Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot, FW 7.0, and MX decisions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the recent Mobileye conf call, I've become more focused on making sure my car can be upgraded to a full 8 camera system if necessary. While AP wasn't the original focus of my purchase decision, given how rapidly we are tipping in the direction of autonomous driving, I really want to have all the necessary hardware. I think I would be bummed otherwise. Willing to delay my order if necessary.

Since the recent Mobileye conf call, I've become more focused on making sure my car can be upgraded to a full 8 camera system if necessary. While AP wasn't the original focus of my purchase decision, given how rapidly we are tipping in the direction of autonomous driving, I really want to have all the necessary hardware. I think I would be bummed otherwise. Willing to delay my order if necessary.

Even if AP wasn't my original focus, I wouldn't buy a new Tesla without the significant hardware change of this kind planned in under one year. I would rather enjoy a CPO Model S.

Before I place my MX order, I will either have a confirmation that the new camera system will be on the car or could be added later.

Even if AP wasn't my original focus, I wouldn't buy a new Tesla without the significant hardware change of this kind planned in under one year. I would rather enjoy a CPO Model S.

Before I place my MX order, I will either have a confirmation that the new camera system will be on the car or could be added later.

Rumored 8 camera/5MPU setup is so different than current AP that it would require Tesla to maintain and validate two separate systems. Considering huge investment into current AP 1.x (with great results) I don't think Tesla would dump it unless there was a fundamental shortcoming.

I think Tesla would stay with current tech and perfect it. The only change in the future maybe rear view camera which would greatly increase safety of line change.

Rumored 8 camera/5MPU setup is so different than current AP that it would require Tesla to maintain and validate two separate systems. Considering huge investment into current AP 1.x (with great results) I don't think Tesla would dump it unless there was a fundamental shortcoming.

I think Tesla would stay with current tech and perfect it. The only change in the future maybe rear view camera which would greatly increase safety of line change.

I agree that Tesla won't necessarily need to move forward with this exact system. As we discussed upthread, they're already layering their own system on top of it, and Mobileye may be a transitional help while they develop everything in-house. However, I would argue that the current sensor suite is not ideal for full autonomous driving, or even city Autopilot.

Only their own development will tell them what other sensors/cameras they'll need to make this possible.

I agree that Tesla won't necessarily need to move forward with this exact system. As we discussed upthread, they're already layering their own system on top of it, and Mobileye may be a transitional help while they develop everything in-house. However, I would argue that the current sensor suite is not ideal for full autonomous driving, or even city Autopilot.

Only their own development will tell them what other sensors/cameras they'll need to make this possible.

I agree but wouldn't hold my breath (or order) for a significant change. They're going to run with this setup for a while, e g imho I don't expect Model X produced in 2015-16 will have anything different.

Elon mentioned in an interview that people ask him when to buy a Tesla. His answer is now. There will always be new things coming out. If you wait until there is no more innovation, you'll never buy one.

I agree. Tesla needs side camera for parking and rear for line changing.

I also thought that Tesla will move AP in-house especially since NVIDIA CEO owns three Teslas (Including founders X). However, Mobileye offering is quite complete and surely cuts on development time which is advantageous. For now, I think it makes a lot of sense for Tesla to focus on high level AI/fleet learning and leave machine vision to 3rd party.

Hmm, what if the new system is a superset of the old?

I had the pleasure of driving a 7.0 Model S Auto Pilot this morning. It was impressive. Unlike some videos, I chose to lightly hold the steering wheel as the Model S held the road through the straight aways and curves. It was flawlessly moving with no effort from me. A press of the turn signal, and it changed lanes smoothly and safely. It was raining, which is usually "high-stress" driving. Rain causes more focus, but the Tesla was totally in control. It was a more relaxing drive than I normally experience. At the end, pulled up beside two other Model S's parked by the curb and wall. The Representative had me pull up beside the front car, the "P" emblem id'd the space and I released the brake, pressed the button on the display, and into the space the Tesla went flawlessly. The steering wheel spun, the brakes applied, the wheel spun again and it shifted forward. It was parked in a few seconds.

I wish I had this on my last 700 mile drive. It would be much more relaxing, knowing that if my focus lapsed, the car "had my back". Not needed for round the town, but certainly worth engaging on road trips.