Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Hardware 2 - I Never See the Blue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if I'm alone. I never see the 'Blue Car' meaning that my car is steering based on the car in front of me. I originally thought perhaps it was just part of the slow rollout of the HW2 Auto Steer - but I saw a Youtube video of a HW2 Model S that was using the lead car and showing the Blue Car icon.

Are others seeing the Blue Car lead icon?

Attachments

• IMG_8409.jpg
    IMG_8409.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
When you have "missile lock" using TACC, the car on which you have the missile lock is normally white in the display, not blue--however, if that car slows to a stop, at very low speeds it turns blue on the display (I drive AP1, not sure if this is also the case for AP2).

I thought that actually (in both HW revisions now since 17.9.3) the blue colour indicates the 'primary' lock source...

Normally the sides of the road or the lane lines are the primary lock - and we've all seen them in blue. However, if the lane lines disappear (say at an intersection), the car in front then takes over and becomes the primary lock, and becomes blue.

I think the basic logic was "follow the leader" when there's no clear road markings. I believe that since 17.9.3, HW2 also exhibits some of this behaviour; though the general principles behind AP2 are very different.