Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 3 is critical to Tesla's future, and yes that will get affected negatively by $2 gas.

What year were you born? If you've lived long enough you know about peaks and valleys when it comes to the price of oil (or any commodity, or the stock market itself). The best thing for Tesla is that gas is in a valley now, while they are pumping out cars as fast as they can build them and the Model 3 is a few years away. If you think these gas prices are here to say, you are very naive.

In BC we're paying $1.35 a litre which works out to over $5 a gallon:

Lower gas prices across North America, except for BC - NEWS 1130

$35,000 has never been the price of a mass market car. The most expensive Chevrolet sedan starts at $27k (that's excluding trucks, Corvettes, and Volts, none of which are "mass market").

$35k buys you an entry level Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, etc.

I certainly agree, though, that few Model 3s will actually go out at $35k... and I'm sure relatively few BMW 3-series (lowest price $32k) go out for the base price either.

The following article indicates the Model 3 is likely to wind up selling, with options, etc., for quite a bit more than $35,000:

Tesla Gigaom

At the end of the day, the original vision of the Model 3 as ‘the people’s’ electric car might have to be altered slightly. The expected price of the car — which for a long time was projected to be $30,000 or less — has creeped up to $35,000 and some analysts predict it will land somewhere between $35,000 and $40,000. But beyond that, analysts expect the average transaction price (with the added features) to be closer to $60,000, and in that way, it wouldn’t necessarily be a mass market car; more of a luxury mid-range car.

Exactly!

What year were you born? If you've lived long enough you know about peaks and valleys when it comes to the price of oil (or any commodity, or the stock market itself). The best thing for Tesla is that gas is in a valley now, while they are pumping out cars as fast as they can build them and the Model 3 is a few years away. If you think these gas prices are here to say, you are very naive.

In BC we're paying $1.35 a litre which works out to over $5 a gallon:

Lower gas prices across North America, except for BC - NEWS 1130

But people do make stupid purchase decisions based on the immediate gas price.
Sales of SUVs, Light Trucks Soar on Low Gas Prices - DailyFinance

Do I subscribe to that? No! I think gas prices will rise long term.
The middle east is still a mess, pollution is a real concern, china and india are going to need loads of crude and fracking isn't exactly clean.

But as a balancing force to logic, you have the damned politicians,
1. Federal Highway Bill Extends User Fee to Electric Vehicles | Plug In Sites EV Charging Stations
2. Biodiesel gets a boost from 36 US Senators

I think they should tax gasoline more.

Last edited:
Its more likely to expand the market than to hurt Tesla. If GM's EV really has that range it will cause a lot of people who never thought about EVs before to start considering them. When they do, a significant portion of those buyers will prefer Tesla.

I'm with you up to the last part about preferring Tesla. I actually agree now that you mention it - about expanding the market being a possible outcome. I say this because so many people still ask me "what kind of car is that??". I always stress its a NEW AMERICAN CAR COMPANY called Tesla Motors, but most seem to give me a look like "sure....". So, while now that you point it out - a BEV with the familiar GM logo that goes 200 miles on a charge may well expand the market. But I'm sorry I think many will, out of familiarity, prefer a GM. Its still going to be some time before Tesla has the trust GM and Ford have in the country. As sick as it makes me to say it. Just my feeling anyway. Update: ok you said a "significant number", not all. So maybe I agree after all. Nevermind.

I'm with you up to the last part about preferring Tesla. I actually agree now that you mention it - about expanding the market being a possible outcome. I say this because so many people still ask me "what kind of car is that??". I always stress its a NEW AMERICAN CAR COMPANY called Tesla Motors, but most seem to give me a look like "sure....". So, while now that you point it out - a BEV with the familiar GM logo that goes 200 miles on a charge may well expand the market. But I'm sorry I think many will, out of familiarity, prefer a GM. Its still going to be some time before Tesla has the trust GM and Ford have in the country. As sick as it makes me to say it. Just my feeling anyway.

It doesn't really matter because there is plenty of room for everyone. If GM makes a good electric car and doesn't crush them (not that I really trust them to), then it's also good for Tesla. The goal is to replace ICE with EV. Tesla can't do it alone.

Topic steering: (Though without autopilot! ;-) )

Maybe Elon wants to announce the roll out of AP at the Earnings call on Aug 5th. This will be designed to offset the announcement of the record losses (from building G.F. and the upgrades @ Fremont) It's also right in the middle of DEFCON in Vegas where they will be announcing the secret "hack" of the Model S. Hmm, Interesting...

Your damages under the MVPA is capped at $2,500. It happens to also be the current price of the Autopilot convenience feature package. I actually suspect anyone going after Tesla will get much less than this because this package includes 4 features. Half of which has already been delivered.

• Traffic-aware cruise control
  • Lane keeping with automatic steering
  • Self-parking
  • Automatic high/low beam headlights

I'm not sure the lemon law situation will work. Most of these laws only cover issues that substantially impair the use, value or safety of the car. I don't think auto steering not being delivered falls into that classification. I'm skeptical of the ash tray story in Germany. It sure makes a good story but I have a hard time believing it.
I think someone else already linked it, but in case you missed it : Rescission of a car sales contract due to a lack of ashtray

I also don't understand how you think the lack of Autopilot does not substantially impair the use, if people brought it with the ability to be able to use Autopilot in mind. Such a feature would allow you to do other tasks while driving and if it's just some business calls without having to focus on the driving.

92 since you had to post! Sheesh ;)

What have I done? :crying:

whid.gif

Please know that I do appreciate your paying those absurd high taxes, while dealing with wildfires, drought, illegal immigrants, poor social structure, high crime rates, high deficits, clogged up freeways, and occasional earthquakes. We won't agree to see CA the same way because I actually moved out of CA many years ago for the very reasons I quote. Now, Arizona on the other hand is quite awesome. And I'd rather not grow up, I love the way I am.

But hey, lets agree on something we share. Our love for labradors/golden retrs! Truce?

No, first you insult the state over some stupid logic that isn't even true. Then you're truce is to further insult the state and then add me into it? Dude... What is wrong with you? Without picking apart your absurd list of reasons, most of which are outright fallacies, do you really feel it's necessary to post such things?

I have no idea why both of these posts are allowed considering some of the issues I have had in the past getting my hand slapped for far less.

You are way off base and it's totally ridiculous that you're even allowed to post such things to begin with.

Jeff

I was just poking fun at the whole situation. I'm not getting in the middle of it, other than to say that I have a yellow lab too!

I find no humor in it. This isn't supposed to be a political forum but with comments like that being allowed to be put forth then maybe I should be able to say what I think about DC? Nope, I'd probably get into hot water. I think I'm as upset about how I was treated in another thread over what I posted yet, this crap from that guy apparently is okay. I'd just like to know how the double standard works around here.

Jeff

I find no humor in it. This isn't supposed to be a political forum but with comments like that being allowed to be put forth then maybe I should be able to say what I think about DC? Nope, I'd probably get into hot water. I think I'm as upset about how I was treated in another thread over what I posted yet, this crap from that guy apparently is okay. I'd just like to know how the double standard works around here.

Jeff

His post was removed, and we got this mod note:

mod note: this thread seems to have gone wildly off topic.

Also, please try to not criticize other members or where they choose to live.

I'm on your side, Jeff, but it's time to calm down.