Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I feel upset about not having autopilot or having to pay for ludicrous mode upgrade, I just accelerate out of a corner or launch onto an onramp. A little dose of adrenaline sets the mind at ease. ;)
Amen to that! Yesterday a couple kids next to me at a left turn onto a freeway onramp thought they'd try to speed by me on the inside lane to the onramp. It was so cool to see their faces as we silently blew past them. The car's super low CG is just amazing.

My experience with the i3 is it seems to align itself with the cars in front/behind (mostly in front). If they are close to the curb, the i3 will end up close to the curb. If they are far away, so will the i3. It will happily curb itself trying to match.

That's probably what it does. It doesn't seem to take into account the curb or anything on the side. Mine has run itself into snowbanks and almost curbed itself. The only useful part is it measuring spots as you go by to see if you would fit in.

re: Lane Departure warning
Driving around seattle, it goes off constantly. The construction lines, the old lines, the cracks in the pavement, the changes in pavement texture,
the sunset causing tar lines to reflect. I've actually been really curious about how the car is going to handle things when it's left to make the decisions itself.
+1

They were fewer false positives in California, but definitely some still, during my TMC Connect travels this year.

re: Lane Departure warning

+1

They were fewer false positives in California, but definitely some still, during my TMC Connect travels this year.

I drive in Seattle all day long. I find very few false positives. I mainly drive on I5, but my experience with 405 has been pretty good too. I imagine that if I just stick to any lane except the far right (which has exit only's anyways) I will be fine.

Where do you seem to have troubles?

I drive in Seattle all day long. I find very few false positives. I mainly drive on I5, but my experience with 405 has been pretty good too. I imagine that if I just stick to any lane except the far right (which has exit only's anyways) I will be fine.

Where do you seem to have troubles?

Please see the video I made and posted upthread.

Personally I don't have many issues on true highways. It's the more rural roads, like the ones in the video that I get a lot of false positives on.

Based on aggregation of data from various sources, I'm doing one final revison to my estimate for autopilot lane keeping release and shooting for mid to late September. After which point there really is just no excuse left for not releasing it.

Unfortunately this is causing me to re-plan and cancel a lot of my planned summer drives (which many were planned to try out autopilot) and spend more time flying and in ICE rentals... which all needs to be booked sooner rather than later. So no sitting around hoping to have AP for an upcoming trip anymore.

Not happy.

Based on aggregation of data from various sources, I'm doing one final revison to my estimate for autopilot lane keeping release and shooting for mid to late September. After which point there really is just no excuse left for not releasing it.

Unfortunately this is causing me to re-plan and cancel a lot of my planned summer drives (which many were planned to try out autopilot) and spend more time flying and in ICE rentals... which all needs to be booked sooner rather than later. So no sitting around hoping to have AP for an upcoming trip anymore.

Not happy.

I don't get it. How is not having autopilot preventing you from driving the car (which you'd have to do even if you had autopilot)?

Not happy.

You sort of had me until ^^ this. How ridiculous. Do you have some physical disability that you haven't told us about?

Okay I am not sure if I should share this. I received a video from a high level source at Tesla Motors about their progress so far with the Autopilot system. Everyone is right. They need more sensors! Apparently they have decided to augment the radar and sonar sensors of the car with a sophisticated Digital Organic Gadget (DOG) specially developed and trained my Tesla engineers to handle those tricky situations where you can either stay, go, or just sit.

@wk057, your wait is finally over. As you can see on the video, Tesla's accelerated Autopilot DOG development program is almost ready for release. They know how badly you and everyone else needs this capability to do your summer travel so your Autopilot DOG will be delivered to you shortly. Having learned from the Premium Center Console debacle with mismatching trim (@AmpedRelator is still in therapy recovering...), Tesla has gone to great lengths to ensure their Autopilot DOGs will match the interior trim color of your car!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I am not sure if I should share this. I received a video from a high level source at Tesla Motors about their progress so far with the Autopilot system. Everyone is right. They need more sensors! Apparently they have decided to augment the radar and sonar sensors of the car with a sophisticated Digital Organic Gadget (DOG) specially developed and trained my Tesla engineers to handle those tricky situations where you can either stay, go, or just sit.

@WK057, your wait is finally over. As you can see on the video, Tesla's accelerated Autopilot DOG development program is almost ready for release. They know how badly you and everyone else needs this capability to do your summer travel so your Autopilot DOG will be delivered to you shortly. Having learned from the Premium Center Console debacle with mismatching trim (@AmpedRelator is still in therapy recovering...), Tesla has gone to great lengths to ensure their Autopilot DOGs will match the interior trim color of your car!

Awesome!

I don't get it. How is not having autopilot preventing you from driving the car (which you'd have to do even if you had autopilot)?

You sort of had me until ^^ this. How ridiculous. Do you have some physical disability that you haven't told us about?

I do not find driving my S on long trips to be physically taxing. The effort required to steer the car is minimal. Modern power steering is quite good. Autopilot might be nice, but it is hardly required for long trips. The basic S is a very relaxing ride.

As clearly stated, I planned these specific long trips with autopilot in mind. They're trips I normally wouldn't drive in the first place, but I decided it would be worth it with autopilot in mind. I had this in mind when I bought the car, and as stated, was a key factor in the decision to upgrade. I hate airports, but multi-day drives burn me out more. Autopilot was to help mitigate that and make these multi-day drives more enjoyable vs the airport.

Also, as stated up thread, driving any vehicle long distances (full days of driving) is taxing. I drive my vehicles a combined ~30k+ miles per year as it is. I was planning on *adding* about 6-7k or so to that based on autopilot lane keeping in lieu of flying/renting cars.

I personally don't see how reverting plans specifically related to delivery of autopilot (or lack thereof) is in any way "ridiculous." I looked at my calendar, saw the travel coming up (annual reminder to book flights around this time), saw no autopilot lane keeping in my car when I drove it today, booked flights and rentals as normal, and revised my calendar back to how it was pre-autopilot-announcement (no more multi-day blocks of driving this summer). How is that ridiculous?

Aside from it being ridiculous that it's been 9 months since the autopilot announcement and we still don't have even limited use of it yet, I don't understand the above comments.