Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot now $3k. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiving the doc fee is a standard thing they are doing for the Q3 push. The financing comes from Alliant credit union here in Chicago so not a Tesla thing at all. They assume all the credit risk and so on... Tesla is just pushing hard to sell cars which they should be doing.

That is actually not true. The 2 year lease the person I quoted received is a Tesla Direct Lease from the Tesla Finance department which is funded by a loan from Deutsche Bank.

Tesla (TSLA) announced that it secured up to $300 million in loans for its direct lease program

Thus, if it is true that they are not properly vetting buyers that is a really, really bad sign.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
That is actually not true. The 2 year lease the person I quoted received is a Tesla Direct Lease from the Tesla Finance department which is funded by a loan from Deutsche Bank.

Tesla (TSLA) announced that it secured up to $300 million in loans for its direct lease program

Thus, if it is true that they are not properly vetting buyers that is a really, really bad sign.

This is true, I was referring to the financing option. The lease program is still theirs.

Well, the car is at the SC. It came early. It's beautiful, I've looked at it, it has no new hardware that can be seen. I haven't setup my delivery date yet, I'm going to wait until next week, see what the Firmware 8.0/8.1 update brings, and get a look at the next batch of cars coming from the factory, before I decide to accept or cancel and reorder.

If AP 2.0 is what it will take to make you happy, then cancel, eat the loss of deposit, and just wait for AP 2.0 to be officially released to order your car. Just realize that it could be a quick wait, or it could be a long one and that plenty of people have been extremely happy with their Tesla's without 2.0 hardware.

Mine is a 2 year lease. The person I having been talking and emailing to is a owner advisor.
The weird thing is NO ONE ever asked me anything about my financial, credit, ssn, income etc. So I never met or talked with Tesla finance person....

That is actually very worrisome. I would love to know if anyone else who did the two year lease also got the same pass. If that was a regular thing and not just a one off by a careless salesperson that would be a red flag indicator, even with the 3rd quarter push.

• Love
Reactions: Zybd1201
That is actually very worrisome. I would love to know if anyone else who did the two year lease also got the same pass. If that was a regular thing and not just a one off by a careless salesperson that would be a red flag indicator, even with the 3rd quarter push.

I really don't know... I have never experienced this before.
Any car dealership would ask me to fill out an application first. But the guy did see I drove a modified BMW x5 and knew I had another lexus. Maybe that's why? I dont know...

If AP 2.0 is what it will take to make you happy, then cancel, eat the loss of deposit, and just wait for AP 2.0 to be officially released to order your car. Just realize that it could be a quick wait, or it could be a long one and that plenty of people have been extremely happy with their Tesla's without 2.0 hardware.

It's not really that I had to have AP 2.0, if it doesn't come out for 2 months or more, I'm fine with that, but if I pickup the car and the hardware starts appearing the next week, then not so much... I guess the best way to relate is how happy would you be if you bought an iPhone 6 and the next day they started selling the iPhone 7, having never announce they were going to do so...

All that being said, I waited until today, more MX were delivered to the SC, some that were built this week, they have the same visible hardware that mine does. Based on that, I'm taking delivery of the car tomorrow

• Informative
Reactions: number12
It's not really that I had to have AP 2.0, if it doesn't come out for 2 months or more, I'm fine with that, but if I pickup the car and the hardware starts appearing the next week, then not so much... I guess the best way to relate is how happy would you be if you bought an iPhone 6 and the next day they started selling the iPhone 7, having never announce they were going to do so...

All that being said, I waited until today, more MX were delivered to the SC, some that were built this week, they have the same visible hardware that mine does. Based on that, I'm taking delivery of the car tomorrow

Cool. I'm sure you will be very happy with your car! Everyone I personally know who bought a Tesla LOVES the car. My aunt was very reluctant to give up the X she temporarily took possession of while my cousin was on an extended overseas trip. :D

Why is autopilot $3K?

Probably came up on the roulette wheel? Blind dart game? Dart hit the $3k post-it-note? I don't know.....

The correct answer, “Charge what the market will bear.” :cool:

upload_2016-9-24_12-44-32.png