Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot improvement in "MarioKart Rainbow Road" firmware update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, can you post a Street View image from where you think the car is reading the 45 mph sign? I don't know exactly where it's happening, but just picking an image from that area, the frontage roads are 45 mph. More likely to be reading the speed limit from this area.
speed.png

But regardless, roadways this complex don't last for long, so I'd expect this issue to only be a problem for a few minutes at most.

On this road autopilot is no longer useable, which for me is a 100% failure (of a feature that previously worked). Tesla needs to create a system for reporting, investigating and fixing issues like these.

Seems like a fair point that's a glitch from an artifact in that particular stretch of road. What was their response when you emailed [email protected] ?

The best for a workaround until they fix that is to just step on the accelerator until it reads a correct speed limit sign. Or just use TACC.

• Helpful
Reactions: DCGOO
I had the AP drop down to 25 mph for a school zone. School zones are only when children are present. 25 mph 7/24 is just plane stupid. We are responsible for our driving, not Tesla, enough of the AP nanny.

Yeah! We should be able to plow through that school zone at 65mph on Autopilot!

It is insane that Tesla would make us manually override the AP nanny speed decrease in school zones -- by just pressing the accel a few mms!

Stupid nanny Elon!

Last edited:
OK, so the area for which you posted the instrument cluster shot looks like this on the map:
View attachment 173167

So there are something like 13 separate roads that are all next to each other in this area. Are all roads in Florida like this, or are you just cherry-picking this one example?

I have seen the GPS think I was on a frontage road before when I was actually on the highway, but I wouldn't expect that to last for very long. Yes, it's an area for improvement, but it hardly seems like an autopilot showstopper. Just my opinion.

none of these are "show stoppers" but all of them are examples where Tesla has "broken" autopilot to "fix" something that was not a problem. I use autopilot everyday and it is amazing in what it can do. It does not need to be restricted in any way in my opinion. The methodology for enforcing the restrictions is flawed and can not corrected with the technology installed in this version of the MS. I have supplied the example that for me is the most annoying. The car mis identifies the express lanes on interstate 595 as a restricted road. There are other examples out there.

I want autopilot to be better. I want these issues fixed. Tesla needs to create a system where these obvious errors can be reported and fixed.

Again, happy that you are happy.

Reactions: brianman
Tesla needs to create a system where these obvious errors can be reported and fixed.

But they will address concerns that are emailed to them.

Back in November during 7.0 I emailed them about a similar problem and they fixed it in 7.1. I wrote them to tell them:

"It isn't a show stopper, but autopilot should have the ability to sense that the road speed limit has changed, but it doesn't decrease the set speed to the new lower speed limit. Can you add this functionality so that I don't have to be bothered to manually decrease the set speed when driving through a road that decreases the speed limit? You will save me that effort of having to left my left arm to notch the lever down a few mph. I think a good trade off will be that if I need to override the lowered set speed, I can simply press on the accel instead to override the auto lowering of the set speed. Thanks. "

And they addressed my concern by adding this additional functionality. ! :)

Mine won't work with 4, 5, or 6 quick pulls. I've tried every combination that I can think of.
The pulls must be in rapid succession. Don't pause between the pulls.

Hopefully this Easter Egg won't cause a problem for Tesla Motors with SC visits for broken switches. IMHO, we are conducting reliability testing for possible Model 3 parts with some entertaining compensation.

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd add a data point about the update and speed limit signs. After the rainbow road update, my car has started reading the private speed limit signs in our neighborhood. They're quite non-standard in layout and used to be ignored:

IMG_20160423_094827808.jpg

At this point the system consistently misreads these signs as 5 mph for some reason (the 2 is written funny?), but it's further confirmation that things continue to evolve.

-Ben

PS. A neighborhood is clearly not a place for autopilot, so there's no impact on my autopilot use, but the "over the speed limit" chime does go off every time I pass one of these signs, and my kids announce that I need to slow down. They find it hilarious. Every single time... :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
One additional piece of anecdotal information...
The section of I-80 between the state line and Truckee has always been difficult for autopilot since it has narrow, winding lanes with a concrete center divider very close to the inner lane. I drove it today with the latest autopilot and it really performed very well by keeping properly centered in the lane even on steep curves and grades... much better than in the past. So, I think it is improving.

Reactions: bhzmark
One additional piece of anecdotal information...
The section of I-80 between the state line and Truckee has always been difficult for autopilot since it has narrow, winding lanes with a concrete center divider very close to the inner lane. I drove it today with the latest autopilot and it really performed very well by keeping properly centered in the lane even on steep curves and grades... much better than in the past. So, I think it is improving.

You're a more courageous driver than I. That section of 80 is beautiful but the narrow parts always have me on edge, mainly because of how bad some of the other drivers are.

You're a more courageous driver than I. That section of 80 is beautiful but the narrow parts always have me on edge, mainly because of how bad some of the other drivers are.
I don't usually use autopilot on that stretch because it is so "technical" but I thought I'd try it today.
The one time I had to take over was when some yahoo towing a big RV trailer (from Elkhart, Indiana... birthplace of travel trailers) drifted into my lane.

Reactions: newtman