Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot: Overshooting Exit lane on freeway and proceeding into the shoulder.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 Model Y LR AWD FSD. Fairly consistently the vehicle will attempt to change lanes to exit the freeway and overshoot the lane change and cross over into the shoulder. Shoulder and lane markings we very visible to the eye so it's pretty scary. Has happened through all FSD versions, 80% repeatable at differing severity of overshoot.

This is continuing to occur on both v12 updates I've received. There is no traffic, its proceeding to an empty exit lane that is appearing due to the exit, but it then proceeds too far in the lane change and dives into the shoulder. Sometimes it saves it before exiting the lane and sometimes it just keeps going into the shoulder.

It's on my commute.

South-Bound I-95 Triangle Exit (most common incident), sometimes N-Bound I-95 Loisdale Rd exit.

Consistent that It's an aggressive lane change that results in the vehicle almost exiting into the shoulder with a quick swerve back into the center of the lane. ~30% of the time it does not succeed in keeping the vehicle in the lane and goes into the shoulder.

Could it be a camera calibration issue? No damage, impacts, or maintenance there.

Only other issue I've seen on V12 vs V11 is the vehicle will now also pick the wrong lanes to exit or enter roads and freeways, like it lost memory on which roads go where.

This is continuing to occur on both v12 updates I've received. There is no traffic, its proceeding to an empty exit lane that is appearing due to the exit, but it then proceeds too far in the lane change and dives into the shoulder. Sometimes it saves it before exiting the lane and sometimes it just keeps going into the shoulder.

It's on my commute.

South-Bound I-95 Triangle Exit (most common incident), sometimes N-Bound I-95 Loisdale Rd exit.

Consistent that It's an aggressive lane change that results in the vehicle almost exiting into the shoulder with a quick swerve back into the center of the lane. ~30% of the time it does not succeed in keeping the vehicle in the lane and goes into the shoulder.

Could it be a camera calibration issue? No damage, impacts, or maintenance there.

Only other issue I've seen on V12 vs V11 is the vehicle will now also pick the wrong lanes to exit or enter roads and freeways, like it lost memory on which roads go where.
If it is only one location, it's probably a mapping problem.

If it is only one location, it's probably a mapping problem.
Is there any reliable method to report mapping problems? this issue coupled with how it navigates to my house would be 2 significant navigation problems that I haven't figured out how to resolve in over a year.

I've tried
1. Bug reports via car
2. Google Maps, openstreetmaps, tomtom all show correct routing, but Tesla thinks it can't navigate route me onto my street
3. Waiting for firmware updates

Not sure how to get feedback to Tesla.

Is there any reliable method to report mapping problems? this issue coupled with how it navigates to my house would be 2 significant navigation problems that I haven't figured out how to resolve in over a year.

I've tried
1. Bug reports via car
2. Google Maps, openstreetmaps, tomtom all show correct routing, but Tesla thinks it can't navigate route me onto my street
3. Waiting for firmware updates

Not sure how to get feedback to Tesla.
Tesla is supposedly using Open Streets, but map updates, I believe, are twice a year. You can always look at the map date on the Settings - Software screen. Tesla does not use Google Maps for mapping, only for displaying to the user.

You need to look closely at times. all it takes is two line segments that don't match up perfectly to cause an issue.