Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot trial, well it is a disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does this popup work? Do I have to either agree or decline the immediately when it shows up? Can I not wait for a road trip and start the trial that day?

You get an email within 24 hrs before the pop-up appears. When it does appears, you have to accept the trial/Enable or decline it (see pic below) . There appears to be no way to defer it. Once you accept it, the Autosteer and AutoPark options appear in your Autopilot menu, with a countdown in the upper right (2nd pic). You can select the countdown to purchase at any time.

At the risk of stirring things up, here is my 2 cents on the current EAP....

As someone who has used Autopilot 1.0 before and choose not to purchase EAP back in Sep 2017 due to it's lack of maturity, I was eager to try it out to see how they were doing compared to AP1. Some early experiences:

• On pretty straight highways, it does not seem to keep the lane as well as AP1, and does appear to have slight ping-ponging or prefering one side or the other. Enough that I feel it's not always keeping dead center. I did not feel that way with AP1.
  • The TACC is jerkier than I would like. It feels like a bang-bang driver, and I feel the deceleration and acceleration could be smoother. I thought AP1 did a very nice job on that, and in fact, if there was one feature of AP that I would have paid money for, it was TACC. But the way it works on EAP currently, it's a little too rough for me. Going from cruising speed to a full stop was also a bit hairy. Even though the follow distance was set for the max 7 car lengths, the car started braking much later than I would comfortably have done so. Not dangerous, but not smooth driving either. Again, AP1 did a nicer job on that as well.
  • My driving technique did not result in excessive nags, so that wasn't an issue for me. For people who want to be able to take their hand off the wheel often, it will probably be an annoyance.
Based on what I've read on the forums, this is already a big improvement from before, and most of these annoyances can probably just be fine tuned out. I have 13 more days to play with it, but as of right now, I am not inclined to change my mind and pony up the extra money yet. Don't hate me!

Img_0569.jpg

IMG_0573.PNG

This thread reminds me of the “column mounted vs steering wheel mounted paddle shifter” debate on the forums for those cars still using 19th century technology (it’s obviously column mounted, and you’re crazy if you think otherwise).

One thing we can all agree on is Elon must have been on Ambian when he thought up this EAP trial.

This thread reminds me of the “column mounted vs steering wheel mounted paddle shifter” debate on the forums for those cars still using 19th century technology (it’s obviously column mounted, and you’re crazy if you think otherwise).

One thing we can all agree on is Elon must have been on Ambian when he thought up this EAP trial.
Ambien and scotch:)

There's no reason for someone who loves autopilot to disparage someone who doesn't by saying "They just don't get it!" or "They are too stupid to realize the value".

Would you say the same thing about EV vs. ICE? About word processors vs. typewriters? etc.

AP vs not isn't about vanilla vs. chocolate -- a matter of taste -- It's progress. And it is safety.

You aren't doing people any favors by suggesting that their resistance and fear of vastly superior innovation is reasonable. The moral thing to do is challenge them on it. Many of them will thank you for the education and pushing them to consider and try new technology.

I've seen first hand a number of people who are deeply curmudgeonly and resistant to any change see the light about cell phones, EVs, and yes Autopilot. My efforts in this vein are done as a service to humanity.

• Funny
Reactions: sauce
I got the popup this morning, nearly peed my pants as I poked “start the trial”, got on the highway hoping to experience the joys of Autopilot, then received the “Autopilot ain’t gonna work until you get your sensors manually calibrated” message… and old-school cruise control now gives the same message…. and first available SC appointment is next week, a few days before the trial ends.
So yes, a bit disappointing. :(
Why not to make sensors calibrated on any Tesla if required hardware is installed, it should not matter if EAP is enabled or not. Sensor calibration should be independent of availability of EAPand should start when owner start driving. And of course, free trial should have "start button" too.

have been using autopilot for the past few days on my commute. i honestly can't trust it. curves are overshot, it brakes late and hard when the car in front slows down, and there have been a few episodes of phantom braking. it essentially drives like what i think a bad driver would do. late reaction times, swerving in and out of latnes, hard braking, hard acceleration. i spend more energy paying attention to make sure autopilot doesn't make a mistake than when i drive myself.

i could see myself using it on the 5 freeway from LA to SF in a straight line, but not in a day to day commute.

was watching this youtube where a guy does an M3 autopilot drive in temecula.

scroll to at 4:35 to 5:00, and also 10:40-11:05. those that use autopilot daily are okay with these kinds of errors? the car is reacting so slowly to curves and is slaloming all over the damn place.

Last edited:
I haven't been offered the test yet but have spent some time in both a model S and a model X loaner with auto pilot and have always been surprised at how popular it is. Steering is the least stressful part of driving for me. You don't really have to think about steering, most of the time it just happens. The most tiring things for me are keeping situational awareness, speed control and pedal hopping.

Pedal hopping is solved by just driving an electric car with good regen. At best, situational awareness requirements are the same for auto pilot as without auto pilot though you might argue that situational awareness requirements are slightly higher with auto pilot because in addition to watching the road for normal driving events, you also have to make sure you keep an eye out to make sure car isn't going to do something stupid which it will do occasionally on auto pilot. This leaves speed control. Standard cruise control helps but increases the complexity of keeping a safe distance from things in front of you. TACC is indeed a better solution for speed control.

I hear many people mention that they never feel tired in their Tesla after a long drive but in my Tesla I don't get tired either. Do people really get tired in cars because they have to steer?

When I get my test, I will test it again but if I could buy just TACC I would be happy.

• Love
Reactions: llirk
have been using autopilot for the past few days on my commute. i honestly can't trust it. curves are overshot, it brakes late and hard when the car in front slows down, and there have been a few episodes of phantom braking. it essentially drives like what i think a bad driver would do. late reaction times, swerving in and out of latnes, hard braking, hard acceleration. i spend more energy paying attention to make sure autopilot doesn't make a mistake than when i drive myself.

i could see myself using it on the 5 freeway from LA to SF in a straight line, but not in a day to day commute.

was watching this youtube where a guy does an M3 autopilot drive in temecula.

scroll to at 4:35 to 5:00, and also 10:40-11:05. those that use autopilot daily are okay with these kinds of errors? the car is reacting so slowly to curves and is slaloming all over the damn place.

Drive to Vegas. AP can be on 99% of the time.

It’s not ready for windy two way roads but it will get there.

The “lane keep assist” is as crappy two years later on my Volt as it was the day I got it. It will stay as equally crappy when I give it back to Chevy.

A noob ignorance with those new to EAP is they don’t know how to leverage it and force it in suboptimal scenarios and judge it at its worse.

You can see more of the environment when the previously manual tasks of lane keeping and speed regulation is maintained by EAP.

Second noob ignorant comment is “I am a better driver than POS EAP software!” Oh really? What if a rock takes out your windshield or you have a medical problem. What if it becomes very foggy or the sun blinded your vision? EAP gives zero bothers to those limitations.

Man still better than machine.
Man + machine is better than either of the two by itself.

Last edited: