Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot-equipped Teslas have a "crash cam"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see anything on the boards about this. Is it just me, or is this kinda a big deal (video being recorded and stored unbeknownst to the owner)? I wonder if there is something buried in the EULA that authorizes Tesla to collect this video.
All cars have black boxes which record various parameters about the car in the even of a crash. wk057 retrieved these images from a crashed Tesla so they were stored in the car. It's not known whether or not any of this data is sent to Tesla.
I would love to be able to access this kind of data in the event I crashed... It could be quite useful.

Is it just me, or is this kinda a big deal (video being recorded and stored unbeknownst to the owner)? I wonder if there is something buried in the EULA that authorizes Tesla to collect this video.

We live in a litigious surveillance state, so it's only a matter of time until this sort of telemetry is federally mandated in all new vehicles. If you don't like it, remember that driving is a privilege granted by your betters.

You mean you're still waiting for Tesla to deliver on the whole hands free on-ramp to off-ramp experience? Yeah, me too.
Well I am... but that's actually beside the point. because even that was specifically advertised as not being autonomous.

If people on TMC keep calling it autonomous, it's hard to complain when the general public and the press do the same thing.

@wk057 On a side note... I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts in the private message I sent you...