Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot not available/ auto headlights won’t turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard reboot as I understand it is that you park the car and shut it down using the menu and you have just sit in it for at least 2mins...something about your seat sensor needs to know your are there....so make sure you are comfortable... then awaken by hitting the brake.

Im not sure if the double scroll wheel press or “soft” reboot does anything differently with or without the brake. In fact I think that reset can even be done while moving, if for some reason you had to.

Reactions: jsmay311
I'm grateful to find this thread and know I'm not alone with this issue, but troubled that the fix appears to be replacing a computer ... at a minimum.
The exact issues described (EAP, traffic awareness/speed limit display, auto headlight, auto wiper - all not functioning) started happening to me last weekend, and continue. I cleaned all sensors/cameras. Tried multiple reboots by scroll wheels and turning off the car and sitting quietly within for several minutes (kind of Zen).
I've called customer service, they tried to remotely assist without luck, and they've "escalated" the problem (5 days ago). Based on this thread, I think I need to contact local service and schedule an appointment.

I'm seeing one symptom I haven't seen described in this thread yet. When I exceed 50 mph, a yellow 50mph icon pops up and then disappears. I do not have speed limited and it does not limit my speed. I expect it is connected to this issue, but I'm not sure how (maybe loss of speed limit display?).
Anyone else have this 50mph icon symptom? Any thoughts on how it may be connected?

YMMV...
I managed to get my autopilot to work again by doing the following sequence.
1. Park
2. Open the door
3. Power off
4. Close the door
5. Supercharge for 20 or so minutes.

I found if I powered off and open the door to get out the car powered back up.

Good Luck

Are the recent posted issues involved with Sentry mode turned on and maybe causing problem with AP/headlights on/wipers? If so, turning off Sentry mode from Safety Screen and parking car, shutting off, and then coming back to drive cleared our problem. Turned the Sentry mode setting back on and now using AP and Sentry just fine now. Was a quick fix.

Are the recent posted issues involved with Sentry mode turned on and maybe causing problem with AP/headlights on/wipers? If so, turning off Sentry mode from Safety Screen and parking car, shutting off, and then coming back to drive cleared our problem. Turned the Sentry mode setting back on and now using AP and Sentry just fine now. Was a quick fix.
I’m kinda blown away by this. I’ve had my car since August, and AP/FSD since March. To date, I haven’t had any issues with AP (besides the quirks) or the headlights. Today, symptoms such as original post. Called Tesla and they told me this cropped up recently but should be fixed in the “next” firmware. What I find troubling is there have been many fw releases since the original post, and this problem just now affects me on 20.2.1. Tech told me short term fix is the Sentry settings:

- Be sure exclude home I’d checked
- Turn Sentry off
- Remove any USB drives
- Let vehicle sleep

I don’t get it though. TeslaCam and Sentry weren’t released when original post was made

Last edited:
My uneducated guess would be if Sentry-related that after so many hours of use the camera recording gets in a weird state that has affected the other features. Only thing that is making sense to me because it hasn't happened to everyone on a certain software version (although if it's a bug suppose it could be carried forward to future versions and not all of us get the same versions). From what I recall reading on the threads related to these issues, it started getting mentioned on the Model 3 forum first (and we did get TeslaCam/Sentry mode first) but has populated more recently to the Model S/X forum where even non-AP2 hardware cars with no USB TeslaCam availability (like my husband's MS) found themselves with the issue.

At least if you read the threads on here you should know a simple resetting of Sentry Mode off and on on your center display screen and giving it a bit of time to "take" has resolved the AP and other issues for drivers. AP has been fine on my husband's car since.

I have a 2020 M3LRDM and have started having the identical issue (Loss of TACC/FSD, loss of indicator in screen, headlights stuck on even in Auto) and it seems to be prevalent when the car gets hot mostly. Also, sentry mode quits working during this time. I've just set an appt with the service center but it seems to have started after the last update so unsure if its a software issue or actual mechanical failure somewhere.