TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot test on curvy road

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by riptide87, Oct 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. riptide87

riptide87 Member

Just updated to the new Autopilot software version 7 this morning. Took this video on a curving road near Fort Collins, CO. At the end there's an example of a curve that's a bit too sharp for the software to handle, which is why you need your hands on or close to the wheel at all times! Enjoy.

Tesla autopilot test Horsetooth reservoir - YouTube

2. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

So what would happen if you didn't slow down yourself?

And what would happen if you don't grab the wheel on the last turn? Off into the weeds?

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I saw the recommended speed for that corner to be 25 mph, and you were just slowing down to 30.

4. ctcjb

ctcjb New Member

I wonder if road glare is not an issue on the last curve....

5. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

That last turn looked to me like the issue might have been more about glare on the road than the tightness of the curve. Was the glare as pronounced in real life as it appeared on the video?

6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Agreed, you could have taken that at 50.

7. David99

David99 Active Member

So autopilot does not slow down for turns. Seeing it fail in such a simple turn isn't very encouraging. Glare is kind of a common thing.

8. Jool

Jool Member

#8 Jool, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    It looked like glare issues on that last corner to me. Seemed like the car was handling the road fairly well overall though!

9. thx1139

thx1139 Member

What stands out to me is that they need to get the auto-speed adjustment based on posted speed limits implemented. TACC works great based on you setting the speed and adjusting to other cars, but not based on speed limit changing. So when you get on a road like the one in the video you basically need to take over.

10. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Really??? What were you expecting??? All of the early returns I've read have been very positive with essentially everyone being impressed, if not at least satisfied... Keep in mind this is a beta 1.0 and for what it does, it's impressive. What it doesn't do isn't surprising either and we'll get there eventually.

Jeff

11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

If it doesn't slow down for turns, what happens when it runs out of grip?

12. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Assuming you're the driver paying attention to what the car is doing this scenario simply won't come up.

Jeff

13. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Autopilot != Autonomous

That is all.

14. tom66

tom66 Member

I'm pretty sure AP will slow down as it gets less confident, but it is very difficult for a simple camera to pick up that turn and interpret it correctly. Keep in mind, this is a highway autopilot which may work on other roads.

15. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    it is a bit irritating , isn't it, that so many people confuse autonomous and autopilot. Given that autopilot derives from aircraft butnobody thinks an autopilot can operate without constant management and intervention from a pilot. If somebody wants a drone
    the y can go to Google Cars.

16. ctcjb

ctcjb New Member

1st world problem....Why doesn't my self driving car have sun glasses to avoid road glare? Geez. What next?

17. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

I bet in a future software update it will slow down for turns automatically. Hurray for borg Teslas!

18. roblab

roblab Active Member

Ah, but I have a drone. It's full hands on, all the time. No Hands, Not Pretty.

Maybe I need an autonomous drone!

19. DougH

DougH Active Member

I would agree. I hope the car under AP will slow with turns and actually turn.

20. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

There are very few freeways, especially ones that adhere to the interstate standards, in the US that curve at very sharp angles. I can think of one in downtown Kansas City (I-70 east of downtown), but outside of that they are very few and far between. Given that this first release is targeting freeway driving, it would seem to me that it's met and exceeded those expectations thus far. The one tweak I see that's needed is better handling of exit ramps, but I'm sure that'll come with time.

Jeff