Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot bug with lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe your previous trial was for EAP and what you just purchased is the new AP, which doesn't include NoA? NoA is now part of the FSD offering.

How much were you charged when you purchased "autopilot"?
Yep, ^^^ this^^^ has to be OP's issue. IT is not a bug.
Trial was EAP, bought AP. AP does not do lane changes. Turn signal cancels lane keep.

Oddly when I bought for my 2016 S two weeks ago I had full EAP, but suspect it was because I had a EAP trial a year ago and they just turned that back on. But I bought FSD a week ago partly because I worried that I would eventually be reduced to the crappy AP. Tesla isn't too dumb. They are making it hard not to buy FSD.

I think yall have it a bit wrong, either that or I was misled by Tesla. The new Autopilot (not EAP, not FSD) is supposed to include Auto Lane Change according to my owners manual.

I just got my Standard Range Plus model 3 with Autopilot yesterday (3/23/19). I drove about 350 miles back home. After the first leg I was able to enable Autosteer. When I tried to use the Auto Lane change I hit the blinker and nothing happened. The blinker was on, I was using Autosteer, it did not cancel, but it did not change lanes either. It just sat there blinking. The freeway was pretty empty so I let it sit there blinking for a good 10+ seconds before canceling the blinker and trying again. It never did anything, I had to disable Autosteer, pass the car that was slow, then restart Autosteer. Then a few hundred miles later I tried it again. This time it canceled Autosteer when I hit the blinker.

The owners manual clearly states that Auto Lane Change is a function of Autosteer. And it makes sense, having to cancel and restart Autosteer every time you have to change lanes was annoying enough that I wound up just not using Autosteer.

Reactions: Mdoss
Had Autopilot trial since we took delivery of our MR3 4 weeks ago. Loved it so we decided to buy it. Now, when I try to use autopilot to change lanes, it just disables it. :/

Anyone else have this issue?
I have this issue as well and just sent in a support question as I have not been able to get lane change to work, yet according to their video and documentation it is part of AutoPilot.

This matter has been covered in earlier posts. Auto lane change is not functional with the new AutoPilot. The signal stalk acts to make it easier to deactivate autosteer. Anything to the contrary you might have heard or read is simply wrong. There is no bug.

You got something official from Tesla that settled this? Because everything I've found including my owners manual says I should have Auto Lane Change with Autopilot.

I went out and tested it again tonight. The signal stalk does not cancel Autosteer I have to force the wheel to cancel.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I tested this today. I have FSD. When on navigate on autopilot the car will suggest a lane change, and I need to confirm the change by signaling, then it will merge. The car will not do any lane change unless navigate on autopilot is on, even if auto steer is on. I have no idea if that is a bug or not.

From Teslarati, auto lane change is one of the function that is moved to FSD package. The new, cheaper AP is really autosteer + TACC. (See the attached screenshot).

Of course this is not the official statement from Tesla. Please let us know if you talk to a Telsa staff to clarify this issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190325-005816.jpg
    Screenshot_20190325-005816.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 117
You got something official from Tesla that settled this? Because everything I've found including my owners manual says I should have Auto Lane Change with Autopilot.

I went out and tested it again tonight. The signal stalk does not cancel Autosteer I have to force the wheel to cancel.
Read more carefully. I did not say it cancelled Autosteer. The stalk is reported to reduce the effort necessary to steer out of new Autosteer.

This seems rather subjective to me and your own impressions may be different, but for sure the stalk will not change lanes automatically. By design, not error. The manuals may not be updated in real time to reflect this, but denying this new reality isn’t going to improve your driving experience.

Reactions: KerryOH
I had a chat session with Tesla Saturday.

I pointed out that the verbiage at point-of-sale did not state that ALC was now part of FSD.
Autopilot-Upgrades-Screen-1024x677_grande.png

The support assistant claimed it was "clearly announced" that ALC was now part of FSD, not AP.

I referred her to that video, to which she replied that the video shows all Autopilot functions.
I agreed and pointed out that I had just purchased Autopilot...so I should have all Autopilot functions.
She disagreed. She pointed out that the verbiage on that page does not mention ALC. I replied that it does reference additional Autopilot features in the Owners Manual
Autopilot.PNG

The section of the manual dedicated to Autosteer starts on page 73 and ends on page 78. ALC functions appear in that section, on page 75, which would indicate that ALC is a sub-function of Autosteer
AutoSteer.png

She asked me what I wanted her to do. I asked to either receive the ALC functions as shown on the website, or receive a refund. She said she couldn't do either.

I will allegedly be contacted by a supervisor today or tomorrow.

...The support assistant claimed it was "clearly announced" that ALC was now part of FSD, not AP.

Tesla should have updated all its obsolete document and be ready on the announcement to reflect its new changes.

So, it's fair that you caught Tesla with its own conflicting documents.

But if we ONLY deal with the order page, I think the support assistant is right.

"Autopilot

Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

The automatic system can steer as much as it wants as long as it does not steer out of its lane.

It is true that the order page does not mention AutoLane Change anywhere but it is implied in:

"Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars."

It says your car can overtaking slower cars automatically and also it can go through different interchanges.

It can't do that if it keeps staying within its lane. So the automatic system has to leave its lane somehow. That's the function of AutoLane Change that's not mentioned anywhere on the order page.

In summary:

You have a case by pointing out obsolete materials including videos about Autopilot having AutoLane Change.

Tesla has the case if the court would rule that obsolete materials are to be ignored as they have nothing to do with the updated order page.

Tesla should have updated all its obsolete document and be ready on the announcement to reflect its new changes.

So, it's fair that you caught Tesla with its own conflicting documents.

But if we ONLY deal with the order page, I think the support assistant is right.

"Autopilot

Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane."

The automatic system can steer as much as it wants as long as it does not steer out of its lane.

It is true that the order page does not mention AutoLane Change anywhere but it is implied in:

"Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars."

It says your car can overtaking slower cars automatically and also it can go through different interchanges.

It can't do that if it keeps staying within its lane. So the automatic system has to leave its lane somehow. That's the function of AutoLane Change that's not mentioned anywhere on the order page.

In summary:

You have a case by pointing out obsolete materials including videos about Autopilot having AutoLane Change.

Tesla has the case if the court would rule that obsolete materials are to be ignored as they have nothing to do with the updated order page.
Except that the Autopilot page with the video wasn't obsolete. It had been recently updated to reflect the new Autopilot offering. Here's the old version of the page, showing Enhanced Autopilot:
EAP.PNG