Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot does not like road repairs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fellow Ohioan here - this type of road is very common in the great lakes area - especially Ohio. They will fill cracks with tar that will resemble a shiny black line. Some roads have several of these going in all directions. It will be interesting to see how their models figure this out (if they even do).

It is unreasonable to expect perfection in this situation as most of the humans (well, I'm assuming) on who have commented they also see primarily a double line. Sure, it's annoying to get stuck in a lane and have the car fight you to change to the other lane, but as far as "failures" go it's a pretty human one.
I agree with what your are saying there is no way the system can be reliable with that footage. Using repeater info for confirmation would be a great idea. I am shaking my old man cane at the cameras and image processing.
The Tesla cameras are supposed to be HDR but the video does not reflect that. The system seems to be concerned with not blowing out the sky which makes the who picture dark which makes the dashed lines difficult to see.
I think with proper HDR video everything would be fine.
I submitted this video to Tesla, I have an ongoing conversation with them on the topic and I hope they take it seriously. They now have exact time location and video. AP must be flawless on limited access roads like interstates or FSD will never happen.

The videos are definitely not saved to USB as HDR - and I know they get tone mapped before processing (at least per the architecture described for the FSD chip), and usually tone mapping is used when describing getting from HDR to SDR imagery, but I don't know if that means it's going HDR to SDR, or if it's processing the RGGB or whatever format data from the cameras into something else while still HDR, I'm not an expert at HDR production or tone mapping. :)

As for not blowing out the sky and making the rest of the picture dark... it is a tradeoff probably from trying to see white semi trucks crossing your path against a bright sky :)

After a lot of going back and forth with Tesla and trying 4 updates Tesla emailed me that they give up.

Thank you for providing the needed data to address your concern further with your Autopilot Systems Behavior.
After further investigation with our team, it would appear the vehicle will continue to encounter this limitation in this specific area until the state is able to address/ correct the way the road is paved.

The system is dependent on pattern/ image recognition and unfortunately given the roads current condition, our team is limited with how we can correct/ address the behavior moving forward.

We appreciate you understanding and correspondence moving forward.
I do not see Level 5 happening.

Drove this same stretch of I-71 today after a rain and got the same results: AP algorithms interpreted the dual tar stripes from the seam patch strip as an uncrossable double line.

View attachment 422853
There has been a regression in the latest patches where it sometimes won't recognize the left lane from in the right lane where there isn't any reason for visual confusion that I can discern. This is happening for me on roads that have previously always been correctly ID'd, since at least Sept 2018 when I took delivery.

Irrelevant, for now. Even if you have the FSD computer (i.e., bought since ~March this year), you are running functionally the same software as everyone on HW 2.x, and thus are going to experience the same limitations until such a time as they start shipping FSD specific code to run on FSD computer equipped vehicles.

Compared to

it would appear the vehicle will continue to encounter this limitation in this specific area until the state is able to address/ correct the way the road is paved.

:confused:

I think if that were the case they would have said that instead saying it will be broken until Ohio changes the road.

After a lot of going back and forth with Tesla and trying 4 updates Tesla emailed me that they give up.

I do not see Level 5 happening.
How did you get in contact with Tesla's AP team? I currently have an issue of NoA trying to lane change into a barrier and I would like to get in contact with Tesla as well. This is also in a construction zone as well.

And if anyone was wondering, the car won't actually do the lane change into the barrier. It just begins signaling and dinging for assistance with the "trying to complete maneuver" message o_O

Video here

How did you get in contact with Tesla's AP team? I currently have an issue of NoA trying to lane change into a barrier and I would like to get in contact with Tesla as well. This is also in a construction zone as well.

And if anyone was wondering, the car won't actually do the lane change into the barrier. It just begins signaling and dinging for assistance with the "trying to complete maneuver" message o_O

Video here
Just like any other issue just open a support case and you will(should) be routed to the proper people. Be prepared to offer video footage, mile marker information also date/time. In my case they wanted pictures of what I was seeing on the display at the time it was happening which I luckily had.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ