Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on what the tacc-auto steer is locked on.

If auto steer is following the lines (blue not grey), it will maintain its speed and lane. It may speed up if you're going below your set speed.

If auto steer is following the car (blue not grey), it may follow the car into the next lane.

I say May because sometimes as the car in front changes lanes, auto steer will reacquire the lanes and stay in place.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K and Boourns
A lot depends on how well AP is reading the lane markings. It could mistakenly follow the car ahead into another lane if it's having difficulty determining where the lane is.

Not exactly the scenario you're asking about, but this video from another thread illustrates some of the issues AP can have with staying in it's proper lane. (about :25 seconds in)

[/QUOTE]

• Informative
Reactions: garsh and N5329K
A lot depends on how well AP is reading the lane markings. It could mistakenly follow the car ahead into another lane if it's having difficulty determining where the lane is.

Not exactly the scenario you're asking about, but this video from another thread illustrates some of the issues AP can have with staying in it's proper lane. (about :25 seconds in)

In that video, normal lane markings are obviously lacking and autopilot shouldn't be used...

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Those white pavement markers are pretty standard throughout the country so not sure how AP is going to workout unless all lane markers are changed to yellow or white paint.
While I don't live in Dallas, I have been all around the country and have never seen lane markers like that. I guess they are called Botts' Dots Botts' dots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and are around in some places.

You might consider submitting a message to Tesla regarding lane assist and Botts' Dots instead of regular lane markings.

When driving with autopilot engaged, maintaining a set distance behind traffic ahead, what happens when that traffic ahead changes lanes? Does the A/P disengage? Does it change lanes, too?

If it is similar to other dynamic cruise controls, it would likely speed up gently to maintain a set distance. In Subaru's Eyesight version, you have four following distance settings to choose from. It also depends on how you speed setting matches the traffic speed. If you are in slow moving rush hour traffic going 30 mph and you have dynamic cruise set at 60 mph, it will accelerate faster if space opens up in front. Good ideas to have your set speed close to the average traffic speed.