Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish TACC would take into account speed of cars in adjacent lanes. A few times it tried to zip up to 45 while cars on either side were stuck at about 5. Thats a scary experience.
I got to try autosteer only briefly - I happened to be in the exit lane off a freeway. It happily followed a car into the off-ramp exit but still thought it was on the freeway! At the traffic light, the car in the front turned right and the tesla tried to zip up to freeway speeds until I pulled the reins. Can't wait for the clogged Monday evening commute to try out autosteer a little more.

At the traffic light, the car in the front turned right and the tesla tried to zip up to freeway speeds until I pulled the reins. Can't wait for the clogged Monday evening commute to try out autosteer a little more.

Tesla definitely needs to work on some sort of recognition of when cars come to a full stop, and then make a right turn (or left turn for that matter). In that circumstance, TACC should ask the driver to press the accelerator to proceed. The car currently does this when your left turn signal is on (happened to me last night) but it needs to also do this when it sees a car making a right turn after being at a stop.

Reactions: NerdUno
I agree with this... and more.

I have transmitted a 'report' to Tesla about my experience and suggestions. Someone is likely assigned to read these and decide how many = review for action.

I would really like to be informed of what's next and when. There seems to be no method other than Twitter from Elon to secure this information. Currently there are two statements out there, Elon's is "monthly" and we all know what that means or doesn't. Another person said three weeks a week ago with no specifics.

If I knew they were working on issue X, I would not want to push them on that issue and waste someone's time in reading my comments.

We are, in a fashion, all beta testers for his products and we pay a handsome sum to participate. In exchange we get a great car to drive. BUT I would not have paid this much for THIS car without the promised functions. So at least they can keep us posted on immediate future plans? Is this not a good idea?

So if someone is reading this from Tesla - No one expects precision in promises either in content or date, but it would be nice to know what's being worked on for the next update and a time frame for that. Also a list of 'corrections' or 'fixes' would be nice. Every beta I have done has those with every release.

So while I am at it:

No access to hard drive space??? Even my VOLT (2012) did that. A place to park music at least? I can deal with the no DVD, but streaming from a phone or the internet seems more trouble than it's worth. And speaking of that, why not have a direct connection? When I plugged my iPhone into one of my USB ports, it read the music WIRED and was more responsive than the Tesla's bluetooth streaming. Just an idea.

Tesla definitely needs to work on some sort of recognition of when cars come to a full stop, and then make a right turn (or left turn for that matter). In that circumstance, TACC should ask the driver to press the accelerator to proceed. The car currently does this when your left turn signal is on (happened to me last night) but it needs to also do this when it sees a car making a right turn after being at a stop.

Got TACC and Autosteer to work for the first time just now. I got the update over the weekend, but didn't get a chance to drive the car. Took it to work this morning and just got the "calibrating" message. Went out for lunch and things started working. At first I couldn't get anything to activate. TACC gave a "limited radar visibility" error and wouldn't engage. Autosteer just said "Autopilot features not available". After about a mile or so cars started showing up on the display in front of me and then everything started working.

TACC worked with no issues, although I am still a little nervous using it (just because it is new to me). It tracked the cars ahead of me and slowed down and sped up with no issues, even coming to complete stops at red lights (behind other cars).

I only got a very brief chance to use Autosteer from one exit to the next on the interstate. The road was straight so not really much of a test, but it worked fine. I might have some stop and go traffic on the way home today and will be able to give it more of a test. I usually use the HOV lane and skip the traffic, but will have to try it out today if it is moving slow enough.

I only got a very brief chance to use Autosteer from one exit to the next on the interstate. The road was straight so not really much of a test, but it worked fine. I might have some stop and go traffic on the way home today and will be able to give it more of a test. I usually use the HOV lane and skip the traffic, but will have to try it out today if it is moving slow enough.

Funny how getting this update has us wishing/hoping for slow enough traffic on the way home? :D

Drove about 20 miles on highway and city roads. Car still saying it's calibrating when trying to engage AP. Went for an errand some minutes ago and got the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable - If issue persists contact Tesla service" message... I guess I'm probably in the unlucky fews who needs to have their camera serviced... Too bad the Service Center is a 2h30 drive.

I've received that message twice on my MX. In each case, I checked and both TACC and Auto Steer were enabled. So I don't know what to make of that message.

I've considered that perhaps initially it's seeing a problem but once I get moving the cameras decide that conditions are OK after all.

I've received that message twice on my MX. In each case, I checked and both TACC and Auto Steer were enabled. So I don't know what to make of that message.

I've considered that perhaps initially it's seeing a problem but once I get moving the cameras decide that conditions are OK after all.

I also received the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" message.

I waited overnight and was able to enable Autosteer during my commute.It functioned correctly and once I went over 45 mph, it chimed for me to take over the steering wheel even though I had my hands on the steering wheel already. I think this is a good safety feature. I had my hands lightly on the wheel as I felt my way through my first Autosteer experience in heavy traffic. I imagine I'll trust it more as time goes on. I think it's prudent for Tesla to roll this out slowly to ensure safety, so I'm not too upset about the 45 mph limit.

Got HW2 yesterday. Drove about 40 continuous miles on beltway at 45 mph with autosteer. Fun but still not safe. Once car went into another lane almost hitting a car. Multiple times tried to exit highway instead of staying straight. I felt like car is equivalent to a 15 year old with a new permit; jerky, little confused, and without perfect judgement.

Got HW2 yesterday. Drove about 40 continuous miles on beltway at 45 mph with autosteer. Fun but still not safe. Once car went into another lane almost hitting a car. Multiple times tried to exit highway instead of staying straight. I felt like car is equivalent to a 15 year old with a new permit; jerky, little confused, and without perfect judgement.

This is exactly my experience!

It's hard to find a stretch on highway with traffic lower than 45mph to engage autosteer. I did drove around and find few occasions that I could get autosteer to engage. The first time, it took me to the exit that I was not intend to. The second time, on a curved road, it did not detect the car on the adjacent lane and almost ran into the car. The road condition is bad, wet, and lane marking was not great.

TACC worked okay. It does not observer traffic light, with that many camera on the car, it should detect traffic light!

I wish TACC would take into account speed of cars in adjacent lanes. A few times it tried to zip up to 45 while cars on either side were stuck at about 5. Thats a scary experience.
This, along with the immediate acceleration toward the target speed after activation regardless of forward traffic conditions, were the first (negative) things I noticed on the original AP hardware. One would think these are easy scenarios to handle, but apparently not just yet.

. The second time, on a curved road, it did not detect the car on the adjacent lane and almost ran into the car. The road condition is bad, wet, and lane marking was not great.

TACC worked okay. It does not observer traffic light, with that many camera on the car, it should detect traffic light!

I think people may have the wrong idea of what Autopilot is, or are expecting way to much out of it.

If the road condition is bad, and wet, and does not have good lane markings - why would someone be using Autopilot? That seems like a scenario where the human behind the wheel is 100% responsible for the driving. Tesla probably should not even let the car drive "itself" in that scenario, and should give a warning that "road conditions are not adequate for Autopilot - please take full control of the vehicle.".

Reactions: FredTMC
If the road condition is bad, and wet, and does not have good lane markings - why would someone be using Autopilot? That seems like a scenario where the human behind the wheel is 100% responsible for the driving. Tesla probably should not even let the car drive "itself" in that scenario, and should give a warning that "road conditions are not adequate for Autopilot - please take full control of the vehicle.".

I think it already does this and I agree! People need to be extremely patient with the system and as the instructions say many many times, they need over 100 Million Miles driven before they get out of "Beta" mode for AutoPilot and it will improve over many months this year.

I think it already does this and I agree! People need to be extremely patient with the system and as the instructions say many many times, they need over 100 Million Miles driven before they get out of "Beta" mode for AutoPilot and it will improve over many months this year.

My background is control engineering ... my judgement based on what I experienced is that the current code/control algorithm is sophomoric at the best. Tesla has many months or years to make it reliable enough for ppl to use.

• Funny
Reactions: HumanGenome