Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on GTA Highways (401/404/DVP) - Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
like others have already stated, i find it most useful in stop and go traffic where it can be more annoying to manually drive in. Where it does not do well is on the open road where you normally drive faster than the posted speed and the freeway makes a decent bend and the vehicle begins to lane straddle (drives outside the lines) and fights to maintain the lane.

Because of where I live, where we don’t have divided highways, I don’t get the benefit of the AP. Usually put it on if I am looking for tunes or a podcast, or reaching around for something, because it is way safer than a distracted driver. When I take a long trip on divided highways I will occasionally use it but I think I psychologically am like a new owner, since I don’t get to use it often enough to feel really comfortable when I do use it. As silly as it sounds, I lose track of whether it or TACC (which I use a lot) is on, because your brain defaults to whatever you tend to routinely use. So I believe that AP is a tool that has a particular utility that may mostly depend on where you live and what type of driving you routinely do.

I believe I would answer the question like this: yes, useful for GTA highways, but only if you routinely use that type of highway, otherwise can be distracting. And, I think @DMC-Orangeville’s answers are a reflection of the fact he lives in a GTA highway deprived part of Ontario like I do.

Last edited:
As silly as it sounds, I lose track of whether it or TACC (which I use a lot) is on, because your brain defaults to whatever you tend to routinely use.
I think this is the most dangerous thing about AP. Occasionally I will have to hold the wheel to prevent the car from going onto an exist ramp. That will kill autosteer but keep on TACC. I will forget that I now have to steer manually or re-engage autosteer and start drifting out of my lane.

Because of where I live, where we don’t have divided highways, I don’t get the benefit of the AP. Usually put it on if I am looking for tunes or a podcast, or reaching around for something, because it is way safer than a distracted driver. When I take a long trip on divided highways I will occasionally use it...

I may be doing it wrong but I use AP all the time, divided highway or not, and find it very helpful.

Yes, AP1. It nags every 3-4 minutes. If in the right lane, it ALWAYS tries to exit the highway. When I approach a truck (only on the right side) it veers right to the point where I always have to take control. Otherwise, lane changing is fine. Generally it tracks fine for lane keeping. Acceleration and braking work fine.

Also - it's boring. I like to drive, not be driven.

So, as I said previously, I wouldn't re-order auto-pilot.

What firmware version are you on? Have you tried it in those situations recently?

I haven't seen truck lust in several months, and while it still approaches exit ramps more than I'd like, it's much less than the car did under older firmware.

Boring in heavy stop and go traffic is exactly what we're paying for. :p

What firmware version are you on? Have you tried it in those situations recently?

I haven't seen truck lust in several months, and while it still approaches exit ramps more than I'd like, it's much less than the car did under older firmware.

Boring in heavy stop and go traffic is exactly what we're paying for. :p
I'm on 2018.6.1.641ef. I've had it for a couple of weeks. I tried autopilot on the 410 (6-8 lane "interstate") just after getting it. Results: It tried to take me down the Bovaird off ramp incorrectly, and hugged a couple of trucks, on the right side. BUT, it was smooth around bends, lane changed perfectly, kept to the speed of stop and go traffic between Derry and Queen, and generally held lanes. A couple of nags in the 10-15 minutes I had autopilot on.

So as I said in both prior posts: It works okay most of the time. It still does some things I don't like, and I really want to be dialed-in while driving, and autopilot doesn't do it for me. Again, the OP wanted opinions of whether we feel it was worth it, and I am the sole dissenting vote. My next Tesla won't have it.
There's one in every crowd ;)

Just drove to and back from Florida, ostensibly for the war air, but really I wanted to try a super charging trip. We took our X 100D. We got the AP update while we were down there. So I have had 2,500Km recently each on the old and updated versions. Quite a difference. In particular the tracking and lane changing were much improved. Used it all the time. For me, makes driving way more relaxing. Wish the nag was less frequent. I have to say it is so good now on a highway in either stop and go or flowing traffic that it is in a way more dangerous - it is simply so easy to not pay attention. The final 'regular' thing it needs for highway driving is to recognize earlier when another vehicle is entering you lane. My original S does not have AP and now I am going to miss it a lot - even for 400 series highways.

The super charging is simply the way to go. 40-60min to stretch and eat is barely enough time. The car was often ready before we were. My wife wants to drive all over the place now whereas before it seemed like an odyssey to her.

How long did your trip take? Did you stop along the way at hotels with destination chargers? I drove down from Toronto over Dec break in an ICE car and was wondering about doing it using the SC network. There were a couple of spots through the Carolinas where the highway was closed for bad weather and we were re-routed onto small secondary roads. I was wondering how that might impact access to the superchargers.

We have AP2 on our Model X For almost a year now (15,000 km) and absolutely love it. I use it in the GTA everyday on the 401 in open traffic and in heavy traffic for all the reasons listed by others above. Also great on road trips to the cottage or long road trips. Makes for more relaxing driving. Works amazingly at night and when it rains, making driving safer in my opinion. We just configured our Model 3 and decided that the autopilot was a must as it defines Tesla cars and also upon reselling it will be needed to differenciate this car from all other on the road.

DMC-Orangeville, I travel most Fridays to Collingwood. Use AP quite often on Hwy 26 with no problems. Frustrates some of the pickup speeders behind me because of the 90 kmh limit. My AP1 car also never has exhibited the "truck love" a lot of drivers complain about.

Ditto for me on the "truck love". I have read about it here but I have not experienced it on my AP1 car either.

Its a terrific experience. There are occasional issue and yes, you absolutely still need to pay attention to the road, but works wonderfully most of the time. With the new release for AP2, the lane changes are fantastic. Previously the car was slow in changing lanes, and I'd rarely use it while downtown because of how tighter cars tend to drive during higher volume times. AP2 with the latest update moves nicely between lanes. My only real complaint is I was an avid speeder (nothing crazy, but I'd cruise with the flow in the fast lane) previous to buying the Tesla, and now sometimes I find myself behind a car doing 115km/h and not caring.

Its a terrific experience. There are occasional issue and yes, you absolutely still need to pay attention to the road, but works wonderfully most of the time. With the new release for AP2, the lane changes are fantastic. Previously the car was slow in changing lanes, and I'd rarely use it while downtown because of how tighter cars tend to drive during higher volume times. AP2 with the latest update moves nicely between lanes. My only real complaint is I was an avid speeder (nothing crazy, but I'd cruise with the flow in the fast lane) previous to buying the Tesla, and now sometimes I find myself behind a car doing 115km/h and not caring.
At least you haven’t found yourself doing 140 yet :p

• Funny
Reactions: Struja
I would encourage you to get the AP option, not only for all of the reasons cited above, but because you must order AP just to get Adaptive Cruise Control. Even if you have concerns about AP, the ACC will make your commute much easier. Beyond rush hour commutes, AP and ACC really make long distance trips a pleasure to drive.

I agree with many of the recent comments here. If I am in control, I tend to drive 10 - 15% faster than the flow. If AP1 is driving, we tend to be going at the flow of traffic or maybe 3-5% slower. In the end, one might also factor in the speeding ticket fines that I have avoided by not always rushing around so much. No tickets, no demerits, no insurance premium hike and no appreciable delay to my destination arrival.

Does anyone else try to go as far as possible without disengaging AP? I get pissed off when something causes me to have to kick out of AP.

What's the farthest anyone has gone with AP engaged?

I haven't done any particularly long trips in my car but I have probably done at least a 150km stretch without kicking out of AP. Has anyone done essentially the full range of the car in one AP session?