Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot driving does not use ultrasound sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a malfunction of one my sensors and car shows warning that auto park is disabled. However AP works perfectly with the exception of the lane change which seems to be disabled too.

This surprises me and now I finally understand why the car sometimes almost hits the car in the next lane, although the dashboard clearly shows that the sensors see the car.

What confuses me the most is the fact that giving this observation, a side crash avoidance should not exist. However there are videos showing AP steering to avoid a crash. How should this work ?

It uses them, but I suspect that if one or perhaps a few are disabled, they decided that should not be enough to disable the entire system.

Yesterday I did a somewhat quick lane change (quickly changed from right to left lane)--autopilot was not engaged. There were no cars around, but there was a concrete barrier adjacent to the left lane due to construction.

I suppose the car was concerned that I was approaching that wall so quickly, because it began to steer away from the barrier--or at least resist my steering wheel motion. I was surprised, as this is the first time that had happened to me in about 20k miles since AP came out. But I suppose that was the right thing to do--had I not been in control, to the sensors it could have appeared as though I was headed for the wall.