Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot scary lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed 2 fairly long trips this week. Manchester to Portsmouth and Manchester to Scotland.

Most of the journeys were on autopilot and they were pleasant enough with no phantom breaking incidents. To be fair the car performed beautifully.

However, (and it’s a BIG however)..... auto-lane change, 90% of the time it’s fine and works faultlessly but thanks so some crazy European directive where the car will return to its original lane if the lane change has not completed in approximately 5 seconds parts of the journey were nothing short of scary and certainly for the unsuspecting passengers. It’s so severe at times, if the passengers were dozing the swerving would wake them.

I genuinely believe if you have a car tailgating you and you change lanes to let them pass and for whatever reason the Tesla suddenly swerves back into the original lane as somebody is passing at 90mph a crash is seriously on the cards.

This new directive (about 12 months+ old now) is nothing short of dangerous. I appreciate it’s not Teslas fault and this time last year (or so) this behaviour never happened. That said, I can’t help thinking the software could (and should) be tweaked somehow to stop this severe and irrational movement.

There must be a better way for the car to behave.

Reactions: Alex987854
Yes, I have suffered a couple of aborted lane changes and agree it can be dangerous. I had one where I was pulling back in after an overtake, mid change the car lurched back into the faster lane. But by that time, the driver of the car behind me had put their foot down, just as we were swerving back in front of them. I suspect both of us had to stop at the next services...

One of the major factors in a lane change not completing within the required time is a delay is not holding the steering wheel in a manner that the car recognises. So immediately on triggering the lane change, make sure that you have satisfied the nag. That was the cause of the above.

The other major factor is when a car appears out of nowhere, such as pulling out of a platoon of traffic from behind then starting to pass. Seems to be a bit more benign.

If some antsy driver can't wait to let the lane clear before they commence their pass, I really don't give a hoot what degree of inconvenience they experience once it turns out I need to return to my original spot. So many comments are centered around "My Tesla is behaving very safely but some asshat is crowding me, what is Tesla going to do about this?" It is not Tesla's job to fix asshattery.