Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just started watching MarcG's video, and stopped to post this.

Apparently when one enables the "Autosteer Beta" option, a set of instructions pop up that must be acknowledged. However when one enables the "Auto Lane Change", there is no pop up.

This is a missed opportunity on Tesla's part.

I just sent the following e-mail message to [email protected]:

--
With the rollout of version 7.0 with Autosteer Beta and Auto Lane Change beginning, I have a very simple recommendation that may save lives. I’d appreciate it if you would please pass this along to the appropriate department.

There is a lot of confusion over how Auto Lane Change works. Many people simply do not understand that they need to check their mirrors, and make sure the lane they wish to change into is clear before initiating the lane change by using the directional stalk. Tesla has published information about this. My simple suggestion would to be have that information pop up and require acknowledgment when the feature is enabled in the AutoPilot Settings screen. Currently there is a popup just like the one I am suggesting that requires acknowledgment in that very section when Autosteer Beta is enabled. I’m just suggesting adding a popup with required acknowledgment for Auto Lane Change as well.

Thanks.
--

I have one of the very first P85Ds from 2014. Still waiting for my 7.0. Just put the car on wifi here at my office. Everybody please cross your fingers and toes for me.

Does anyone know if updates happen in a 'push' or 'pull' fashion? Meaning, am I stuck waiting until they do another round of pushing?

I have one of the very first P85Ds from 2014. Still waiting for my 7.0. Just put the car on wifi here at my office. Everybody please cross your fingers and toes for me.

Does anyone know if updates happen in a 'push' or 'pull' fashion? Meaning, am I stuck waiting until they do another round of pushing?
Yes, everyone knows. They are pushed, and there is nothing you can do to get it sooner than when Tesla decides it's time for your VIN. Just like all the other updates your car has received, it being almost a year old.

Yes, everyone knows. They are pushed, and there is nothing you can do to get it sooner than when Tesla decides it's time for your VIN. Just like all the other updates your car has received, it being almost a year old.

I think what anxman meant was that if he had not received the update earlier, because he was not connected to WiFi when Tesla pushed out a big batch of updates, if his connecting to WiFi now would result in his getting the update pretty much immediately (assuming he had been slated for it earlier), or if he'd have to still be on WiFi whenever Tesla "pushed" another big batch.

Anxman--I don't think anyone knows the definitive answer to that. But people do get updates at all hours. Also people don't necessarily need to be connected via WiFi to get updates. There are many variables.

Good luck!

I think what anxman meant was that if he had not received the update earlier, because he was not connected to WiFi when Tesla pushed out a big batch of updates, if his connecting to WiFi now would result in his getting the update pretty much immediately (assuming he had been slated for it earlier), or if he'd have to still be on WiFi whenever Tesla "pushed" another big batch.

Anxman--I don't think anyone knows the definitive answer to that. But people do get updates at all hours. Also people don't necessarily need to be connected via WiFi to get updates. There are many variables.

Good luck!

Yeah, that's correct -- that was my question. Thanks for the info.

My car also has spotty wifi in the parking lot so I was trying to feel out if it is worth asking a neighboring company for their wifi credentials or even putting my phone in the car and tethering.

Yeah, that's correct -- that was my question. Thanks for the info.

y car also has spotty wifi in the parking lot so I was trying to feel out if it is worth asking a neighboring company for their wifi credentials or even putting my phone in the car and tethering.

Well, after posting what I did, and saying people get updates without being on WiFi, I read the post below from Cottonwood. It would seem to indicate that at least for now, in the very early stages of the 7.0 rollout, there is a strong bias towards those on Wifi, for what that's worth.

Thanks! I updated my post and here are the updated numbers:

With 77 reports on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, here are some results for today's 7.0 push:

• 77 total reports
  • 75 over WiFi
  • 2 over 3G
  • With the correction of what seems to be a data entry error, all updates have been to autopilot capable cars.

It seems that the priority is to cars connected via WiFi, and all updates are to autopilot capable cars...

For those that have done the upgrade to 7.0, but have not reported at Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App, I encourage you to enter your data soon. The shared info helps us all identify patterns in Tesla's update process.

I keep seeing conflicting statements regarding hands on the wheel. Is it required or suggested? Is it only when the autopilot doesn't have a perfect read of the lane or is it all the time? Most importantly, is it two hands or one? Any specific position? I never, ever drive with two hands on the wheel. Left hand on the lower left of the steering wheel. I can't ever imagine driving with two hands. Still a few weeks away from my MX so I have no way to test.

I keep seeing conflicting statements regarding hands on the wheel. Is it required or suggested? Is it only when the autopilot doesn't have a perfect read of the lane or is it all the time? Most importantly, is it two hands or one? Any specific position? I never, ever drive with two hands on the wheel. Left hand on the lower left of the steering wheel. I can't ever imagine driving with two hands. Still a few weeks away from my MX so I have no way to test.

It's a torque sensor. You can steer with your knees (not suggested) and the car will assume your hands are on the wheel.

Guys, I heared that 7.0 would have torque sleep for the rear drive models. I can't find any info. Do you know if this is present in the 7.0 version? And if it works for the range?

One of the leaked Beta release notes mentioned it. It would apply on RWD when at a stop and then spool it up when the go-pedal is hit, rather than leaving the motor "at the ready". Unknown whether it made it to the public 7.0, is planned for 7.1, or was dropped altogether. Time will tell once RWD owners start reporting their release notes.

One of the leaked Beta release notes mentioned it. It would apply on RWD when at a stop and then spool it up when the go-pedal is hit, rather than leaving the motor "at the ready". Unknown whether it made it to the public 7.0, is planned for 7.1, or was dropped altogether. Time will tell once RWD owners start reporting their release notes.

Yes, torque sleep is added in 7.0

IMG_3875.JPG