Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot does not adjust speed to speedlimit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

when I engage the autopilot in a 65 mph speed limit zone the speed is automatically set at 70 mph (my pre-defined +5 mph deviation).

BUT when I then enter a 45 mph zone the speed stays at 70 mph and does not go down to 50 mph.

Is that how it is supposed to be?

Thanks!

Hi,

when I engage the autopilot in a 65 mph speed limit zone the speed is automatically set at 70 mph (my pre-defined +5 mph deviation).

BUT when I then enter a 45 mph zone the speed stays at 70 mph and does not go down to 50 mph.

Thanks!
Curious, i was using AP on a divided road with speed limit of 50 and passed by school and car slowed down to 25. Although it was after hours, this auto reminder was great for safety purposes!

Hi,

Thanks!

This is odd. I went on a 2K roadtrip and were on a lot of 70mph roads, to 55, and went through towns that dropped to 45, 35 in town, then back up to 45, 55, 65, etc. It was one of the most useful periods of autopilot for me.

It always auto adjusted for me. I always thought it was kinda cool as it did it right when the street sign passed by that it most have read always. I want to say it stayed 5mph above the sign limit as well.

AP won't slow you down as you enter different speed zones. Just like it won't speed up if you enter a higher zone. One big caveat to this is if you are not on the interstate as smaller roads will force AP to change it's max speed while using autosteer.

This happens to me EVERY time during my daily commute. I start out on a small 2 lane road and the speeds go from 45, 35, 25 and each zone AP automatically adjusts and tells me that autosteer is limited to 5MPH over the posted limit. I have mine set to 10MPH over posted. However, when the speeds jump back to 35, 45, AP does not increase and this is by design.

• Informative
Reactions: Roger_wilco
speed assist 1.jpg
speed assist 2.jpg
speed assist 3.jpg
It always sets +5 over what it thinks the restricted road speed limit is. You have no control over it. Speed Assist has no effect on what speed AP sets.