Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this topic has been explained on another post, but I was recently looking at someone's guess on options and prices. On their estimate they listed Enhanced Autopilot ($3,000) and Full Self-driving ($2,000).

I am not an autopilot aficionado. Does anything like this exist or is it just made up and does anybody have an idea on what the difference is??. Does Tesla Model S or X define their autopilots this way?/

Thanks for the feedback.

I wil say that after watching this recent video up on Electrek.co I'm going to have to see a ton of improvment before I plunk down 5k (or more) for AP2.

From what I saw It doesn't look like a few bugs here and there that need fixed (which is what I was expecting) It more looks like there are only a few things here and there that actually work. I know we've got months to go, and more cameras will be added, but with the feature being software unshockable down the line maybe I'll wait until I see some vids that show it going from point A to point B without intervention post purchase.....we'll see.

Tesla Autopilot 2.0: Watch the latest and ‘greatly improved’ version of Autopilot at work

Reactions: jsrawa and sigmo32
They've already added the cameras and, unless you know something we don't, I haven't heard of any plans to add more.

Sorry I meant that the additional cameras that are there would come online and process into the AP system. My understanding is that currently AP2 is using one camera and possibly radar. The other 7 cameras are offline as far as current testing goes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry I meant that the additional cameras that are there would come online and process into the AP system. My understanding is that currently AP2 is using one camera and possibly radar. The other 7 cameras are offline as far as current testing goes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Now that I don't know. I thought they were using all of them just working on the software, but I'm not positive.

Now that I don't know. I thought they were using all of them just working on the software, but I'm not positive.
There are many threads on this, including one where the other cameras were covered with tape... only the main camera is in use now, along with radar.

The principle is to get it working as well as possible as simply as possible (one camera) and then add the others. A paraphrase from something Elon said... don't start with the complicated programming, which would be getting all the cameras to work as step 1.

Or, you can think of it as the current stage is to replicate Mobileye's setup, and then to expand using the added benefits of what comes with HW2.

In any case, a lot of us think it's doing quite well for starting from scratch in, what, 15 months, compared to the many years invested in the Mobileye programming.

I apologize if this topic has been explained on another post, but I was recently looking at someone's guess on options and prices. On their estimate they listed Enhanced Autopilot ($3,000) and Full Self-driving ($2,000).

I am not an autopilot aficionado. Does anything like this exist or is it just made up and does anybody have an idea on what the difference is??. Does Tesla Model S or X define their autopilots this way?/

Thanks for the feedback.

Well, as you state, it is that person's "guess". And their guess is pretty dumb when the actual price is listed on Tesla's website for the world to see.

Thank you for the leads. If understand what I am reading, I would have to purchase Enhanced Autopilot ($5,000) in order to take advantage of Full Self-Driving Capabilities ($3,000). So someone could do without Full Self-Driving Capabilities and still have all the benefits of the Enhanced Autopilot.
Correct, the current options are as follows (pricing is likely to be cheaper on model 3)

No Autopilot $0
Enhanced Autopilot $5000
Enhanced Autopilot $5000 + FSD Capabilities $3000 = $8000

You can't get FSD w/o EA.

I wil say that after watching this recent video up on Electrek.co I'm going to have to see a ton of improvment before I plunk down 5k (or more) for AP2.

From what I saw It doesn't look like a few bugs here and there that need fixed (which is what I was expecting) It more looks like there are only a few things here and there that actually work. I know we've got months to go, and more cameras will be added, but with the feature being software unshockable down the line maybe I'll wait until I see some vids that show it going from point A to point B without intervention post purchase.....we'll see.

Tesla Autopilot 2.0: Watch the latest and ‘greatly improved’ version of Autopilot at work

Well, there are (at least) thousands of AP2-enabled cars on the road, and there will be tens of thousands more by the time the 3 is available to purchase. There are a lot of non-enabled vehicles also collecting data.

I'm not concerned about it at all. By the time they start shipping cars to my area, I'm very confident AP2 will have surpassed AP1 and the full complement of cameras will be activated. (It'd be a pretty colossal failure to still be behind AP1 in ~18 month's time from now.) I'll even go so far as to say that they'll have implemented stopping at traffic lights and stop signs by then (if you pay for FSD, too).

We'll now we know pricing and capability of the model 3 autopilot.. i thought I would bring this thread back to the top. I am pretty much set on all the other options except color and autopilot level.

I am trying to think of a justification for just the $5k level of autopilot. I tried thinking how many times I would actually use it. So I could only come up with road trips/traffic (2-3 /year) and parking in garage (often) and other places.

I don't plan on selling anytime soon but I wouldn't think it would matter since it can be added later.

The FSD is not even in the ball park for me.

Any other benefits I am missing that might justify $5k now or wait till after and get it for 6k?

We'll now we know pricing and capability of the model 3 autopilot.. i thought I would bring this thread back to the top. I am pretty much set on all the other options except color and autopilot level.

I am trying to think of a justification for just the $5k level of autopilot. I tried thinking how many times I would actually use it. So I could only come up with road trips/traffic (2-3 /year) and parking in garage (often) and other places.

I don't plan on selling anytime soon but I wouldn't think it would matter since it can be added later.

Any other benefits I am missing that might justify $5k now or wait till after and get it for 6k?
Around where I am here where bumper to bumper traffic is the norm, the EAP will be worth every penny. I'm entertaining the idea of just getting the EAP, and putting off FSD until the demo and some indication of whether the regulators will allow it. It may be an extra $1K I will eat 3-5 years down the line by not paying the $3K now. I can live with it.

They should just include AP2 in the base price and charge $5k or $8k for the "full self driving". They need all the AP data they can get to improve it. Or at least credit my account monthly with a given rate per mile for using AP to help pay for it.

I'm holding off on Autopilot. My biggest concern is the lack of the instrument cluster infront of the driver. The autopilot in the Model S/X provides a lot of info regarding the current surroundings in the instrument cluster, and I don't see how this will be as smooth with the single center screen on the Model 3. I'll wait until much improved autopilot/FSD is available down the road and then maybe pay to add it at that point. Worst case I'll trade in my Model 3 in a couple of years for a fully loaded dual motor car anyway.

I'm with you there. I seldom drive long distance and try to avoid bumper-to-bumper traffic (retirement affords me the option not to get on the road at the same time as commuters), so I can't justify $5,000 for EAP, let alone another $3,000 for FSD. It's good to have the option to add these functions later on if I change my mind, even if it will cost a bit more. There's also the possibility the price for these software features may come down in the future when the development costs can be spread over hundreds of thousands of cars.

Also, now that some of the specs have been published, is it known whether the base car (w/o EAP) will have basic cruise control capability?

I sit in stop and go freeway traffic for around 2 ½ hours+ a day (and I live less than 15 miles from work) so for me EAP is my #1 option. Yeah, it will be great for the occasional road trip, but the daily gridlock is really what I want it for.