Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot now $3k. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As discovered by @Stasla , enabling Autopilot on the Model S configuration page is now $3,000 ($3,500 after delivery).

This appears to have changed after the announcement today.

Interestingly, if I edit my pending order (going to production on 8/27), the Autopilot option is still only $2,500.

I'm going to press my sales advisor for an answer on this. I'm concerned that the waived destination fee and 2 year lease were a way to clear out old AP 1.0 hardware.

I'm guessing the increased cost is related to the additional cameras/sensors, etc. required for AP2.0 hardware. But that's just my guess. It will be interesting to hear what your sales adviser says - please let us know - but if is related to new hardware I doubt they will tell you that since it would lead to a lot of cancelled orders. Furthermore, I doubt the sales people are even told. They're usually the last to know these types of things which makes sense since information like that to the numerous sales staff would lead to leaks.

Reactions: mspohr
I'm guessing the increased cost is related to the additional cameras/sensors, etc. required for AP2.0 hardware. But that's just my guess. It will be interesting to hear what your sales adviser says - please let us know - but if is related to new hardware I doubt they will tell you that since it would lead to a lot of cancelled orders. Furthermore, I doubt the sales people are even told. They're usually the last to know these types of things which makes sense since information like that to the numerous sales staff would lead to leaks.

Here's the rub - if they can't explain the price change I'll just cancel my order and cool my jets for a while until things clear up.

I feel for Tesla and the sales advisors in this situation. But I'm about to drop 80k on a car and I'm not going to miss out on major changes by a week or two.

• Funny
Reactions: dehydratedH2O
Here's the rub - if they can't explain the price change I'll just cancel my order and cool my jets for a while until things clear up.

I feel for Tesla and the sales advisors in this situation. But I'm about to drop 80k on a car and I'm not going to miss out on major changes by a week or two.
Can't you push the delivery in the future? I think this is how others have worked around this problem.

Or I assume.. Is the delivery fee only waived if you take immediate delivery?

BMW charges something like 1700 for the auto emergency braking/lane departure warning/blind spot monitor stuff that comes standard on a Tesla. MB charges 3-11k for different packages that contain their driver assistance features. Always seemed to me that 2500 for the best tech of the bunch was cheap compared to the competition. Someone probably figured they could make an extra 500 per car by raising the price because it's still on the low side vs their competitors.

Don't read too much into it guys. Air suspension used to be $1500. The Sound Studio... errrr... Ultra High Fidelity Sound system used to be $850 before jumping to $2500. Options have gone up in price as the car has become more popular. At $3000 Autopilot is still underpriced.

Someone probably figured they could make an extra 500 per car by raising the price because it's still on the low side vs their competitors.

Maybe, but then again, maybe not. We know new AP hardware is coming, so the only question is "when". This is as good a "when" as any.

Given the concerns they are causing to people with orders in the pipeline, like the OP, who are thinking of cancelling or face the possibility of getting legacy hardware, it seems like a pretty poorly thought out price increase for a measly $500 per car. Clearly, they could have found another place to get those funds without causing the strife that the OP is now going through.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex and HookBill