Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot real or imagined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 30 mile commute that takes about 40 minutes or an hour in traffic. Normally I'm a little tired when I get to my destination and I'm pretty zoned out when I get home in the evening. I was wide awake when I got home today after autopiloting to work and back - wasn't even angry in traffic.

Do you guys feel like auto pilot makes you less tired? Wife thinks it's adrenaline from the first day with the car.

Reactions: xkwizit
Probably 1st adrenaline . But after using AP for more miles than not for almost a year, I feel it's definitely a more relaxed drive and feel more refreshed at destination. It's marketed mainly for highway cruising, but my favorite use is in stop & go traffic, versus pressing brake/go pedal & making hundreds of small sterling adjustments manually

I've got a 30 mile commute that takes about 40 minutes or an hour in traffic. Normally I'm a little tired when I get to my destination and I'm pretty zoned out when I get home in the evening. I was wide awake when I got home today after autopiloting to work and back - wasn't even angry in traffic.

Do you guys feel like auto pilot makes you less tired? Wife thinks it's adrenaline from the first day with the car.
It's actually several things about Tesla that contribute. Like you at end of the day I am all chewed up and don't have energy left to drive. But my Tesla helps me get home safely and a bit refreshed. It's the overall driver experience and autopilot and TACC are major drive assist features.

Reactions: ModelX
Before I wanted to reach my destination asap , now i dont want the ride to end and could travel much longer distances without a problem. I get there a gazillion times less tired than before AP. Its really a radical difference for me.

honestly, now...do you feel slightly less "in tune" with the dynamics of driving when the car is doing the thinking for you?
I love my AP, but feel slightly disconnected from the hyperfocus it normally takes to be an in touch driver. Don't get me wrong, I love the feature, but wonder if accident avoidance is better with real driver or AP.

honestly, now...do you feel slightly less "in tune" with the dynamics of driving when the car is doing the thinking for you?
I love my AP, but feel slightly disconnected from the hyperfocus it normally takes to be an in touch driver. Don't get me wrong, I love the feature, but wonder if accident avoidance is better with real driver or AP.
I think I have avoided more accidents with the AP/TACC features as they detect faster than I do even if I took the collision avoidance action. I have had instances when not in AP mode like turning right and you are making sure there is no traffic coming from left but I didn't notice that the car ahead of me stopped for something too. TACC would hold the car at a safe distance depending upon the angle if the radar detects the other vehicle.

Reactions: FarmerDave
I think Autopilot requires a different kind of attention, one that is not as fatiguing for me. Just finished a 1200 mi roundtrip journey, and I felt more like the CEO of my car than the bookkeeper, if you see what I mean. I found myself looking further down the road, having less tension in my hands, arms and shoulders, and just generally enjoying the road more. I like it for stop and go, but when there's a lot of merging, etc, I don't feel as comfortable having it on for moments with more decisions to make. I expect this will get better.