TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot Question

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by N5329K, Jul 9, 2016.

1. N5329K

N5329K Member

When driving with autopilot engaged, maintaining a set distance behind traffic ahead, what happens when that traffic ahead changes lanes? Does the A/P disengage? Does it change lanes, too?
    Robin

2. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Depends on what the tacc-auto steer is locked on.

If auto steer is following the lines (blue not grey), it will maintain its speed and lane. It may speed up if you're going below your set speed.

If auto steer is following the car (blue not grey), it may follow the car into the next lane.

I say May because sometimes as the car in front changes lanes, auto steer will reacquire the lanes and stay in place.

• Informative x 2
  3. OlderThanDirt

OlderThanDirt Member

Autopilot stays engaged and the car stays in its lane. Speed will begin to increase to your preset cruise speed.

4. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

A lot depends on how well AP is reading the lane markings. It could mistakenly follow the car ahead into another lane if it's having difficulty determining where the lane is.

Not exactly the scenario you're asking about, but this video from another thread illustrates some of the issues AP can have with staying in it's proper lane. (about :25 seconds in)

[/QUOTE]

• Informative x 2
  5. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

In that video, normal lane markings are obviously lacking and autopilot shouldn't be used...

• Like x 1
  6. StraightDave

StraightDave Member

Those white pavement markers are pretty standard throughout the country so not sure how AP is going to workout unless all lane markers are changed to yellow or white paint.

7. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

While I don't live in Dallas, I have been all around the country and have never seen lane markers like that. I guess they are called Botts' Dots Botts' dots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and are around in some places.

You might consider submitting a message to Tesla regarding lane assist and Botts' Dots instead of regular lane markings.

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

When I lived in TX they were very common. We used to refer to some drivers as "driving by braille" when folks had a hard time staying in their lane.

9. KZKZ

KZKZ Member

Botts dots are very common, especially in locations without the need for snow plows.

10. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

11. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Maybe it's supposed to....but if it doesn't then - What do we do?

Can we blame a beta?

Entering into AP...you have to click the screen that says that you are responsible.

Please let me know if I am wrong.

12. Garlan Garner

Is there an expectation of perfection - Even if the vendor says - Use at your own risk.

13. Garlan Garner

AP is not perfect, but its the greatest non perfect feature I've ever used.

14. grommet

grommet Member

Nothing to blame. The technology just isn't mature enough just yet. You must be ready to take control at all times. AP can get confused in many scenarios.

• Informative x 1
  15. Garlan Garner

Why do you think that its so difficult for folks to understand that AP isn't mature enough to be called Autonomous?

AP and Full Autonomy are vastly different things. Like Apples and Rocks.

16. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

If it is similar to other dynamic cruise controls, it would likely speed up gently to maintain a set distance. In Subaru's Eyesight version, you have four following distance settings to choose from. It also depends on how you speed setting matches the traffic speed. If you are in slow moving rush hour traffic going 30 mph and you have dynamic cruise set at 60 mph, it will accelerate faster if space opens up in front. Good ideas to have your set speed close to the average traffic speed.