Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new 8.1 is a huge improvement in my new MS 90D. Lane change is fast, AP1 was usually slow. Accurate lane tracking most of the time is highly appreciated. The occasional quick slowdown on the freeway needs to be addressed, but it does keep the driver awake. Overall, an enjoyable update for freeway driving.

The adjustable headrests work perfectly if you use the up/down lumbar control and don't attempt to press the <^v> buttons on the touchscreen! It makes me wonder for better human factors design, why not leave the lumbar control as-is and have up/down buttons on the touchscreen for the headrests?

• Informative
Reactions: njxman and EinSV
I love the new autosteer but it's ran me out of lane a few times and does not maintain lane very well in tight corners. Drove up highway 80 to Truckee from Sacramento yesterday and while it did exceptionally well (better than I expected) I had to babysit the car and take over a bunch going through the mountain. It's a windy highway but it's not as bad as highway 50 up the mountain. Curious how that would handle :D

Had a chance to try autopilot today for about 120 miles of highway driving - Garden State Parkway - went down the New Jersey shore (beautiful, sunny day for a "Tesla drive"). Despite reading about some of the issues that some drivers were experiencing - I had no issues whatsoever - car tracked steadily and smoothly the entire drive. Car tracked around curves and went under several overpasses without issue. Tried lane changing several times and was equally smooth. overall, a very nice experience with the recent AP2 release!!

I had a drive this afternoon with Autopilot for about 20 miles at 75 mph or so. Mostly smooth, but it is still a bit jerky around curves. My wife was about to doze off as we went around one curve and the car waited a little late to start the turn and then adjusted abruptly, waking her up in a panic as she thought we were about to be in an accident. Not good. It wasn't a sharp curve either. I'm sure things will improve as the collective miles add up using the new hardware and they are able to make more precise adjustments in the software.

Improved 8.1 did reasonably well, but tried to wander out of lane once in about 5 miles. Would have been deadly if I wasn't paying attention. Not as good as AP1 yet. Summon always tries to scrape the side of my garage, totally nerve-racking right now.