Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot takes off soooooo slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, drives me mad how conservative that take off is, and as you say it seems to keep getting more so with time instead of less. I always mash the accelerator to give it a helping hand which kind of defeats the purpose of using it in stop-start traffic, but oh well.

I keep bringing up this video as the ideal yet that seems the least of their concerns with autopilot for now. Sigh.

Yep, drives me mad how conservative that take off is, and as you say it seems to keep getting more so with time instead of less. I always mash the accelerator to give it a helping hand which kind of defeats the purpose of using it in stop-start traffic, but oh well.
Patience. You don't get there sooner by jackrabbiting behind the lead car. I'm wondering who would be the first to denounce Tesla if the lead car stopped suddenly and their Tesla did not stop itself soon enough....

• Disagree
Reactions: conman and beths11
i just had to come on here and vent about how slow the car takes off after a red light stop. It seems like they slow it down more and more. There will be a 20 car distance between me and the car in front before it starts speeding up more to catch up.

I second this, it's deadly slow! I had some highly impatient 'Richard' honk at me today for this very reason, but I didn't feel bad as I would have if I was actually driving the car!;)

Reactions: P85_DA
i just had to come on here and vent about how slow the car takes off after a red light stop. It seems like they slow it down more and more. There will be a 20 car distance between me and the car in front before it starts speeding up more to catch up.
I agree, it seems to be getting worse, not better. I'm already using "mad max" for lane changes but it seems more like "yellow mellow" to me. I always have to hit the accelerator now to keep up with the ICE vehicles!

I usually just give it a quick poke with the accelerator to get it moving off faster. At least it remains in AP, so not a big deal.

I do sometimes wonder if it's so conservative because of AP limitations in processing that the car in front has actually set off or simply because they wanted to make it that way to minimise the chances of tail ending the car in front if it suddenly braked again? Either way it does seem to be asleep when the car in front moves off!

Not surprised Tesla is being conservative in several areas.

Vehicles are slow to accelerate - and when a vehicle ahead turns off the road or a vehicle cross in front to a side street, the software currently slows down more than is necessary.

The software is still early stage - and it's probably better for the software to be more conservative in handling these situations, until Tesla has confidence they can operate the vehicle at higher speeds safely.

I thought it was only me :( Driving me crazy that it's getting worse. It wasn't like this before. Tesla AP is getting worse and soon will be just like any other car, I guess AP just like everything Telsa does, just a PR tactic. Let's start with good stuff, get noticed by everybody and then slowly turn it down and become just like everybody else but with a good reputation.

It started with "nagging" (even with the hands on the wheel), now it doesn't accelerate with the traffic. If we are going with the same pace, next it will refuse to stop and go and will require us to touch the gas to start moving after a complete stop.

I thought it was only me :( Driving me crazy that it's getting worse. It wasn't like this before. Tesla AP is getting worse and soon will be just like any other car, I guess AP just like everything Telsa does, just a PR tactic. Let's start with good stuff, get noticed by everybody and then slowly turn it down and become just like everybody else but with a good reputation.

It started with "nagging" (even with the hands on the wheel), now it doesn't accelerate with the traffic. If we are going with the same pace, next it will refuse to stop and go and will require us to touch the gas to start moving after a complete stop.

It's really not that bad! For me overall AP has been getting better over the last year, even if certain specific features might be a little worse.

First off, autopilot is not currently designed to be used in stoplight situations. You're using it outside of its designed purpose and then complaining that it's not performing optimally - don't you see the fallacy in there?

Second, for every speed demon out there who wants to be pushed into the back of their seat, there's someone who prefers a smooth ride. Personally I don't want to get whiplash every time I get stuck in stop-and-go traffic (which is pretty often, considering where I live). I very much enjoy the smooth ride of autopiliot in traffic.

I was talking about stop and go traffic, where traffic stops and then it starts moving (not too fast, even slowly) and Tesla is not keeping up with the traffic with super slow acceleration, where before it was like linked with the car ahead. Now I need to actually press on the accelerator to start catching up with the car ahead

In the past especially with box trucks, AP was quite prone to losing track of the lead car after it stops and then attempting to accelerate into it. Not to mention lane line detection is less stable at lower speeds. It's probably a good idea for its safety that it takes off slowly until Tesla nails those things down. It's easier to press the accelerator to confirm once you feel the car moving compared to constantly having freakouts and near accidents in heavy stop and go.

I don't mind how the car reacts to stop and go... with one exception:

Yes, it is slower on the uptake than I would be after being stopped (either in stop-n-go, or at a red light)... but lordy-pete does it hammer the 'go pedal' if you're following a slower car on the freeway and that car finally gets out of your way!

A good middle-of-the-road (pardon the pun) solution would be nice.

Second, for every speed demon out there who wants to be pushed into the back of their seat, there's someone who prefers a smooth ride. Personally I don't want to get whiplash every time I get stuck in stop-and-go traffic (which is pretty often, considering where I live). I very much enjoy the smooth ride of autopiliot in traffic.
Which is why all we want is some configurability. It should either have its acceleration configurable separately, or be tied into the "driving mode". If I have the car in chill it should chill, if it's in ludicrous, it should be. AP pays no attention to the driving mode setting.