TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot real or imagined?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by UnitaryExecutive, Aug 3, 2016.

1. UnitaryExecutive

I've got a 30 mile commute that takes about 40 minutes or an hour in traffic. Normally I'm a little tired when I get to my destination and I'm pretty zoned out when I get home in the evening. I was wide awake when I got home today after autopiloting to work and back - wasn't even angry in traffic.

Do you guys feel like auto pilot makes you less tired? Wife thinks it's adrenaline from the first day with the car.

• Like x 1
  2. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Probably 1st adrenaline . But after using AP for more miles than not for almost a year, I feel it's definitely a more relaxed drive and feel more refreshed at destination. It's marketed mainly for highway cruising, but my favorite use is in stop & go traffic, versus pressing brake/go pedal & making hundreds of small sterling adjustments manually

3. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

It's actually several things about Tesla that contribute. Like you at end of the day I am all chewed up and don't have energy left to drive. But my Tesla helps me get home safely and a bit refreshed. It's the overall driver experience and autopilot and TACC are major drive assist features.

• Like x 1
  4. electricity

electricity Member

Before I wanted to reach my destination asap , now i dont want the ride to end and could travel much longer distances without a problem. I get there a gazillion times less tired than before AP. Its really a radical difference for me.

5. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

Hopefully that's the same for me when I pick up my X. I'm used to speeding to work since it's mostly open highway that I drive.

6. jsollender

jsollender Member

honestly, now...do you feel slightly less "in tune" with the dynamics of driving when the car is doing the thinking for you?
    I love my AP, but feel slightly disconnected from the hyperfocus it normally takes to be an in touch driver. Don't get me wrong, I love the feature, but wonder if accident avoidance is better with real driver or AP.

7. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I think I have avoided more accidents with the AP/TACC features as they detect faster than I do even if I took the collision avoidance action. I have had instances when not in AP mode like turning right and you are making sure there is no traffic coming from left but I didn't notice that the car ahead of me stopped for something too. TACC would hold the car at a safe distance depending upon the angle if the radar detects the other vehicle.

• Like x 1
  8. pthill65

pthill65 Member

I think Autopilot requires a different kind of attention, one that is not as fatiguing for me. Just finished a 1200 mi roundtrip journey, and I felt more like the CEO of my car than the bookkeeper, if you see what I mean. I found myself looking further down the road, having less tension in my hands, arms and shoulders, and just generally enjoying the road more. I like it for stop and go, but when there's a lot of merging, etc, I don't feel as comfortable having it on for moments with more decisions to make. I expect this will get better.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1