Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just backed the car out and "Driver assistance features unavailable message" was displayed. Got back out and back in again and drove around the neighborhood, and TACC and driver assitance features worked. THEN, got back in to pull car back into the garage and now "Driver assistance features unvailable message" is back. :(

My car does this in my garage sometimes, even before this release. I believe the lighting in some garages throws it off. Pretty sure if you leave the garage it will start working.

So just to be clear, you have HW2 installed in your car but didn't pay for AP1 or EAP or did you pay for AP1 before the HW update and this is what the AP1 experience looks like?
I have the AP HW2 hardware, did not pay for the assistance features, and the only new feature I have now is the early collision warning, and being able to see information in the dash about other cars. This is the most I've ever owned, so to me it is exciting. I understand to those who are on their 2nd or 3rd Tesla car with AP1 and shelled out the $6K extra for AP2 EAP, this AP2 stuff is currently ho-hum.

Reactions: ZeroDarkSilver
TACC reacted poorly in the following situation: Set to 30 MPH, the speed limit, on a two-lane road with no divider and little traffic. Going around a sharp curve, an oncoming car appears, also traveling at approximately the speed limit. TACC jams on the brakes, slowing almost to zero, and then resumes after the car passes. No cars behind me, so no harm done other than a little scare, but I could have been rear-ended by a closely following car.

Both cars were centered in their lanes, traveling at appropriate speed. If I had been controlling the speed I might reasonably have slowed slightly for that curve. But TACC acted like a frightened new, very young, or very old driver, in my opinion.

Performance otherwise was reasonable, though I noted a tendency to pointlessly accelerate to fill a newly emerged gap, even though cars ahead had slowed, rather than close the gap more smoothly. I would call this a New York taxi effect.

Good marks for this: Traveling in the center lane at 70. Car on my left going about 80 passes me and then cuts into my lane about two car lengths ahead of me. The Tesla did what I would have done: ignore the situation, because he's moving faster than me. My recently traded Audi A6 would have slowed drastically, reacting to the other vehicle's proximity, and ignoring its greater speed.

So, something lost and something gained.

Report on use of HW2 assistance features today (note I am a new AP user overall, never had AP1). Overall, I like what I got today. Yes yes yes, it's late. Yes yes yes, it's not everything. Whatever. It's nice to wake up to a car that has new and useful features. Looking forward to future updates. Thanks, Tesla!

1) TACC performs fairly well. When following traffic, slows to stops and resumes fairly smoothly. Had a number of overhead highway signs cause a brief braking event. Had one instance of loud multiple BEEP, I guess the sound of a collision warning, and a much harder brake - don't know why, there were no cars in front of me, in any lane. In each case, TACC resumed normal speed on it's own. When engaging TACC well below the detected speed limit, acceleration is a bit too fast. Also, when space in front clears, TACC seems to accelerate a bit too fast to the max, a number of times causing unnecessary braking. When someone cuts in front of you, seems to take a bit of time to detect/react. I tried different distance settings and sometimes it feels like I'm either too close or too far and couldn't get a comfortable setting. Not sure why. When approaching stopped/slow traffic with no lead car, seems like detection of stopped traffic is way too late - always need to brake.

2) Autosteer did okay. At times, it jumped around in the lane a bit - a little unnerving. I intervened once in a 15 minute session of stop-and-go traffic in light rain. A couple of times, it would not engage, saying it was not available on the current road (the same road I was just using it on). Waited for a few seconds, tried again on the same road, and then it engaged.

3) General comments - road lane markings jump around quite a bit. Even while stopped, the lane markings tend to move around. Cars displayed seem to jump around a bit as well, the display makes it look like cars are changing lanes when they aren't.

I have the AP HW2 hardware, did not pay for the assistance features, and the only new feature I have now is the early collision warning, and being able to see information in the dash about other cars. This is the most I've ever owned, so to me it is exciting. I understand to those who are on their 2nd or 3rd Tesla car with AP1 and shelled out the $6K extra for AP2 EAP, this AP2 stuff is currently ho-hum.

I didn't ask because I couldn't comprehend why you wouldn't put down cash for EAP, I asked because I didn't upgrade to EAP and still have auto pilot convenience features and wanted to know if you were in the same boat.

3) General comments - road lane markings jump around quite a bit. Even while stopped, the lane markings tend to move around. Cars displayed seem to jump around a bit as well, the display makes it look like cars are changing lanes when they aren't.

Same exact thing here...I call them "Dancing Lines" as they just dance from side to side, even when sitting at a light.

I have AP1 on my car and my husband's car has AP2. When driving his car today, I noticed it only shows cars in the same lane vs a 3-lane view. Do the 3 lanes show up with auto steer or will that be released in a later update?

Some things that were less refined than expected, even from this early version:

- no apparent detection of cars in adjacent lanes during TACC driving. I was mildly cut off once, car pulled in a couple of car lengths ahead when my follow was set to 7, and TACC didn't appear to detect it. Kept closing the gap and I had to brake.

- consistently in TACC when car ahead is visible on the dash and then slows to a stop (with my car slowing to match as expected), it then disappears from the dash and only the car in front of that shows up.

- same dancing lane markers as everyone else.

On the plus side, seems that the radar is seeing the car in front of the car directly ahead.

Last edited:
TACC reacted poorly in the following situation: Set to 30 MPH, the speed limit, on a two-lane road with no divider and little traffic. Going around a sharp curve, an oncoming car appears, also traveling at approximately the speed limit. TACC jams on the brakes, slowing almost to zero, and then resumes after the car passes. No cars behind me, so no harm done other than a little scare, but I could have been rear-ended by a closely following car.

Please do report to tesla and have them access your logs. Does sound dangerous. I have reported every single odd and dangerous behavior and they have been prompt to respond. Hopefully will help with the whole fleet learning.

Please do report to tesla and have them access your logs. Does sound dangerous. I have reported every single odd and dangerous behavior and they have been prompt to respond. Hopefully will help with the whole fleet learning.

It would be nice if they said what was the best way to report such things. Email to Tesla central? Call to service center?

How have you been reporting?

Some things that were less refined than expected, even from this early version:

- no apparent detection of cars in adjacent lanes during TACC driving. I was mildly cut off once, car pulled in a couple of car lengths ahead when my follow was set to 7, and TACC didn't appear to detect it. Kept closing the gap and I had to brake.

For the few weeks I have had it, this is what makes me most nervous. It will eventually stop but will also give you a heart attack.

- consistently in TACC when car ahead is visible on the dash and then slows to a stop (with my car slowing to match as expected), it then disappears from the dash and only the car in front of that shows up.

I have noticed this too. I think this is a UI only problem.

- same dancing lane markers as everyone else.

Oddly tesla replied saying the display shows what the software sees and they are not filtering the UI. I wonder if to with the three cameras .