Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot on HW2 doesn't show up sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had AutoPilot stop working on me twice in the span of less than a week: Once on the freeway, and once on local streets.

Curious from the community if this is a common problem? And if so, how did you get it to start working again? Stopping and parking the car did not reset it.

I took a photo below to show what I mean. The lane markings, AutoPilot and AutoSteer, as well as knowledge of the surrounding cars are all missing on the dashboard when everything is pretty clear. These are also streets and freeways I've frequented and have used AutoPilot on in the past so odd that they sometimes work and sometimes don't.

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 104
Pull the car off the road. Put in Park. Press and Hold both scroll wheels until main screen goes dark...
Press and Hold both buttons above the scroll wheels until dash goes dark.
These two procedures reset both systems. Not sure there is such a thing as a hard reboot short of

• Informative
Reactions: tangerine
All of my AP functions (TACC and Autosteer) stop working every day when I exit the parking garage at my office. I don't know exactly what causes it, but something about driving up and down a huge concrete structure including a very long spiral ramp throws it off and makes it not work. If I try and use it after exiting the garage, I just get a message saying something like "limited radar, cruise not available".

It used to take a good 10 minutes of driving after exiting the garage before it would start working again, but recently it has gotten where it starts working about 5 minutes after exiting. I can also pull over and manually turn off the car using the touchscreen and then turn it back on again, and that gets it working right away.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardD
Pull the car off the road. Put in Park. Press and Hold both scroll wheels until main screen goes dark...
Press and Hold both buttons above the scroll wheels until dash goes dark.
These two procedures reset both systems. Not sure there is such a thing as a hard reboot short of

Thanks @RichardD! I'll give this a shot next time this happens to me.

Service Center has had to recalibrate my radar twice. Once horizontally and once vertically. Fixed both times.

They can tell you whether that is the issue by reviewing the logs before scheduling an appt.

I have a SC appointment in a few days for an unrelated issue, I'll mention this to them to see if mine need to be recalibrated.

I had this problem with 17.18.50 firmware on my AP 2.0 car. It went away once I was upgraded to 17.22.46.

I'm on 17.18.50 currently. Did you get 17.22.46 OTA or through the SC?

I've read in another thread by a user with root access to the car who said that the autopilot goes off after 3 failures. To bring it up, he suggested to park, then turn the car off from Service & Reset screen by selecting "Power Off", then wait for about 3 minutes. He said that the computer responsible for autopilot usually turns off within 1 minute and when it does, you should hear a click from the glove compartment area. Turning the car on gives AP computer to try for another 3 times.

• Informative
Reactions: tangerine
He said that the computer responsible for autopilot usually turns off within 1 minute and when it does, you should hear a click from the glove compartment area. Turning the car on gives AP computer to try for another 3 times.
It's not a click, it's a somewhat loud fan noise.
Firmware update should be the first choice here, though, now that it's available.

Silly input here, I am sure you are aware, but if you are stopped and pressing the brake with your foot, the car will not present you with Autopilot. To engage AP at a traffic light, you need to stop, and wait for the ((H)) message on the screen, remove your foot from the brake pedal, then you can engage AP.

Silly input here, I am sure you are aware, but if you are stopped and pressing the brake with your foot, the car will not present you with Autopilot. To engage AP at a traffic light, you need to stop, and wait for the ((H)) message on the screen, remove your foot from the brake pedal, then you can engage AP.

Fully aware of that–thanks! My biggest concern was that the software failed to recognize roads and adjacent cars more so than having the ability to use AP on streets with clear markings. In the photo, I frequent this street often and 95% of the time, its able to recognize the lanes and adjacent cars, but 5% of the time, it shows nothing, not even cars in front of mine.