Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot nag "Apply light force to steering wheel"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help please! I'm a bit frustrated with my autopilot. (Model 3, version 2019.8.5) Despite holding the wheel, I frequently get the nag "Apply light force to steering wheel." I move my hands to another location on the wheel and try holding lighter... the alert flashes again... so I try harder... alert flashes again then sometimes goes away. One trip it told me it was discontinuing Autopilot for the remainder of my drive for not following the directions! What am I doing wrong? Is it me... or should I bring it in for service?

Help please! I'm a bit frustrated with my autopilot. (Model 3, version 2019.8.5) Despite holding the wheel, I frequently get the nag "Apply light force to steering wheel." I move my hands to another location on the wheel and try holding lighter... the alert flashes again... so I try harder... alert flashes again then sometimes goes away. One trip it told me it was discontinuing Autopilot for the remainder of my drive for not following the directions! What am I doing wrong? Is it me... or should I bring it in for service?

It detects torque (rotational force), not grip strength. If you hold the wheel with only one hand, that will likely register.

Reactions: cfichuck
Mongo, thanks for the suggestion, far better than the next guy who told me to "Google it." Where do you typically hold your 1 hand. At the bottom?
Doesn't really matter. I typically hold on to the left side of the wheel, providing just enough resistance to turning. A lot of people put their hand on the bottom of the wheel.

If you keep both hands on the wheel and you get the message, just turn the wheel slightly both ways. You’ll get the feel without disengaging autopilot after awhile. Yes, it does seem like only one hand on the wheel keeps the message from popping up as frequently. Note: I like to keep my arms resting on my legs with both hands at the bottom of the wheel with a loose grip. The turning both ways works there, too. I only do that when I am on a highway with almost no traffic around me.

...force...

It's not force, it's torque or the rotation.

Typically, I hook my fingers on the steering wheel bar while letting my whole arm hang down creating a constant counter-torque. I could rest my elbow on the armrest at the center or side door while doing that. I can switch arm too.

That way, I can feel the torque from the system and know instantly whether it is doing its job or not and do a correction seamlessly.

Last edited:
Do you think one hand at the bottom of the wheel will let you quickly regain control if things go wrong?

Typically, I let my arm hang down from hooking my fingers to the steering wheel bar as above but my fingers can change its position by hooking to any part of the steering wheel including slightly offsetting center at the bottom too. As long as I can create a CONSTANT counter-torque, I can monitor the system and make a correction instantly as needed. It's not just quick, it's continuous operation and seamlessly.

Last edited:
While I fully understand the reasoning and how to provide resistance, or rotational torque. There are some stretches of highway I'm on a lot that are straight as an arrow. Man it gets annoying then...

The car is dead in the center of the lane, traveling a completely straight road, yet I have to jiggle or slightly turn the wheel every so often, which is counter-intuitive to the direction you going.

I use one hand with a normal grip on the bottom half of the wheel. It's enough to counter a stupid AP move (which you can feel coming) and gives a decent range of wheel motion. I prefer the lower position for mountain driving with two hands as well, so it's familiar. The only problem would be if the car lost traction for some reason and I wanted to center the wheel. That would be much easier with two hands in a traditional position. Which is why I would move to a normal 9 and 3 position if the road looked challenging.

Reactions: enolam