that justifies referring to others who are trying to help improve the software as "whiners."

That's not cool.

Plus keeping people aware of potential problem areas is very important at this stage. I want as much information as possible, especially about corner cases that might be weird or unusual.

There's a difference between pointing out limitations of the software / UI / etc. and what some people do which is to extend this to whinging about how Tesla is doomed to failure because of some flaw or Tesla is evil because it misrepresented capabilities.

Yesterday I drove about 120 miles with the new software. First leg was on a very steep, winding two lane road that goes over a 9000 ft. pass and the speed limit is 50 mph for most of the route. The autopilot did very well for the most part but I found that on some of the hairpin turns it slowed the car too much (down to 35 when 45 would have been fine) and on others it didn't slow the car enough (at least I was uncomfortable with the speed). I can see that this is one area where the constant feedback from drivers on this road could improve the autopilot. It will be interesting to see if the performance on this route improves over time.

The second leg was on I80 and the autopilot performed very well, keeping to the center of the lane and executing lane changes flawlessly. I did have a problem where a few times when I was in the right lane, it started to take an exit ramp so vigilance is necessary. I think that the software could improve in this area with the automatic feedback from people driving this route. Again, it will be interesting to see if the autopilot can "learn" from experience.

Yesterday I drove about 120 miles with the new software. First leg was on a very steep, winding two lane road that goes over a 9000 ft. pass and the speed limit is 50 mph for most of the route. The autopilot did very well for the most part but I found that on some of the hairpin turns it slowed the car too much (down to 35 when 45 would have been fine) and on others it didn't slow the car enough (at least I was uncomfortable with the speed).
The second leg was on I80 and the autopilot performed very well, …

So auto Pilot sees a hairpin turn and slows itself to a safe speed? Wow!

9,000 ft and then onto I80; Mt. Rose Highway?

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla folks, if you are reading, would you please provide analog speed? Analog speed indication is useful to see and control how fast one is decelerating to meet a lower "speed limit ahead" as well as acceleration rate as speed limits increase on the way out of a town.

It looks like it would be easy to simply enclose the digital speed indicator within a 270º arc with speed marks and a cursor without taking up much more room.

Tesla folks, if you are reading, would you please provide analog speed? Analog speed indication is useful to see and control how fast one is decelerating to meet a lower "speed limit ahead" as well as acceleration rate as speed limits increase on the way out of a town.

It looks like it would be easy to simply enclose the digital speed indicator within a 270º arc with speed marks and a cursor without taking up much more room.

If you really want to see how fast you're decelerating, look at the tiny TACC icon. When it's not engaged, the line moves with your speed. It's hard to gauge exact speed, but you have the digital readout for that.

So auto Pilot sees a hairpin turn and slows itself to a safe speed? Wow!

9,000 ft and then onto I80; Mt. Rose Highway?

Yes, Mt. Rose highway is one of my favorite drives. Great views of the lake and desert plus a very interesting and challenging road. Good skiing at the top in winter, also.

I was amazed when the Autopilot slowed the car going into the curves... very neat. I had the cruise set at 60 mph and it slowed for the curves. It needs to be better calibrated and I assume that this will come from the database of people driving it. It will be interesting to see if it gets better over time.

There's a difference between pointing out limitations of the software / UI / etc. and what some people do which is to extend this to whinging about how Tesla is doomed to failure because of some flaw or Tesla is evil because it misrepresented capabilities.

That may be so. But the post Stoney and I took issue with said this:

I've already seen whiners on here about how it can be further improved and how it's trying to leave the freeway in the right-hand lane all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I was amazed when the Autopilot slowed the car going into the curves... very neat. I had the cruise set at 60 mph and it slowed for the curves. It needs to be better calibrated and I assume that this will come from the database of people driving it. It will be interesting to see if it gets better over time.

I had it abort today in a curve, with the red alert demanding I take immediate control, but I wasn't surprised by that. I was ready for it, and was actually wondering what it was going to do.

The curve is a 45 MPG recommended speed curve from one 65 MPH highway to another. I've worked up to learning that it's really no problem at all for the P85D to take this curve with the cruise set to 70 without slowing down. I get annoyed when there's anyone in front of me and I don't get to take this curve at 70, as it's become fun, and the highlight of my boring highway drive. I wanted to see what would happen with autosteer set. I'm not sure if it tried to slow down at all, realized it wasn't slowing enough, and demanded attention, or if something else happened, but I wasn't very far into the curve at all before I had to take over.

I had it abort today in a curve, with the red alert demanding I take immediate control, but I wasn't surprised by that. I was ready for it, and was actually wondering what it was going to do.

The curve is a 45 MPG recommended speed curve from one 65 MPH highway to another. I've worked up to learning that it's really no problem at all for the P85D to take this curve with the cruise set to 70 without slowing down. I get annoyed when there's anyone in front of me and I don't get to take this curve at 70, as it's become fun, and the highlight of my boring highway drive. I wanted to see what would happen with autosteer set. I'm not sure if it tried to slow down at all, realized it wasn't slowing enough, and demanded attention, or if something else happened, but I wasn't very far into the curve at all before I had to take over.

Funny coincidence: there is a very similar curve on my commute to one of my offices in the east bay. I've always taken it at 70 mph even though most people slow to 50 or less, and it causes a nice 1/2G or something to that effect - no tire squeal but enough lateral acceleration that my body is pressed hard against the side bolster.

Anyway, in my case the car didn't slow down at all while approaching this curve, and autosteer didn't disengage - however the car didn't start turning at all so I had to take over.

I'll have to test that some more as it's a single occurrence for now, but I wonder why it didn't slow down in anticipation of the curve. I don't recall if the IC reflected the curve ahead - will keep an eye on it next time. Oh and the lane markings are clear, solid lines on both sides.

PS: for the local bay area folks, this is the 80 East onramp from the end of the bay bridge (on the Oakland side) to 80 East/580 West. Left-most lane, which is HOV only during carpool hours. In case anyone else wants to try it in the meantime :biggrin:

Funny coincidence: there is a very similar curve on my commute to one of my offices in the east bay. I've always taken it at 70 mph even though most people slow to 50 or less, and it causes a nice 1/2G or something to that effect - no tire squeal but enough lateral acceleration that my body is pressed hard against the side bolster.

Anyway, in my case the car didn't slow down at all while approaching this curve, and autosteer didn't disengage - however the car didn't start turning at all so I had to take over.
This is one of the many examples of what I am worried about.
Yes, I'm sure the car alerted you that you needed to take over (well, you don't mention it, you actually said it "didn't disengage", but let's hope it did). But you are a well informed, sophisticated Tesla owner. You have been part of many discussions here, you had a good idea what to expect.
What about an owner who isn't reading along here. Who lives in the Bay area, has tried autosteer a few times and then decides to go from the Bay Bridge to 580 West and who corrects too late or too aggressively and things go bad... when I talk to other owners I know offline about autosteer it is rather shocking how little they understand about the limitations. And how much they believe that they can just have the car drive and chat with the passengers. Yes, there are warnings. Bu-huh. They are everywhere. Who cares. That's the reality. I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen more stories of close calls.